KM in 1974 praising people for selling all their stuff and pioneering?

by ithinkisee 58 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Interesting thread. I, too, lived through the 1975 experience. There was a lot more propaganda than just that KM. I had just left high school and had been pioneering for a couple of years. There was a push to move "where the need was great" to pioneer, so in 1974 I discussed the matter with our circuit overseer. he recommended against it because I was too young and with 1975 so close I should just wait out Armageddon at home with my family. I moved anyway, and found that the push for 1975 was going on in Central America too. I sold all my stuff, but fortunately I didn't own much (although I still pine for my first edition White Album and vinyl go-go boots)

We all watched the numbers of witnesses grow in the years before 1975, and we were told this was yet another sign of the end.

My uncle (an elder) sold his house and went pioneering, but he got lucky (or smart?) and bought another one as soon as 1975 ended. I remember hearing a lot of talks at assemblies and meetings that reinforced the end being in 1975. My pioneer aunt related an experience about how they had tried to book international assemblies across Europe for 1975, but mysteriously found every venue unavailable. When they changed the date back to 1974, they had no problems booking. (JW's have always been very good at spreading these kinds of stories).

I remember all of us pioneers being strongly encouraged (and shown by example) to use the "Truth" book, quoting the particular sections that referred to 1975, i.e. "Dean Acheson in 1960, "in 15 years this world will be too dangerous to live in", and the one about food shortages "Famine - 1975". Thank you Quotes for sharing the reprinted sections of the "Truth" book - if I still needed proof of a cover-up re 1975, those changes made it very clear. (http://quotes.watchtower.ca/mini_tru.htm)

I also remember the fallout, and how the elders quickly tried to backtrack in 1976 - the society, of course, blamed all the followers for making incorrect assumptions. They told us that only those who were "weak" had spread the 1975 rumours, so of course everyone quickly tried to dis-associate themselves from ever having supported the belief. The mantra became, "are you weak and shallow and only serving Jah for a date? or are you a good, loyal, witness serving for life?"

It was like they were playing a power game, seeing just how far they could tease everyone. Don't ever believe anyone who tries to deny the truth of what went on in 1975.

if you do any psychology studies - you realize that the tactic of the society to ask questions like, "isn't this a fine way to spend the last days" and the way they only make implications and leave it to the reader to fill in the blanks - is really a very powerful way to manipulate people, far more powerful than if they actually came out and said what they meant.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

. A fine point made in the talk "Choosing the Best Way of Life" was that Jehovah God will save us from stumbling?even as he did David in the case of Nabal?s insolence?but we must do our part. The brothers also appreciated the candor of this same talk, which acknowledged the Society?s responsibility for some of the disappointment a number felt regarding 1975. YB 1980 pg.30-31.

For some of the dissappointment?? Ya gotta be kidding me!!

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Watchtower, 1980 March 15, pp. 17-18 Choosing the Best Way of Life

5 In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlastingin Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man?s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

6 In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: ?If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.? In saying ?anyone,? The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah?s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Here are three of my favorites (after) the 1993 quote . . . which is my all time favorite.

*** w86 3/15 p. 19 Allow No Place for the Devil! ***
    15 Yes, Jehovah's people have had to revise expectations from time to time. Because of our eagerness, we have hoped for the new system earlier than Jehovah's timetable has called for it. But we display our faith in God's Word and its sure promises by declaring its message to others. Moreover, the need to revise our understanding somewhat does not make us false prophets or change the fact that we are living in "the last days," soon to experience the "great tribulation" that will pave the way for the earthly Paradise. How foolish to take the view that expectations needing some adjustment should call into question the whole body of truth! The evidence is clear that Jehovah has used and is continuing to use his one organization, with "the faithful and discreet slave" taking the lead.

*** w84 12/1 p. 18 Keep Ready! ***
    14 True, some expectations that appeared to be backed up by Bible chronology did not materialize at the anticipated time. But is it not far preferable to make some mistakes because of overeagerness to see God's purposes accomplished than to be spiritually asleep as to the fulfillment of Bible prophecy? Did not Moses make a 40-year miscalculation in trying to act ahead of time to remove Israel's affliction? (Genesis 15:13; Acts 7:6, 17, 23, 25, 30, 34) Were not Christ's apostles overanxious to see the Kingdom established, not to speak of their complete misunderstanding as to what the Kingdom really is? (Acts 1:6; compare Luke 19:11; 24:21.) Were not the anointed Christians in Thessalonica impatient to see "the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ" and "the day of Jehovah"??2 Thessalonians 2:1, 2.
    15 There is nothing basically unscriptural in using chronology in efforts to learn "the appointed time" for the fulfillment of God's purposes.

*** w79 7/1 p. 29 How Jehovah Guides His People ***
    17 However, during these "last days," have erroneous views about this system's end or telos (Greek) been held in advance by some of Jehovah's servants? Yes, they have. Some of these views involve the length of time it would take for the end to come. Out of zeal and enthusiasm for the vindication of Jehovah's name, Word and purposes, and the desire for the new system, some of his servants have at times been premature in their expectations. This is similar to the view that the disciples had as to the imminence of God's kingdom in their day. (Acts 1:6) But because expectations have at times been premature and so have not been fulfilled, does this mean that God has somehow changed his purpose? Not at all. "My own counsel will stand, and everything that is my delight I shall do," says Jehovah. (Isa. 46:10) Hence, Jehovah's purposes, and time, for establishing a righteous new order are firmly fixed.

• garybuss
    garybuss
    But is it not far preferable to make some mistakes

Here is the Watch Tower Corporation philosophy in one line. It's BETTER to make mistakes than have facts to publish even thought people's lives are being affected in a negative way like my first wife rejecting medical treatment based on the Watch Tower Corporation's "better to be wrong" policy.

• steve2
    steve2
    In saying ?anyone,? The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah?s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

What a convoluted, awkwardly phrased sentence, especially the part that reads "....hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the...." Who let this bumbling phrase get through the proof-reading?

Ah, it must have been approved because it hides the fact that whatever was written was officially approved for publication. I'd admit even a skeric of respect for the GN if they had just come out and said, "We got it wrong and we're sorry for building up your hopes".

• garybuss
    garybuss

"The literature...is published in the name of Watchtower Bible and Tract
    Society. Regardless of who may write certain articles they are checked
    carefully by members of the Governing Body before they are published. So
    they are properly viewed as coming from the Society." (WT 1959 October 1
    p. 607-608)

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    The evidence is clear that Jehovah has used and is continuing to use his one organization, with "the faithful and discreet slave" taking the lead.

It gets back to, if Jehovah is perfect why would he use an imperfect organization?

Will

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    The evidence is clear that Jehovah has used and is continuing to use his one organization, with "the faithful and discreet slave" taking the lead.

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but logic tells me that Jehovah CANNOT be using this Organisation, as to mislead so many would be a Sin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit