i was wondering....

by myvalk 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    why are there so many intelligent people in the truth, if its clearly hogwash?

How do you define intelligence? Jean

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

It just looks that way, because they are surrounded by idiots.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I don't think that there are all that many JWs who most people would call intelligent. Fewer on average than the typical religion, I think.

I read one study some time ago that found that JWs are THE most uneducated of American religions. Intelligence, of course, is not necessarily directly linked to education, but in a population there is some correlation.

AlanF

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit

Intelligence is relative. I have met many "uneducated" JWs who in average conversation don't speak all that intelligently, but they sound phenomenal on the platform! People are good at what they know. I was told by some in my husband's hall that my intelligence and my college education will make it more difficult for them to be able to convince me of "the truth" because intelligent people tend not to believe in God, etc. Hmmm ... I believe in God, no problem. I just don't "believe in" the Society.

IMHO they may as well be saying - "Watch those intelligent people, it's really hard to pull the wool over their eyes!"

Recently a sister in the hall said (in front of me) to another sister, "Don't be intimidated by worldly people with a higher education, they really don't know anything because they don't have the truth". I had to restrain myself from hitting her over the head with my BE book.

There are alot of very intelligent people who smoke too!

Yes, and I would be one of those people. lol! My intelligence has nothing to do with it - I know smoking is bad for me, but I choose to do it anyway. I think that proves a good point for this discussion. lol! I am clearly an oxymoron - a stupid intelligent person.

• undercover
    undercover

why are there so many intelligent people in the Catholic faith, if its clearly hogwash? why are there so many intelligent people in Mormonism, if its clearly hogwash? why are there so many intelligent people in Scientology, if its clearly hogwash?

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

Something a magican said on TV might fit..... the more intelligent a person is, the easier it is to trick them

because they already have their mind filled with prejudgements of how things should work.... its harder to do

magic infront of children because they are not aware that certain things should only happen certain ways.

JWs amoung others are good at creating what if senerios where they control what they present as the only valid possibilities

and while you are reading you dont have anyone you can object to and say, well, what about this or that or the other you are ignoring? and as you go on they weave a fine mess web of what if's that lead you to only the conclusions they have carefully charted....

I was amazed at how a sales meeting for realestate seems so familiar to me....so kingdom hall like... same tricks, different product.

• Valis
    Valis

Everyone enjoys a good fairy tale...That is the only logical answer I can think of. As well, just because one studies the same old stuff over and over again doesn't make one scholarly, much less intelligent. Perhaps like when the chess player beats an opponent and then keeps playing the same player over and over again. They might win every time, but it doesn't make them a better player. People who never question their own beliefs as individuals or a group in an open, honest, and rational manner, don't help their own cause. Especially when it comes to talking about intelligence.

BTW, I have think this one has been around here before...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• M.J.
    M.J.

It the fact that one is naive enough to fall prey to a con-game probably has little to do with that person's intelligence. Its lack of exposure or awareness to that kind of game. Anyone who was aware of the bag of tricks used by cults in recruiting and hooking people would know better when confronted by a JW. Then after the emotional, thought, behavior, and information control hooks are in place, intelligence alone can't really save someone.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Emotional intelligence is a completely different matter.

See if you can have a stable discussion with a JW about the problems the Watchtower has. You'll find out very quickly the JW becomes angry or afraid.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Christ spoke of wisdom and foolishness, not intelligence.

For myself, 'as wise as a serpent' doesn't mean 'as slippery as a snake'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit