Lawyer Is Guilty of Aiding Terror (Women, When Are We Going to Wake Up??)

by kitties_and_horses_oh_my! 5 Replies latest social current

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/11/nyregion/11stewart.html?8br

Lynne F. Stewart, an outspoken lawyer known for representing a long list of unpopular defendants, was convicted yesterday by a federal jury in Manhattan of aiding Islamic terrorism by smuggling messages out of jail from a terrorist client.

In a startlingly sweeping verdict, Ms. Stewart was convicted on all five counts of providing material aid to terrorism and of lying to the government when she pledged to obey federal rules that barred her client, Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, from communicating with his followers. Her co-defendants, Ahmed Abdel Sattar and Mohamed Yousry, were also convicted of all the charges against them.

This just makes me sad. She completely broke the law - obviously, no doubt about it, and she even appeared to really flaunt the law when she actually read a statement from her client to the media. It was actually really stupid, too, b/c the statement she read said that her client was withdrawing support for a cease-fire. I mean, come on, was she daft? This totally violates the Social Workers Code of Ethics (okay, she wasn't a social worker per se, but that's my frame of reference, and I think a LAWYER should be even more aware of these things than a social worker).

And yet, my heart goes out to her...maybe just cause she's crying in her photo? Stupid reason, esp. considering all the problems that could have been caused by her behavior - a lot of people crying for dead relatives, for example, if this man's comments had inspired more violence. The fact that they apparently didn't is really beside the point, kind of like pointing a gun at someone - pulling the trigger - and the gun sticks. You still tried.

I guess I just see too many woman (and yes, sorry women, we seem to be the ones that are this stupid!) get duped by men with ulterior motives. There was an article - I think in - Cosmo (sigh, okay, I read it, can we move on?) about women in prison in some Central or South American country b/c they find a man who convinces them they are the love of his life and then they agree to run drugs for him. Okay, so, a 2-part question:

1 - What do you think of the sentence this lawyer got?

2 - Why are we so stupid?? When will we stop believing men who say they love us and yet obviously do not have our best interests at heart?

Kitties (of the "come on women, we are so better than this!" class)

• jwbot
    jwbot

Don't make this a womans issue. She is a lawyer who did what she could and broke the law and putting the national security of this country in jeapardy for her client (and ultimately, money).

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I would be interested to see the stats, though. Are women more likely to fall into these traps than men?

Jean

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow
    Ms. Stewart, who is 65, faces up to 30 years in jail. The judge, John G. Koeltl, set her sentencing for July 15. Because she was convicted of a felony, she will be immediately disbarred. She remains free on bail, but cannot travel outside New York State.

We'll see what her actual sentence is on July 15, but meanwhile, she's been convicted on 5 counts. If she's guilty of aiding terrorism, then of course, I'm glad she was convicted.

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    Don't make this a womans issue. She is a lawyer who did what she could and broke the law and putting the national security of this country in jeapardy for her client (and ultimately, money).

Fair enough. I just made the connection in my mind between her and the women I'd read about who risked their freedom to run drugs for these men in South America b/c they thought they were in love. And maybe she did risk national security for money, but I would be surprised if she wasn't somewhat taken by this man. I mean, she had to have known she was gonna get in trouble. Really, she's a lawyer, unless she just thought she was so smart she could beat anything. She was blatent about her behavior, and that speaks to me of a feeling behind it that is stronger than money. Kitties

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

It makes me sad that she was not able to prioritize her duties to her client and her duties to the law.

Tough situation I am sure, but I don't think she was duped by any stretch of the imagination. She should have known better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit