New here

by Delta20 145 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

OOPS!

My mistake, in my haste I thought Delta meant Charles Taze Russel.

Not my hero Bertrand. At least you can understand what he's saying well enough to formulate a possibly valid counterexample.

HB

• Delta20
    Delta20

hamsterbait,

Russell as in Bertrand Russell....

Valis,

So, Philosophers are there to disagree with each other. I disagree with most philosophers all the time, of course depending on the subject.

Country_Woman,

Hi =)

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Delta20,

is there a better religion out there

What do you mean by better?

Steve.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Delta,

I humbly bow to your knowledge of philosophy so profound that at such tender years you can so confidently disagree with most philosophers.

I can sleep tonight. When you are famous and have followers....

Come back in twenty years when you have learned how arrogant you are. And have to admit that the WTS filled your head with what it did!!

But of course they have "God thinking powers," unlike me, you or anyone else on this forum.

HB

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jaron:
    Most religions that I've actually attended have shown far more sincerity about their beliefs than the WTS. The manner in which studies are conducted, and even the way the literature is constructed use leading arguments that obsfucate some of their harder-to-swallow doctrines like disfellowshipping.

If you're interested in a monotheistic, bible-based religion then Judaism has some fine points. I fail to see how you believe that the WTS is more truthful than that.

You never did comment on the following:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/84794/1398657/post.ashx#1398657

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Delta20,

I haven't read the rest of this thread, so I don't know where it has gone from this quote forward yet. I did want to make a few comments in response to what you posted here:

The WTS decided that the hemoglobine produced in laboratories and which can act as substitute blood isn't what the bible means with blood, but the blood in bloodtransfusion is what falls under blood.

You said a mouthful, but I am not sure you realize it. "The WTS decided" something they have no authority to decide. Hebrews 5:13, 14 makes that clear. If that isn't enough, try 1 Corinthians 1-4; James 1:5-8; 1 John 4:1; the book of Galatians; and John 14-16.

You mentioned that you admire them for their strict adherence to the Bible. Paul said he wanted the Corinthians to learn the rule, "Do not go beyond the things written." He didn't. He encouraged the Corinthians not to do so. He encouraged his friend Timothy not to do so. Often, the WTS goes far beyond the things written and claim no spirit inspiration in their doing so.

I hope you will fair-mindedly determine whether what they tell you is truth while they state freely that the spirit is not the source. (John 14, 16; 1 John 4:1)

Under the subheading "How to Avoid Falling Away from the Faith" The Watchtower article entitled "Distressed by Doubts" (w92 7/15 pp 19-22, paragraph 14) we read:

We have seen that one of the basic causes of apostasy is a lack of faith through distructive doubt and that the word translated "doubt" also means "to distinguish." The apostate makes himself a decider of what is true and what is false, of what is "good and bad" in the way of spiritual food. He becomes presumptuous. ? Compare Genesis 2:17; 3:1-7

How can I reconcile this view of "distinguishing" with Paul's directly stated means to identify mature christians at Hebrews 5:13, 14? Diakrinos is the root of the Greek word used by Paul in Hebrews 5:13, 14, yet the WTS teaches that using our own judgement to determine between good and bad food would be presumptuousness leading to apostasy.

Comparing Hebrews 5:13, 14 against that article's statement of a "basic" cause of apostasy, I had to conclude that according to the WTS seeking to become spiritually mature was equivalent to seeking to become an apostate. Now that I know the "basics" of their view of apostasy, I am much more determined to become spiritually mature.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit