Intelligent Design

by Delta20 234 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

:I give up, ellderwho. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about and I won't waste any more bandwidth with you.

I will.

AlanFs response to where does logic come from,

see:http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/71855/15.ashx

:Our brains, which evolved over several million years into the best social computers the world has ever seen, and into excellent survival machines that rely specifically on logically putting those "real, observable effects" into actions that result in survival.

This doesnt work, since all people are different and the human mind is often contradictory.
    We discover laws of physics by observing and analyzing the behavior of things around us. The laws of logic are not the result of observable behavior of object or actions, ie. we do not see in nature that something is both itself and not itself at the same time. The laws of logic are not descriptions of action, but of truth.
    Try again Al.
  • frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Ellderwho,

but the laws of logic means at least that a logic can work both way (no double standard) : Again if you can believe in an all being (Very powerfull) out of material (anykind any dimension, one or multiple all together or separed) you shouldn't have any trouble about believing that any materiel itself can have the same power ...

So here we are with lots of possibilities from one logic ... but now if you ask yourself about the purpose of god(s) : does that mean that we are his/their major creation and that HE/THEY are supposed to protect us ? No ... nothing to prove that ... Nothing. So it's like it's easier in your logic to believe that he is there for US / than we are just THERE and "WATHEVER from hints" ... now logically "whatever" could be way lot more of solutions that the one you propose as a UNIQUE GOD supposed to take care of us ... that's logic based on a comon logic ... if you can believe in a god (for whatever reason) you just can't deny ALL the OTHER POSSIBILITIES based on the same logic of being/existance.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

FBF:

I not sure I fully understand you. Or the point your trying to make, sorry.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Ellderwho,

if you can believe in an all being (Very powerfull) out of material (anykind any dimension, one or multiple all together or separed) you shouldn't have any trouble about believing that any materiel itself can have the same power ... or different kind of power/capacity

I mean the logic of the existance of god should allow you to agree as logic, that any material could have the same ability (even if we don't know what - cause you too don't know what is god - nothing can prove that) evolution just talks about material able to evolve with intelligency (good or bad side = but depends for what and who ? and what are we in this chain ?) material (anykind any dimension, one or multiple all together or separed) we could be all gods (or gods parts) you can go far on this logic ... you don't have to stop at only one superiror being ... the potential of possibilities are bigger than that and you only stick on this one.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

FBF,

I think you make a very good point:

I mean the logic of the existance of god should allow you to agree as logic, that any material could have the same ability ...... on this logic ... you don't have to stop at only one superiror being ... the potential of possibilities are bigger than that and you only stick on this one.
    Even when I cut out the middle of the above quote the thought is very clear. The point is get from you is,,'If we use a certain type of logic for our "proof of god's existance" that same type of logic if taken a few steps further brings us to 1000s or perhaps millions of different other possiblities'. I don't understand Elderwho lack of ablitity to grasp what you are saying. It is so simple and clear.
  • ellderwho
    ellderwho

frankie says,

:'If we use a certain type of logic......"

And that would be....?

:if taken a few steps further.....

Take it a few steps further and make it,

:simple and clear.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello Pole,

To get a more balanced view on the question of what makes language work, I suggest you have a look at the cognitive linguistics approach.

I definitely will. Language is my thing. Up till now I've examined it only by study of specific languages. Now I'm looking at it from a more abstract view, and it is fascinating.

The creol thing is amazing, but it only happens when the culture you are born into doesn't provide you with with sufficient grammatical constructs to fulfill your communicative needs.

Yes. My original point was simply that our need to create causes language to exist. If sufficient means already does exist, well, 'nuff said.

In the case you desctibed there was an activating stimulus: the children were brought together and allowed to interact. There are real examples of people who were held in isolation from birth to the age of 15 and more. They were never able to master any language after reaching the critical age. Just as you will never learn to speak Portugese like a native speaker, you old bastard (sorry that's Gumby's expression).

Yes, I understand that critical acquisition period. But the first part of your quote above almost seems almost silly. I take it as a given that 99.9999% of humans live in contact with other humans. So interaction is a given. The children were certainly not exposed to language - the point is that each generation created what did not exist before. But I think we are in agreement here. A single person in isolation would not create language. Again, to me this seems like a silly point, except for the fact that the poor guy would be deprived of a great tool for organizing and ordering his own thoughts.

If it was a tropical island, would they ever develop the concept of snow? Or is there some determinism involved anyway?

I really don't think this is a function of language. Let's say this tropical tribe has no word for snow, since they've never seen it and never spoken to anyone else who has seen it. Does this lack of vocabulary constrain their ability to think of snowy scenes? Or is it the mere fact that they haven't seen snow that constrains them? If one unusual day a tropical snowstorm dumps a meter of snow on the island, will the islanders somehow be disadvantaged in their ability to comprehend it? Or will they not rather invent new words for the new phenomena at that moment?

Or, from the opposite side, does a child raised in an enivronment that occasionally gets snow know what snow is before she sees it? Does the mere existence of the word in the vocabulary of others somehow confer an understanding in this child that the islanders are sadly lacking?

I consider vocabulary to be fairly divorced from the low-level engine that enables language. Words are just snap-in data components. Obviously, the more real-world knowledge you have, the more easily you will be able to create metaphor to describe other concepts. But this is a function of human ability to compare, anthopomorphize, etc, rather than being a magical power bestowed by possessing a set of words.

Maybe we should move this to a new thread?

SNG

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Elderwho:

frankie says,

:'If we use a certain type of logic......" And that would be....?

Quote 2/17 19:32 your post this thread:

Since, as I said before all the facts are not known. Since you cannot know all the facts it is illogical to say there is no God. IMHO its more honest to say there is not sufficient evidence.(for God)

And if we use the logic that I.D. proves the existance in the God of the bible,, we can the same logic come all sorts of other conclusions as well that takes us beyond the bible god senerio. If we are fair in our use of that type of logic.

:if taken a few steps further.....

Take it a few steps further and make it,

:simple and clear.

Well the way you quoted me leaves a lot to be desired,, it seems your quote of my words to be purposefully left unclear with important words left out. Don't forget everyone reading your quote and going up just a few posts and reading my actual words can see your lack of understanding of what is said. Which can be frustrating.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Franky says,

:it seems your quote of my words to be purposefully left unclear with important words left out

Verywell,

:'If we use a certain type of logic for our "proof of god's existance" that same type of logic if taken a few steps further brings us to 1000s or perhaps millions of different other possiblities'.

What certain type of logic are you reffering to? And take it a step further and make it work. And be very clear.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I correct my post above yours to be more clear but here is a quote from the above post with aliitle more added for clearity to answer your question:

What certain type of logic are you reffering to? And take it a step further and make it work. And be very clear.

And if we use the logic that I.D. proves the existance in the God of the bible,, we can with the same type logic come all sorts of other conclusions as well,, that takes us beyond the bible god senerio. That is if we are fair in our use of that type of logic.

Now do you get it??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit