Hypnosis and JWs

by ezekiel3 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

This is very interesting. I like the concept of hyper-awareness or altered states that do not rely on drugs. I'd like to hear more about these levels that you say you can attain.

Thanks,
    SNG

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    This is very interesting. I like the concept of hyper-awareness or altered states that do not rely on drugs. I'd like to hear more about these levels that you say you can attain.

You may wish to do some research on eastern meditation & the 8 Jhana states in particular. The ability to shut the little voices and concerns in our head is difficult to reach but once you are able to focus on just one thought, you will experiance a hyperawareness. The first time it happens is a little shocking.

The first time came after about a month of daily meditation (30 mins to an hour). It was like somthing in my head snapped, everything went black, like I was alone in the universe and I was all of the sudden more awake than I'd ever been. It is great! It's like a switch goes off in your mind and you feel more alive and awake than you ever could in a non meditative state.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

IP_SEC,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll head to the library tonight and see what I can find. I'm a rationalist, so I'm trying to avoid the new-wavy ilk because I just can't swallow it. If you know any books that take a scientific / rationalist approach, I'd be interested in learning the titles.

SNG

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I thought that most JWs walked around in a trance. Is that the same thing?

They do seem to be susceptible to 'suggestion' - from the platform.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I thought that most JWs walked around in a trance. Is that the same thing?

Me too Jim.

I have come to the conclusion that I must have been under a form of hynosis for most of my life, how else can I explain why I was/am unable to make rational thought myself. Hypnosis uses "repetition for emphasis" too!

Why I believed this all this time! It is very frustrating. I feel like a horse that was blinkered its whole life and only saw one destination - armageddon for myself. Is indoctrination from birth any different from hypnosis in its long term effects? Every self-destructive thing I did was because I believed so sincerely when I was in, and out.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    so I'm trying to avoid the new-wavy ilk because I just can't swallow it.

Ya they newage is a bunch of crap to wade through to get some bits of truth. Kinda like wading through the WT for a half truth here and there.

You might start with an english translation of the tantras and sutras as a basis. Altered states are based on brainwave frequencies (alpha, beta, theta) We experience these states everyday. Its just that for some reason the brain has a tendency to erase our memories of the beta and theta range which is why we have a hard time remembering dreams. The trick is allowing the body to go to sleep, but not allowing the subconscious to take over, but also by forcing the id and ego out of our consciousness during the meditative state.

So no I cant point you to any work in particular, just what I've pieced together from my own experience.

IPSec

• Neo
    Neo

Some say that the JW religion itself uses hypnotic techniques. Here's a huge article on that:

A Study of the Persuasion Techniques Used by Jehovah?s Witnesses and the Watchtower

The part specifically about hypnosis is down the page:

Cognitive Dissonance

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Funny the person(s) that introduced me to Guided Imagery were witnesses. We did Guided Imagery in our ACOA group.

Great and powerful stuff I highly recommend it to anyone it's like self enduced hypnosis and you can learn to do it on your own. Like BigTex said at no time are you under the control of anyone else. You are totally aware of your surroundings while experiencing something surreal and you don't need drugs to get there! Awesome stuff!

Kate

• heart2heart
    heart2heart

I agree that hypnosis for meditative/medical reasons is ok - the kind that people use for entertainment scares me a bit. I have tried self-hypnosis as a way of turning off my conscious mind and letting my sub-conscious mind do it's work (apparantly you can actually overcome bad habits, gain more confidence, etc by doing this). It is very relaxing and empowering.

JWs make hypnosis into something superstitious, but if done the right way for the right reasons, there is no harm. There are many levels of consiousness of our brain (I think 12?). Anaestheticians are aware of these and use them to "put people under" before surgery, etc, with medication. (Comas are a level of subconsiousness ). With that in mind - how many "strong" JW's would not undergo general anaesthetic if they needed surgery? But of course, they don't look at it that way, do they.....

I agree with the others that said hypnosis would cause a problem for the WTS if those with repressed memories began to recall incidents of abuse, etc that had been covered up.... who knows how many more cases there would be?

H2H

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit