Can anyone tell me the Baptism Questions for 1972 ?

by holly 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• holly
    holly

And does anyone know the baptism questions that are used today, or from 1984?

Been trying to research it but my computor knowledge involves 'move mouse' and 'press ok'.

thank you

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

*** Watchtower 1973 May 1 p.280 Baptizing Follows Discipling ***

...If you feel the same about serving Jehovah God and taking Christ's yoke upon you, we suggest that you consider the following two questions, which are asked of candidates for baptism:

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

[Emphasis Added]

*** Watchtower 1985 June 1 p.30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***

Decision Based on Knowledge

[?]

At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ's example. The first question is:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

[Emphasis Added]

• Gill
    Gill

Is this when they changed the baptism vows to allegiance to the WTBTS? This meant that they couldn't be taken to court and sued for disfellowshiping someone for not following their rules. Previously we were vowing allegiance to Jehovah and Jesus and not the WTBTS.

I remember this, not being announced, but talked about freely amongst JWs at the Dudley Assembly Hall.

Apparantly it was because of: 'You know what those Americans are like always sueing people. Well the WTBTS have had to change the vows and then they can't be sued anymore!' Words to that effect. You Naughty Americans!

• euripides
    euripides

I know you were asking for 1972, but ten years later might be of interest to you also.

Here they are, word for word, as uttered from the platform at the June 12, 1982 convention at the New Jersey Meadowlands (transcribed from a tape recording of same):

Our first question: Have you repented of your sin and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation and have you acknowledged to Him that salvation proceeds from Him the Father through His son Christ Jesus? HAVE YOU?!

THE THRONG: Yes!

The second question: On the basis of this faith in God and His provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourselves unreservedly to God, to do His will, henceforth as He reveals it to you through Christ Jesus, through the Bible, and under the enlightening power of His Holy Spirit? HAVE YOU?!?

THE THRONG: Yes!

I will post the entire baptism talk from that day for those interested in a new thread.

Euripides

• holly
    holly

thanks so much folks. thats brilliant. you are a mine of information. spent ages wondering where id get that information. durr!! Under my nose was too close to see!

• Neo
    Neo

Euripede's thread about the baptism talk:

Baptism talk from June 12, 1982 New Jersey Meadowlands

Neo

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hello holly, and welcome to JWD.

The matter of the exact baptism vows has been of no small interest to me. When I was baptised (1962), it was to Jehovah and Jesus; the organization had nothing (and yet everything ) to do with my public statement.

In years past, I've frequently discussed this with my family, and they were literally oblivious to the subtle changes in the "vows." It was as if shifting from "Jehovah" to "WTS" made no discernible difference.

Craig

• Neo
    Neo

Craig,

In years past, I've frequently discussed this with my family, and they were literally oblivious to the subtle changes in the "vows." It was as if shifting from "Jehovah" to "WTS" made no discernible difference.

That's it! For all practical purposes, the WTS is Jehovah in the mind of JWs.

As I said in my recent post in Euripede's thread:

Our first question: Have you repented of your sin and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation and have you acknowledged to Him that salvation proceeds from Him the Father through His son Christ Jesus? HAVE YOU?!

The second question: On the basis of this faith in God and His provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourselves unreservedly to God, to do His will, henceforth as He reveals it to you through Christ Jesus, through the Bible, and under the enlightening power of His Holy Spirit? HAVE YOU?!?

There is no "organization" in those questions. They sound as standard Christian speech, with even some trinitarian overtones ('God, through Christ Jesus, under the Holy Spirit').

They shamelessly changed the baptism questions to include the Organization concept in the eighties:

The first question is: On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is: Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah?s Witnesses in association with God?s spirit-directed organization?

They said that change was a "simplification":

*** w87 4/15 12 Gaining Peace With God Through Dedication and Baptism ***
    Recently the two questions addressed to baptismal candidates were simplified so that candidates could answer with full comprehension of what is involved in coming into intimate relationship with God and his earthly organization.

Weird concept, isn't it?

That's the JW's Holy Trinity: (1) The Father, (2) The Son, (3) The spirit-directed Faithful and Discreet Slave. And the three are One. ("Obey the Organization!")

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Holly - this is a very interesting topic and one that should warrant very deep soul-searching amongst practicing JWs.

Although I no longer attend the meetings and therefore am not a practicing JW, I am glad that I got baptised before the change in wording. As a Christian, I am comfortable with the wording of the vows I made at my baptism and can in all good conscience still work within them.

• blondie
    blondie

I have to admit that I did not notice the change in the questions asked at the baptism talk until I was on the Net. Then I did go back to find any other changes over the years. Actually, the WTS has been altering them periodically over the last 80 years. But the 1985 was most significant since they deviated from the scriptural command of Jesus.

Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, MATTHEW 28:19

No mention there of any "spirit-directed organization." Definitely a legalistic change that undercut the scriptural admonition of Christ.

A side note, this is the only place all three are mentioned in regard to baptism. All other references are to being baptized in the name of Christ.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit