Is Walmart right or wrong?

by JH 35 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Here in Quebec, Walmart decided to close a Walmart store because the 190 employees wanted to become unionized. Walmart said that they weren't making money at that store, and that's why they are closing. We all know that the real reason why Walmart wants to close is because the employees want to be unionized.

In this day and age, do you think that Walmart is right, or the employees?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Thank God for Walmart - a corporation with enough strength and balls to set matters right.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It is their store they can do what they want. Since when should an employer be forced to keep a store open with falling profits and an angry labor pool?

Kind of defeats the purpose of Free Market Society...

Jean

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Geez, why unionized? I mean after all they do give each employee one of those gorgeous blue aprons or smocks.

Dismembered

• JH
    JH

Many people here are angry at Walmart and want to boycott all Walmart stores. It's a law in Quebec that you can't close a commerce because the employees want to be unionized. That's why Walmart says that they aren't making money instead of saying the truth.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Walmart is wrong. I stopped shopping at Walmart because of the way they pay and treat employees.

Do you really think the store was "losing" money? Sure, it may have not been making as much money as other stores, but no Walmart store is losing money.

Kwin

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

When people are used to having the law tell their employers what they can and cannot do, I can understand why they'd be pissed off. However, Walmart is a company that is in business to make money. If they cannot keep the prices down and pay union labor and continue to make money at the same time, I don't blame them a bit for taking their marbles and going home. It's not a charity it's a business.

If I'd spent my life building a store up and had an employee mutiny, I'd probably do the same thing. What part of "I can't afford to accomodate you" don't these people understand?

J

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Personally, I have little use for unions, but I have no use at all for Walmart. I'd like to see all of them get the hell out of Canada.

Walter

• simplesally
    simplesally

I never go to Wal-Mart. It's always too crowded and I don't need my bags checked at the door to make sure I bought everything!

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I think it's great! True, Walmart is in it to make money, but so are the employees. Hell who isn't. I don't see what's so sacred about a mega-corporation harvesting as much profit as possible with little regard for the people that enable them to do so. Obviously the employees were willing to take the risk. Now maybe someone local can benefit from the $$ spent in their community on general goods rather than some foriegn multinational Company.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit