JW: Body parts found in subway =end of the world

by Elsewhere 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/crime/nyc-legs0218,0,5899349.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-crime

Body parts found in subway

BY DARYL KHAN
    STAFF WRITER

February 18, 2005

A Jehovah's Witness was handing out pamphlets about the end of the world in the Nostrand Avenue subway station yesterday when she saw someone carrying a bag of body parts.
    The parts, an arm and two legs, were found by a maintenance worker at 3 a.m. yesterday in a subway tunnel 200 feet north of the platform of the A station in Bedford-Stuyvesant, a police source said.

"How horrible; that's horrible," said the Jehovah's Witness, who has lived in the neighborhood for 36 years but did not want her name printed. "If this isn't the end of the world, I don't know what else to call it."

Initially, many commuters thought the remains were from a train accident.

Police have not identified to whom the parts had belonged, but said they appeared to belong to a man. The parts were taken to the city medical examiner's lab for testing.

"Yo, they just found a body down there," Vedel Folks, 18, said to his friend, identified only as Ref, after climbing to the street.

"They didn't find a body," Ref, 20, said, seeming annoyed. "Just parts."

"Yeah, well, that counts too," Folks said.

Ann Toussaint, 36, laughed upon hearing of the discovery, as many did. She said she's somewhat used to hearing about the workaday harm people are capable of doing to each other - shootings, stabbings, muggings - but severed body parts struck her as absurd.

"Anything can happen in New York," said Toussaint, who frequently uses the A station. "You've got to take the train, regardless. Everyday it's something new."

Toussaint said she has no choice but to continue taking the train every day.

"You have to go to work. You have to go out. You can't stay inside," she said.

Copyright © 2005, Newsday, Inc.

• minimus
    minimus

If this sister saw the crap I had just taken, I'm sure that would've been another "sign".

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

It must be the 'end of the world', she saw a bag full of body parts and all. I wonder what the people living through famines in the past centuries thought when they were forced to cannibalize their own children and dig up graves for food?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I laughed when I saw the title. Just another way to 'witness' I guess.

"If this isn't the end of the world, I don't know what else to call it."

• M.J.
    M.J.

Good point GBL. Or when dead bodies were piling up everywhere during the Black Death epidemic.

• Nick
    Nick

It is unfortunate -- but committing suicide by jumping in front of a subway train has a long track record.(Was that a pun? I hope not.) I can remember when I lived in NYC and the trains being stopped while workers collected body parts. End of the world? No, sadly, just the end of someone's life.

Nick

• Bryan
    Bryan

Men and women have been drawn and quarted into body parts for probably thousands of years. Though, today in the mind of the collected bOrg, it means the END... Armageddon!

lol

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• franklin J
    franklin J

...another day in the life of New York City

...no one is phased....a jaded bunch who would not accept the "end of the world" scenario even during the 9/11 attack....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Bryan....Don't forget from our own beloved Bible:

"Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home. When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel." -- Judges 19:22-29.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Oh yes... I love that passage.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit