Active JW engineer received award for Habitat for Humanity

by blondie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I thought that was a religious-based organization?

His devotions were recognized in 1998, when he received the Angel Network Award from Oprah Winfrey for his work with Habitat for Humanity.

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050131/NEWS02/501310328/1006

http://www.habitat.org/how/christian.html

Habitat for Humanity: A Christian Ministry

Habitat for Humanity International is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian organization dedicated to eliminating substandard housing and homelessness worldwide and to making adequate, affordable shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat is founded on the conviction that every man, woman and child should have a simple, decent, affordable place to live in dignity and safety.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Wow. great article, he sounds like a good man. That is weird though, I remember HFH being critisized when I was a JW.

• franklin J
    franklin J

very nice.

I have donated time to building houses with Habitat for Humanity; along with other architects and builders. They have built many houses for underprivledged people in the North East.

It is not as "altruistic" as it sounds. In reality; many individuals have these low budget homes who would or could not have otherwise had them--or any other house for that matter.

However; there is profit made by the builders; who use "free labor" "donated materials" to build these houses. Ultimately, those who live in them still have to pay money for them; what has been eliminated for them is a huge down payment ( how many middle class americans can afford a 20% down payment these days?)

The only "freebie" in Habitat for Humanity is the "free labor" given to build these structures.

• Panda
    Panda

Wow nice guy. I know a few ex-jws who have built with HFH. But gosh do you think he'll get in trouble for getting an award?

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Maybe he was the with the bank that supplied the loans? heheh

CG

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Oops! This guy is going down!

The WTS will not tolerate him working with a organization belonging to Babylon the Great and under the control of Satan himself!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I think this fella may fall into the "If you donate enough money, we will overlook a lot." category that some of the more popular 'JWs' do (I.E. Prince and MJ).

Regards,

Jim TX

• undercover
    undercover

Nice humanitarian effort by this gentleman. Too bad his charitable work is gonna get him a reserved seat for one in the back room with the elders for a dressing down and possible suspension of privaleges.

• FairMind
    FairMind

The company I work for urges its? employees to do volunteer work. Last year I was a Team Captain for a HFH project. I?ve never made a secret of this and many (including elders) in my congregation are aware of what I did and intend to do again. Not one word of criticism had been spoken (at least to me). FairMind

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

That was in 1998. 7 years ago. I wonder what happened to him?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit