What did you do during school assemblies?

by Qcmbr 13 Replies latest jw friends

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

This is a little off topic too, but I remember back in Gr. 9, our Jazz Band went on an trip for a few nights to Nanaimo for the Kiwanis Jazz Festival. Now I was not going to meetings at this time, but there were two JWs who were also on the trip (actually, pretty nice people). Well one of them had a mom who could only be described as a super JW. She made sure her son only stayed a day and when they were finished playing, she drove all the way to Nanaimo (which includes a ferry trip) to pick him up and take him home. He wasn't made fun of by other people like most JWs would expect, but everyone felt sorry for him.

Personally in assemblies that were non-holiday, I just didn't sing the national anthems (God Save the Queen at the start and O Canada at the end -- in the late 1990's). But in the holiday ones I just had to wait outside at the office, which was a throughly embarressing experience. Now that was elementary school. In Grade 8 @ Secondary, I was pseudo-JW, not doing holiday stuff especially for concerts, but by Gr. 9 I was doing all the holiday stuff and having fun doing it. Then in Gr. 10, I got to do all the Mayday Songs like Amo Amos, that chesnut song, the Coronation March by Meyerbeer, and the National Anthems.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    She made sure her son only stayed a day and when they were finished playing, she drove all the way to Nanaimo (which includes a ferry trip) to pick him up and take him home.

Classicist - my dad did the same thing. When I was 15 there was a school trip I HAD to go on as it was part of the coursework for my Georgaphy GCSE. So I travelled in my dad's car behind the minibus with my class 150 miles or so to Yorkshire, did the field trip and then my dad took me to stay in a guesthouse for the night before returning me to my classmates for part 2 of the field trip. It was embarrassing, but by this point most of my class mates knew how weird I was!

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I remember in primary school there were two of us that were JW's and we were supposed to sit at a table in the entrance hall outside where the assembly was being held. The entrance to the assembly was made up of about 8 large glass doors which probably spanned 25 foot across. At the bottom of the doors there was about 1 foot of solid wood so we figured if we could crawl along like commandos we could get past without being spotted, and it worked like a dream! We used to have fun re-arranging things in classrooms or defacing other kids pictures on the wall. It was ace, best part of the day.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

My sister and I always had to go sit in the principal?s office.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit