Watchtower & accepting money from government

by observer 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• observer
    observer

Was there ever any printed statement about that?

Some goverments give money to organized religions according theirs memberships.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've never heard of that. I don't think the US government gives $ to churches. I don't know about other countries.

• blondie
    blondie

I think Germany has an arrangement like that. GermanXJW probably knows more about the local information. This article was interesting about how not being recognized in Germany affects the WTS.

http://www.watchtowernews.org/eurofreedom2.htm

• observer
    observer

Blondie & rebel8,

In Finland the government considers giving some tax collected money to sects. They do it because church of state already gets money from government, so this is for fairness.

They interviewed headman of finnish Jehovah's Witnesses in national television and he said, that "we're not begging money but if other sects are given it, we should also be given in the name of fairness".

Apparently, "fairness" towards state doesn't apply because Jehovah's Witnesses here don't carry out civilian service althought other conscientious objectors are send to jail (JW's are not jailed because they have an exempt law that frees them both military service and alternative service).

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

i know in britian the gov't gives a% of tax money to charities based on their donations. wt included. the wt ahs also accepted $$$$$$$$$ from the new.york state gov't , when they built their power plant in pATTERSON i think it was about $50,000 , i 've heard more such deals, but can't remember them off the top of my head. john

• Pole
    Pole

In Poland, the Bethelites benefit from special government-funded social security arrangements.
    It's official.

Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit