'Who Wrote the Bible' - terrific book!

by GetBusyLiving 16 Replies latest jw friends

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I bought the book 'Who Wrote the Bible' by Richard Friedman.. wow! This guy is a really respected scholar, not some crackpot-prediction-making jackass. As a typical JW, I didn't know much about how absurd the idea of Moses writing the first five books of the Bible really is. This is such an entertaining read! I totally recommend it.

Who's all read it, and what did you think?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I thought it was fantastic for liberating my mind and thinking with a new paradigm. However I understand that much of the material can be updated by reading appropriate scholarly sources.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I bought the new revised edition so hopefully its up to date. He did say that he has a new idea of who one of the writers are - don't tell me I haven't finished it yet!

• GetBusyLiving
  • stevenyc
    stevenyc

OK guys,

Enough with the 'its great', My ears are up!

Tell us, what's the synopsis!

Steve.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I think it's the first book a JW should pick up after he sets down Crisis of Concience.

To realize that the answer to "Who wrote the Bible?" is, "we really don't know, but we can certainly understand the very human reasons they wrote what they wrote", can save a person years of clinging to just one more hope without a foundation.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I am now reading "Beyond Belief" by Elaine Pagels. I bet you'll love it too.

I didn't "love" it, but it was certainly thought provoking. Keep reading. Knowledge is power.

• one
    one
    'Who Wrote the Bible' by Richard Friedman.. wow! This guy is a really respected scholar, not some crackpot-prediction-making jackass.

any reason why you think what you think

was it wirtten at leas 999 years ago, it should have been.wirtten at leas that long ago.

didn't the Catholic church compiled the "bible" the "Canon".

What the WT says about it?

answering the above question would be a great help to readers of this forum, informative.

To realize that the answer to "Who wrote the Bible?" is, "we really don't know, but we can certainly understand the very human reasons they wrote what they wrote",

why they wrote it?

OK guys,

Enough with the 'its great', My ears are up!

Tell us, what's the synopsis!

Steve.

exactly.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I have no idea what you were trying to communicate with your last post, one..

• one
    one

GetBusyLiving

I have no idea what you were trying to communicate with your last post, one..

Read the post from Steve and you will find out

I was just trying to get more info or validanton from you such as the reason why you think what you think regarding: "This guy is a really respected scholar, not some crackpot-prediction-making jackass."

AND i was trying to find find out if you know the "human reason" (as you quoted)

To realize that the answer to "Who wrote the Bible?" is, "we really don't know, but we can certainly understand the very human reasons they wrote what they wrote",

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit