Book study books

by Heatmiser 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

When I was "in" the books where hard back. Now with them being paperback I would imagine them being very flimsy. I was visiting my Grandparents a few months ago and my JW parents also happened to be visiting at the same time. I noticed that the study book they where using bound with a plastic spiral. I asked them "Is this how they print the books now?". They told me that the books fall apart easier so they take the study books to kinko's and have them bound that way so they will last through the book study.

Is this a common thing with other JW's? I know my parents are a little off of their rocker, just wondering if they are extra nutty on this one.

I have paperback books that I read and have reread over and over, abused, bent and mangled and they have stayed together relativly well considering the abuse. Are WTBS books so cheaply made that they fall apart that easily?

Heatmiser

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No I know quite a few witnesses that enjoy binding books and the othe rfavorite is getting their KMs covered in plastic - witness books are in my opinion reasonably well made

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Yeah, they are generally good quality, and on this I must concede. They made rather fine bibles and I've only now found bibles that were better quality than theirs (quality of book, not translation): Cambridge University Press. WT uses rather nice bible paper that you rarely see in ones on the market. For example, I've a Cambridge bible that was about $100 and still didn't have India paper, but my other Cambridge one does (110$). I still can't believe how much they cost, but the leather is of extremely good quality (French Moroccan and Calfskin, not bonded leather like the WT bibles).

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Yeah, they are generally good quality, and on this I must concede. They made rather fine bibles and I've only now found bibles that were better quality than theirs (quality of book, not translation): Cambridge University Press. WT uses rather nice bible paper that you rarely see in ones on the market. For example, I've a Cambridge bible that was about $100 and still didn't have India paper, but my other Cambridge one does (110$). I still can't believe how much they cost, but the leather is of extremely good quality (French Moroccan and Calfskin, not bonded leather like the WT bibles).

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

The bibles are of good quality altho I've seen that decrease, pages start falling outa mine. (I'm pretty rough on them)

I think the study books are complete crap, compared to the quality of the old days, but still better than most paper backs you find on the market. Yes many around here get them spiral bound or they will wear out before the end of the study.

IPSec

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Very common to take the crappy, stiff paperbacks to kinko's and have them spiral bound. The other common, albeit "frowned on" practice is to find someone on the web who has put together all the material for the TS/SM and then put it into a large spiral bound book. This is of course very handy. With the need for cash evident, why in the world does brooklyn bethel not catch on to this??

• inquirer
    inquirer

I honestly don't go to meetings, but I guess I wouldn't know what it would be like going to meetings now with these paperback books... but I always thought the hardcover books were overdone! It's only a book you'll use for a little while and then you'll just shove it on the bookshelf -- why bother. I love the way they do it now.

But, I am anti-hardcover books. Period. I don't like reading from that NWT as much with that hardcover black Bible. I'd rather have the marone Bible leather one or the black one. I always preferred the marone one best though! :D

• Pole
    Pole

Have you noticed the WTS seems be putting out fewer and fewer books? When was the last time they published an entire book? What is the next publication to be studied?

Pole

• blondie
    blondie

Pole, the last 2 books were a rewrite of the Worship book and a cut-and-paste job, Draw Close to Jehovah. Next to be studied is the Daniel Prophecy book which has been studied once (and thoroughly detested by elders and rank and file alike). No one has the cachet to write new information any more and have it be accepted. The mantle of Fred Franz has never been transferred to anyone so they just rewrite his old stuff. When I do my research on the CD, I put certain phrases in and find certain paragraphs in 3 to 4 articles over the last ten years that are almost word for word....

The Daniel prophecy book was supposed to be a rewrite, update of the Your Will Be Done Book from 1958. I predict there will be another drop in attendance at the book study.

Blondie

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

Thank you for the info people. It was a question that popped into my head after reading another post and I didn't want to hijack that thread.

I left in 92 and at that time we where getting a new book every year like clock work. They where still hard cover. I had many bound volums going back to the 50's and many books going back to the early 40's. As my exodus from the bOrg coincided with my marriage breakup I let the EX have all the JW crap. In hindsite I guess I should have kept it all........lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit