Reared Jehovah' s Witness, But Joined Marines

by Kenneson 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The Chicago Tribune reports the death of Marine Cpl. Jonathan Beatty, who was killed in Iraq on Thursday by hostile fire. The article mentions that "He was raised in a household of Jehovah's Witnesses, whose religion strongly teaches against war and fighting." In spite of objections from his mother, he pursued a different path. See "Iraq in transition: Casualties. Marine aspired to be police detective."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0501300306jan30,1,5202569.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed&ctrack=2&cset=true

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I have a friend in Iraq who got df'ed shortly before he joined the army... I hope he makes it back ok!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

In honor of my brother, killed in Vietnam. Raised a witness enlisted in the Army.

His name here
    SP4 - E4 - Army - Selective Service
    11th Light Infantry Brigade
    21 year old Single, Caucasian, Male
    Born on Nov 14, 1948
    From CALIFORNIA
    His tour of duty began on Oct 10, 1969
    Casualty was on Aug 19, 1970
    in QUANG NGAI, SOUTH VIETNAM
    NON-HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
    OTHER ACCIDENT
    Body was recovered
    Religion
    JEWISH
    now that is weird, Jehovah's Witness not given as his religion he must have put JW on his application?

Panel 08W - - Line 123

I did a google search to find this information on my brother. You have no idea how emotional it was to see his name (removed for this post) big and bold like that. Just a name like so many others, yet he was more than a name to me. My big brother, my protector growing up, I loved and admired him like any little sister does her big brother. We played together, had fun times, sad times, he was always there for me always the big brother caring and loving. He missed so much, dying so young. My youngest son who resembles in looks my brother is older now than his uncle whom he never got to know. Such a tragedy and it goes on day after day with the war US is in in Iraq. My heart aches for all those families who have lost their dear loved ones.

My brother went to boot camp the week I got married and wasn't at my wedding but was home a few days before. I married his best friend in the Kingdom Hall, he was off to boot camp. One year later he was killed, I was home visiting my family when the Army men came to the door......when my Mom saw them she knew instantly my brother was killed and became hysterical, that was the first time in my life I ever saw my Mother and Father so distraught, thankfully the last so far.

I just thought I would share, sorry but this is very emotional for me. I miss my brother. I could go on and on about him and how wonderful he was as a brother, I regret that my children and his other nieces and nephews never got to know him.

Thanks for listening.

Kate

• heathen
    heathen

This would be a hell of a time to be in the military . I really think things will get way worse for the boys in uniform . GW is wanting to mess around with the whole region in the middle east and Korea . I am predicting things will get real sloppy .

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Bikerchic...

Your posting brought back so many memories. You and I are from the same generation. I too had friends and relatives serving in Nam at the same time as your brother. An unmeasurable loss. Thankfully, time heals most wounds and love and memories last forever. Thanks for sharing.

Double Edge.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Cold waters run deep.

DE:

Thankfully, time heals most wounds and love and memories last forever.

To an extent, yes; but the scars, and the losses, never go away.

This issue is the most compelling reason that I have to raise my fists against God, demanding answers that I have yet to receive.

The tears in Kate's eyes, as she showed me this post, and as I hugged her, are just further proof.

Craig

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Kate,

I'm sorry that this thread has elicited such painful memories. Anything else I might say would be just trite.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Kenneson, for the moment, I will speak in our behalf, but not to speak for her.

Nothing you've said is trite.

As I posted above: cold waters run deep.

To add to that, it's very hard to wade back into those cold waters; very very hard indeed.

Sincere respects to you,

Craig

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Kate,,,,,,,,

My heart aches for you at this time. I lost friends in Vietnam and here I am....home....safe and sound.

That's why I have an appreciation for veterans that I wasn't allowed to have as a JW.

I SALUTE ALL VETERANS.............THEN AND NOW.

HappyDad

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Kenneson please I didn't mean to put a damper on your otherwise good thread, it did get me to thinking about my brother. Some things are of too personal a nature to share but I do believe with all my heart he enlisted to rid himself of the whole JW religion, feeling as a young man he would never be welcomed back to the kingdom hall after serving in the military. He wasn't of their ilk, he played sports and had minor league ball clubs looking at him, playing ball to please our dad but also because he was really a good left handed pitcher and loved playing baseball. Trying to please our Mom who wanted him to pioneer like all the other young brothers who were doing that along with going to Bethel to get out of the draft. Enlisting was his way of taking control of his life, never thinking it would be the final decision he would make.

I wonder how many of our young men are doing the same thing to avoid being in that religion?

Thanks DE for your comments, yes it truly was an unmeasurable loss.

HD I too have appreciation for the vets and for those who are abroad fighting for the freedom we have and enjoy every day. I truly hope we can all look back to the new Iraq and say it was worth the sacrifice of our men. I do feel that way after years about Vietnam, it was worth it. It won't bring back the dead ours or theirs but freedom does come at a great price.

((((((((Craig))))))) my strength in time of need.

Kate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit