Counting service time in a creative way

by nevaagain 41 Replies latest jw friends

• nevaagain
    nevaagain

Couting time and, how to count time while doing as little service as possible is often a hot topic around witnesses. I even overheard pioneers discussing about it.

They call it "creative time counting" (I translated that phrase from a different language so bear with me ;-). I wonder how many pioneer hours are real hours in service. They even developed a technique called the "pioneer walk". This is walking as slow as possible while you are in service. They say this is to finally appreciate what Jehovahs did around you, like the nature. But why do that while you in service? Do it on your "own" free time. Not while you are counting hours.

Often when two witnesses go in service, even when they spend the same amount of time doing it. It can still result in writing down a different amount of time because some are more creative than others.

So there was this pioneer in my home congregation where I often would go to service iwth, he would always choose the territories that are outside the city with a minimum driving distance of 30 to 45 minutes. After a field service meeting he would drive to a nearby super market and start there by offering the magazines to a random stranger he then would proceed to drive the long distance to the territory and count it as time. On his way back he would make the occasional phone call to one of his studies (if available) or some other kid in the congregation. So while my concience would only allow me to count one hour, his concience allowed to count up to two hours or more.

Then there was this pioneer brother, still a kid basically and newly baptized. He was the new star in the congregation. So I went with him in service in a territory so after awhile we got hungry and went to a fast food place. So while I was still ordering he chose to sit back as far from the counter as possible. I thought he wanted to make sure no other people where sitting next to us because he wanted to tell me something. Then as I approached the table with the food I saw that he placed a Watchtower magaine on the table. So he STILL counted that as time spend in service even though noone possibly could have seen the magazine!

Then I know many sisters they go street witnessing on streets with a lot of shops. And they call it "ministry shopping". It is the art of going shopping and still squeeze a little bit of informal witnessing to still count the hours as a whole. Not sure if many pioneers are doing that, but I know at least of a former pioneer sister who did exactly that a few times.

I am sure you have your own stories how somebody can as many hours as possible while at the same time doing as a little as possible preaching.

• prologos
    prologos
    It was not creativity, but ~ 39 years of "proclaiming". "publishing" and freed of "Special Pioneer" agreements, I considered me and my family to be "on salary" not  hourly payd day laborers.
  • Rattigan350
    Rattigan350
    Like doing taxes, gotta get creative.
  • Splash
    Splash

The mental justifications are brilliant.

If you offer a magazine to someone who completely ignores you, or if you knock on a door of a house that is obviously unoccupied, your journey to outlying territory can be counted as 'time'.
    If you just drive straight out to the territory without either of these little rituals, you cannot count your time.

Even better, do one of these things before you even meet for field service, preferably near your own home. This way you can count even more time, just knocking off 10 minutes for the field service meeting.

You've probably got 45 minutes before you even reach your territory!

Do a 'call' when you're back in town and bingo! You're on target to meet the congregation average.

• cappytan
    cappytan

I'm Sorry, I'm not trying to be an apologist, but travel counts. It's time you're spending doing something when you could be elsewhere watching TV, reading a book or something else not service related.

• nevaagain
    nevaagain

@cappytan

I had that conversation many times with JWs and obviously everybody has his own opinion. Many say like you correctly that travel should count because it is still service related, you don't travel for fun, you travel to go to service.

But what if you travel with a group of four to go to a terrirtory and while you are driving, the others play with their smartphone. Should it still count? So instead of watching youtube videos at home, they watch them on their way to the territory. So thats why I think the official word from WT is that travel time does not count. Thats why some genious pioneers try to circumvent that.

Anyway JWs only have that discussion because they have to write a number on a piece of paper at the end of the month.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN
    When going out on Unassigned Territory [Seldom Worked/ Rural Territory] work - Bethalites instructed us to call on the first person you saw walking along the road [country road] and talk to them as this "started" the clock. Thereafter the clock was "running" even although we were still in transit to the territory - We used to rack up 10 hours / day like that.
  • Magnum
    Magnum
    cappytanI'm Sorry, I'm not trying to be an apologist, but travel counts.

Travel time doesn't count according to official JW rules.

Organized to Do Jehovah's Will pg 86: "There are essential activities for which time is not counted, such as getting ready for field service, attending the meeting for field service, and traveling to and from the territory."

Example: Leave home and drive 15min to meeting for service. Sit through 15min meeting for service. drive 20min to territory. work 1hr in territory. Drive 20min back to meeting location to drop off othersl. Drive 15min home. Time counted = 1hr (unless do some kind of service on way to territory and way home).

I agree that it should count, but, again, it doesn't according to the rules. Therefore, the need arises for the creativity that others have mentioned on this thread.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Travel time doesn't count according to official JW rules.

It counts if I say it counts. I kid, I kid.

But seriously....what momma don't know, won't hurt her.

• MissFit
    MissFit
    Hub

Hi Nevaagain,  so are you still in and trying to get your 10 every month? 

You are right, they are being pressured by having to report.  Quantity is more important then quality.  Just think what the reports would look like if they only counted the time spent talking to people.

I once counted time spent with a group & CO 's wife, sipping hot chocolate, and writing not at home letters I would never send.  It was a pleasant 2 hours.

Miss.Fit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit