I married a 'worldly' man...

by chrissee 6 Replies latest jw friends

• chrissee
    chrissee

So I was not allowed to help with a demonstration on stage....

I have been fading for over 2 years now, but I was talking with a friend at work (non jw, of course) and I was telling her that I don't go to the KH any longer. I told her of an incident that I think about on occasion, that sort of spurred my decision to leave amongst other things, too!

I was baptized by this time and going out in service regularly, although I wasn't officially on the school I would be someones househoulder for their parts. My father, an elder, had a part on the service meeting and asked me to give a demonstration with another sister. I readily agreed, because my daddy asked. (I used to be daddy's girl) Anyway, he asked me to help with the demo then returned to me later, either that eve or the next meeting and told me that I was not allowed to do the demo. Because I was married to a 'worldly' man!! I said, are you serious?? He had discussed his part with another elder and they in turn told him that I could not do the demo because of my husband!! Still to this day I'm stunned at that incident. My husband is a wonderful, caring man!! Better than some of the JW husbands I've heard of...

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else??

• upside/down
    upside/down

yup...

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

It's just another example of their made up rules and regulations. It's how they force people to comply by humiliating tactics like this when there were not grounds to disfellowship. Really stupid in my book, and something that I am sure has JC's eyes rolling in their sockets...

J

• blondie
    blondie

My question: were you an unbaptized publisher or a member of a JW family going to the KH or baptized (even if inactive) when you married this worldly man? That is the real issue. If you had already been married to a non-JW and then become a JW, you could have been used in that demonstration. The issue is not that you were married to a non-JW but that you married him against the counsel of the WTS.

Well that covers at least 99% of the situations; there is always an aberrant possibility.

Blondie

• chrissee
    chrissee
    Blondie's question: were you an unbaptized publisher or a member of a JW family going to the KH or baptized (even if inactive) when you married this worldly man?

I was pregnant before I married him, but was unbaptized at that time...we had been married for about 5-6 years when the incident happened. I had been baptized for more than a year at that point. But I guess they can make up their own rules for things, and I'm not one to stir up trouble about it to the elders.

• blondie
    blondie

chrissee, pretty weird even for JWs. My mother was married to a non-JW and no restrictions on being used and several of my friends had non-JW fathers, and no restriction about being used. It could explain why your father wasn't aware of this, one of those hidden, local congregation rules.

But they definitely don't like baptized JWs marrying non-JWs and can hold that over your head for ten years or more.

Blondie

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

My elder father would not allow me to be in my sister's wedding, because I was dating someone who was studying but not baptised yet. I had already bought the maid of honour's dress too. My sister screamed at me that I was ruining her wedding. I have such a loving family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit