No Atheists in a Foxhole

by hippikon 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Exactly, you just proved my point. So why is my belief different from yours?

Because as I said, and you ignored, atheism is, by definition, a lack of belief. You have a belief, atheists deny that belief.

Got it?

• JanH
    JanH

If atheism is a form of belief, then health is a form of disease.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey Seeker:

I didn't ignore you. I just thought your point was a moot one. You just said the exact opposite of what I said with emphasis. What's that. Atheism is a disbelief in God or a belief there is no God. What's wrong with that? A belief is merely a strongly held opinion or conviction. Now, what atheist here or anywhere else for that matter would say he is not convinced by whatever evidence that there is no God?

ONE....

bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• Seeker
    Seeker

Bigboi, there is actually an important distinction to be made, which is why I made it. Lack of belief is not the same as a belief that there is no God. One is a denial, one is a step in a system of beliefs.

Do you worship Thor? No? Then is this your belief system, or is this merely a denial of belief in Thor? You seem to think that atheism is like your belief system, and it isn't. You believe something, atheists don't believe it.

As others have pointed out, you are an atheist about Thor, or Isis, or Vishnu. Atheists merely take that same concept and also reject your God. You stop one step short.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Seeker:

Ppl who worship Thor also believe in something I don't believe in. Atheists also have a belief that I don't share. Like you said the concept is the same. You just take it one step further. If you lack a belief then what is it in particular that you are trying to defend?

Let me add this, I shouldn't say defend, bcause it's not so much a defense you guys are putting up, more so than trying to get a point across. But what is it the point really? I see nothing wrong with saying that atheism is in fact a belief that's commonly shared by millions of ppl. Now the specifics may vary, but they are all connected by one common belief.

ONE....

bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit