Suggestions For Taking The Elders And/Or Society To Court

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Do you have any suggestions so as to effectively take these people to court if they went after you? Your thoughts would be appreciated!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The WTS has a habit of settling out of court if they know they cannot win. They do this for two reasons:

1. To avoid having the court create a precedent that would open the opportunity for liability in many other suits.
    2. So they can intimidate anyone who threatens a lawsuit: "Are you sure you want to do this? We win nearly every case brought against us."

Once you get them over a barrel, don't settle!!! Always go for the court judgment so that you have set a precedent.

• minimus
    minimus

So.....how do you go on the offensive? Just call any lawyer?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Depends on what you are sueing for I would say if your just feeling irritated and want to sue them for it... well thats gonna be a long pull... (better call gumby) If however you have a case like abuse that was covered up or libel or something substancial then just call the lawyer!

• minimus
    minimus

I'm thinking about how WE should be able to go on the offensive against them. Are we really powerless to strike bck if they look to meet with you, question you, possibly DF you?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Have a bunch of 'Cease & Desist' notices printed up and ready. Send one to each elder in your cong' by Recorded Delivery (signature on receipt). Tell your elders that you WILL pursue them through all legal means available, not the Society, THEM!

Address: Line 1
    Address: Line 2
    Address: Line 3
    Address: Line 4

Tel:
    Fax:
    Email

TO:

DATED:

OF:

Take note.

I am requesting that you personally and the elders from the [your local] Congregation of Jehovah?s Witnesses collectively, cease and desist from calling on me anymore.

I would like to make it clear that I am in no way disassociating myself from any congregation, office or organization associated with Jehovah?s Witnesses. I know that I have legal rights. I am fully aware of the possibility of illegalities occurring and wish to prevent them.

I have the right to not have mental suffering intentionally inflicted upon me. I have the right to privacy and not to have publicity of any kind given to private information about me. And I have the right to be free from unwarranted and untruthful attacks upon my character. If you infringe upon these rights, I may take legal action.

I will consider any attempt to convince by speeches, talks or teaching; to coerce by implied or actual threat of judicial action; or to encourage by private counsel or suggestion to any of Jehovah?s Witnesses to treat me differently from any other person, to be a serious violation of my civil rights and I may initiate any legal action, civil or criminal that I or my solicitor deem appropriate. This includes any attempt to convince by speeches, talks or teaching; to coerce by implied or actual threat of judicial action; or to encourage by private counsel or suggestion to any of Jehovah?s Witnesses to shun, ?mark? or avoid me, cease or otherwise modify their doing business with me, or modify in any way their behavior towards me. I may consider any such to be an infringement upon my civil and human rights and may initiate appropriate legal action.

This request to cease and desist from harassment, stalking, slandering, and/or infringing on my rights includes any actions to be taken by any congregation of Jehovah?s Witnesses and particularly the [your local] Congregation of Jehovah?s Witnesses it?s individual elders or it?s legal corporation, the Governing Body of Jehovah?s Witnesses or it?s legal corporations, The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, Inc., The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Great Britain., the International Bible Students Association, or any other agency not here named, including all or any agents or assignees against me.

You have been warned.

Mr/Ms/Mrs [your name]

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Interesting idea. Anyone know if it would work? Anyone tried it?

Jean

• TheEdge
    TheEdge
    The WTS has a habit of settling out of court if they know they cannot win

Gosh - that makes it sound as if it's a common occurance!

I may have this wrong, but from other cases I have understood that the Law does not recognise the WTBTS as an authority to hide behind - in which case Nicolaou's idea is spot on, as the individual elders would then be guilty of harrassment.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I will never DA myself, but I know my fellow men will have to DF me someday. When I start talking to my wife and family I know it will get back to them. Do they have a legal leg to stand on if they DF me for apostasy? I mean they would have to prove that apostasy is an objective rather than subjective term? If it is subjective, then by disfellowshiping and shunning me, wouldn?t that be slander?

IPSec

• garybuss
    garybuss

Skip court, call a newspaper reporter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit