What Love Really Is (or What Is Wrong with JW-type Love)

by MerryMagdalene 13 Replies latest jw friends

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

just a quote I recently stumbled on and wanted to share...

"...how few understand what love really is, and how it arises in the human heart. It is so frequently equated with good feelings toward others, with benevolence or nonviolence or service. But these things in themselves are not love. Love springs from awareness. It is only inasmuch as you see someone as he or she really is here and now, and not as they are in your memory or your desire or in your imagination or projection, that you can truly love them. Otherwise, it is not the person that you love but the idea that you have formed of this person... not as he or she is in themselves. The first act of love is to see this person or this object, this reality, as it truly is. And this involves the enormous discipline of dropping your desires, your prejudices, your memories, your projections, your selective way of looking... a discipline so great that most people would rather plunge headlong into good actions and service than submit to the burning fire of this asceticism. When you set out to serve someone whom you have not taken the trouble to see, are you meeting that person's need or your own?" ----Father Anthony de Mello

~Merry

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

The same question was asked in Night at the Roxbury, "What is love?..."

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Thanks for sharing.

DY

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Thanks Merry for posting that.

I suggest any one who is touched by that, anyone who feels wisdom in those words, purchase the little book: The Way To Love; The Last Meditations of Anthony De Mello.

He was beautifully enlightened and his words can help guide us out of the box.

j

• heathen
    heathen

The j-dub love is based on the belief that they can only love outsiders conditionally and that by warning them of the impending end is the only thing they are obligated to do . They really have a conceited love for themselves and will only speak highly of themselves .

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

from my point of view, love only exist in the minds of those who are still ignorant about how everything is really interconnected as ONE thing.

love does not exist once you realize that there is no inside nor outside, no others and no self by comparisons...there is only the ONE and Thou art that.

Love as a feeling seems to be a carrot and stick routine evolved to keep perfectly contented people feeling dis-satisfaction and seeking out appaernt others to find a sense of completion. if you feel you are only 50% of a person you will never find satisfaction or contentment within yourself.... when you realize that you are 100% of reality and there is no one out of place, no others needed to complete yourself...then love vanishes.

the feeling of love is always based on a comparison and that comparison is from a hidden ideal which is part of us by evolution, not reality, nor necessity... as individuals we do not need to keep the species going, so love serves a goal which transcends invidual needs wants and desires and is often contrary to the individuals best interests.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Zen, Anthony is basically saying the same thing, yet he does not void out or negate love. Love, being the clear and untainted conscious awareness of Oneness. There is Love, because there is no-longer someone other not to love. It's as if he is using the word "Love" synonymously with the conscious awareness of Oneness. Also, Anthony is coming from a Christian mystic background and I would imagine this has influenced some the language that he uses.

I would agree that "love" as the word is generally used is indeed based in comparisons and duality. Yet, what better word to use in pointing to the pure joy of enlightened awareness of Oneness?

It's not so much a disagreement as a semantics difference.

j

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I would agree with that, JamesThomas, and I appreciate gentle clarity.

~Merry

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    Yet, what better word to use in pointing to the pure joy of enlightened awareness of Oneness?

perhap no word will do, but the word love has been given so many meanings and shades that I rarely if ever understand what

another is pointing to when they us it.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Zen, I really do understand what you are saying; however, I feel you would enjoy the book too.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit