WTS supports evolution

by Pole 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pole
    Pole

No mistake here.

funkyderek wrote on another thread:

For the Genesis account to be literally true would require a mutation rate 25 - 40 times that which is observed. Ironically, to be a creationist, one would have to believe in a much faster rate of evolution than any biologist would believe.

That reminds me of a thread from a few months ago where the issue of flood was brought up.

I remember I was really surprised to read that the WTS suggests such a hypothesis of post-flood speedy evolution, whose rate far exceeded that of any evolution theory suggested so far. Yes, folks, the WTS supports hyper-speed evolution:

*** it-1 pp. 164-165 Ark ***The ?kinds? of animals selected had reference to the clear-cut and unalterable boundaries or limits set by the Creator, within which boundaries creatures are capable of breeding ?according to their kinds.? It has been estimated by some that the hundreds of thousands of species of animals today could be reduced to a comparatively few family ?kinds??the horse kind and the cow kind, to mention but two. The breeding boundaries according to ?kind? established by Jehovah were not and could not be crossed. With this in mind some investigators have said that, had there been as few as 43 ?kinds? of mammals, 74 ?kinds? of birds, and 10 ?kinds? of reptiles in the ark, they could have produced the variety of species known today. Others have been more liberal in estimating that 72 ?kinds? of quadrupeds and less than 200 bird ?kinds? were all that were required. That the great variety of animal life known today could have come from inbreeding within so few ?kinds? following the Flood is proved by the endless variety of humankind?short, tall, fat, thin, with countless variations in the color of hair, eyes, and skin?all of whom sprang from the one family of Noah.

Their notion of "kinds" is one of the dumbest concept I've seen in print (species? families? and what do those "kinds" have to do with human races?).

Anyway they suggest that only 200 "kinds" of birds, 10 "kinds" of reptiles, and 43 "kinds" of mammals were necessary to evolve into the modern thousands of separate species. And it only took a few thousand years.

If a JW can believe this, why can't they believe in much slower evolution?

Pole

• Gopher
    Gopher

So ... are we to believe that the Flood wiped out most of God's creative work over millions of years*, and only a few "kinds" survived Arma- I mean the Noachian Flood? And THEN, in just a couple thousand years or so all the species miraculously re-emerged?

And what is a "kind" anyhow? Is it an order, family, genus or species?

*The Watchtower admits the creative days could have been a very long time. They no longer hold to the notion that each creative "day" was actually 7,000 years.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

The mental gymnastics people will do when they believe in fairy tales rather than logic, facts and reason.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yup, there was some good discussion on this in your other thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/77620/1.ashx

One of the other evolution threads also went into some of the specifics of this.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    That the great variety of animal life known today could have come from inbreeding within so few ?kinds? following the Flood is proved by the endless variety of humankind?short, tall, fat, thin, with countless variations in the color of hair, eyes, and skin?all of whom sprang from the one family of Noah.

Two false statements do not "prove" each other. All in less than 4,400 years (WTS states flood occured 2370 BC). Unbelievable.

The deep South has been inbreeding for 400 years, I don't see any new human "kinds" down there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit