The Supremes Abolish 4th Amendment

by Amazing1914 45 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Jim I don't understand your first reply.

I was talking about discussions I heard between grown ups when I was a child. The discussions were similar to this issue. There was fear that the gov. was going to go wild with police actions. I wasn't talking about any specific actions of the courts.

No being nervous is not a crime. However having been a sheriffs deputy I can tell you that a persons actions and behaviour are definite signs to be noticed. After a while any good officer can almost smell the kind of fear that needs attention. To act upon the smelling of alchol on a drivers breath is not an act of invasion of privacy. The act of letting a dog sniff the air around the outside of an automobile is not an invasion of privacy. Answering a neighbors call about screams next door and standing at the front door and seeing through the window a person with a bloody nose and then taking action is not an invasion of privacy.

There was no search with out a right. If the officer had the smelling ability of the dog, and he smelled drugs there is probable cause. The dog was used and indicated the presence of drugs. That is probable cause. Then the search is started.

I am not correlating this to the jw's in any way but to the similar highly emotional approach to life and changes in life. Seeing danger that does not exist.

If we aren't doing illegal acts what have we to fear is justified. If there had not been any illegal drugs none of this would have taken place.

There was no search of the individual or the car, until the dog smelled drugs. Smelling the air around you is not a search. All of this fits the 4th amendment requirements.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi Outof the org,

I was talking about discussions I heard between grown ups when I was a child. The discussions were similar to this issue. There was fear that the gov. was going to go wild with police actions. I wasn't talking about any specific actions of the courts.

I understand. I too heard things as a child. But, I have not found any real evidence of those fears being justified. So, my point is that citing our childhood impressions is not sufficient to draw factual conclusions.

No being nervous is not a crime. However having been a sheriffs deputy I can tell you that a persons actions and behaviour are definite signs to be noticed. After a while any good officer can almost smell the kind of fear that needs attention. To act upon the smelling of alchol on a drivers breath is not an act of invasion of privacy.

I understand the expertise of police officers ... and as I stated earlier, for the most part they do a good job. We have also witnessed abuses such as the Rodney King beating. A friend of mine in the So. California area is a police officer. The information I get ... as well as experience from growing up in that area ... is that officers are allowed what is called "stick night" ... an evening where they are allowed to take out their aggressions and frustrations on some person they don't like. They got caught doing a "stick night" on Rodney King. The Rodeny King issue is not about search and seizure issues ... but it is about police corruption and illustrates the case for enforcing citizens rights.

Driving, as we have defined in our body of laws, is not a right, but a privilege. Therefore, when in court over a driving offense, the officer's word carrys more weight than the word of the accused ... because the traffic law rule used is that you are guilty until proven innocent, so the burden of proof is lower. So, if you stop a drunk driver, I as a citizen want you to remove the drunk from his car for public safety.

However, even police officers have been fooled when dealing with diabetics. Some diabetics have died in a holding cell because of poorly trained officers or officers who don't give a damn and think they know everything. That is why we have checks and balances called courts, judges and juries and even lawyers. It is precisely to keep law enforcement in check.

The act of letting a dog sniff the air around the outside of an automobile is not an invasion of privacy. Answering a neighbors call about screams next door and standing at the front door and seeing through the window a person with a bloody nose and then taking action is not an invasion of privacy.

The dog sniffing incident is wrong. The officer had no probable cause and no warrent and no immediate danger. Granted, in this case, the officer was proven correct ... but he could have been proven wrong in another instance, and caused needless harm to an innocent citizen. Therefore, what the Supreme Court did was not hurt efforts at catching druggies ... but opened a wide door for future abuses.

In the second case you mention, there is a request for help by a citizen, with evidence of harm in the form of screaming ... thus probable cause. If the officer can see through the window, he has a higher call to defend the victim if there is evidence of immediate danger. This is entirely different than an officer feeling suspecious because some guy seems nervous.

There was no search with out a right. If the officer had the smelling ability of the dog, and he smelled drugs there is probable cause. The dog was used and indicated the presence of drugs. That is probable cause. Then the search is started.

Then, let all officers walk around the neighborhoods with their dogs and sniff every person, car and house. Why stop at a simple pull-over. No, this is a dangerous erosion. Many folks, like yourself, are seeing this through the eyes of wanting to get the bad guy, and failing to see the danger and how such a ruling helps corrupt police ... of which there are too many.

I am not correlating this to the jw's in any way but to the similar highly emotional approach to life and changes in life. Seeing danger that does not exist.

Referencing and comparing the JWs is a false argument style called "ad hominem." It is a tactic to dispell the opposing argument by attempting to prejudice the attatude of the other side. Sometimes it is referred to as a personal attack. By way of comparison, I can illustrate it this way. Say to someone in an opposing argument, "your point is not valid because your attatude is like the Nazis." Once I make the comparison, then the viewing audience is affected, as well as it detracts from the main issue. How JWs act and bahave is irrelevant to this discussion. To introduced their reactions and emotions only clouds the issue in attempt to taint the opposing side of the argument. I am not saying you have a bad motive ... as I am sure your motives are good. But, JWs reactions are not at issue, nor even similar to a factual event.

On the other hand, the Supreme Court ruling is a fact, and a dangerous ruling. Also, I am not over-reacting nor feeling any specific emotion. I am legitimately concerned that the ruling has serious potential to be abused.

If we aren't doing illegal acts what have we to fear is justified. If there had not been any illegal drugs none of this would have taken place.

This too is a flawed argument. The first time I was ever pulled over by the California Highwy Patrol, I was scared to death. I was not guilty of anything. The officer made me sit in his vehicle, and I pissed in my pants and stained his seat. I was lectured and given an equipment violation. Now, suppose that he decided he was angry because I soaked his car ... under this new ruling he could have searched me and claimed to have found something on me ... and sent me off to jail ... no probable cause, no warrant, no checks available to protect my rights. But, in those days, probable cause prevented him from going any further. He was angry, so the situation was realistic.

Well, if he were corrupt, could he not fake all those steps anyway? Yes, but by having those steps, it makes it easier to expose lies and reveal the truth ... it allows me some way to come back at the officer in court and show he is corrupt. But, by taking away critical steps in the chain of evidence, it makes the trail cloudly and harder to protect our rights when we are innocent.

There was no search of the individual or the car, until the dog smelled drugs. Smelling the air around you is not a search. All of this fits the 4th amendment requirements.

Then again, let's get the police out in the neighborhoods with their dogs and start sniffing every man, woman and child ... its all just air. Let's have them sniff all of our doorways ... and around our cars. We are bound to catch someone doing something wrong ... while we are at it, why not strip search everyone ... have random stripping sessions.

The officer in this case had no cause to start sniffing. He simply felt that the guy was nervous and decided to sniff. The problem again is that he did so without warrant. The 4th Amendment requires the specific thing to be searched or seized be named ... could the dog or the officer name the specific thing? No, other than the dog is reacting to an odor that appears to be a drug of somekind.

Look, I am glad they caught the bad guy ... but the way they got him is wrong, sets bad precedant, and opens a wide door to abuses.

Jim W.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Some people are nervous, and with such extensive police power, they can be made to look very guilty, when in fact, they did little to nothing wrong.

I guess in some way with some of the points you're making. I just see other areas where abuse is so much more abundent. Look here in Illinois and the screw ups with death penalty convictions. Talk about abuse of power. If you're a young, black male without a lot of money, you're chances of seeing the ol' death penalty is far greater then a rich, white male.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Well Amazing I guess we will just have to agree to dissagree.

I don't see anything in this situation as you see it.

I really don't see how a dog sniffing and finding nothing is harmful to anyone.

I was a deputy in the mid 1960'S and never heard of such a thing as stick night. I seriously doubt the accuracy of your friends claims. To make this claim is to paint all officers as evil beasts.

My findings are that some of the most arrogant mean people I ever knew-- were cops. Some of the finest most caring honest people I have ever known-- were cops.

Most of the cops I knew were very ordinary people who looked upon their position as a job. They tried to remain detached from emotions and anger and proceed in a business like manner.

They were not emotional unless someone tried to hurt them or other citizens or situations involving injuries or children.

It seems to me that most of your statements are based on the thought that officers are out to hurt people or make unjustified arrests.

I am sorry you pissed in the chp car and you were fearing he might, as you say "claimed" to have found something, then have you arrested.

My point is "he did not" your fear then and now is not justified.

I don't think you have to worry about squads of cops going from door to door with drug sniffing dogs.

Using traffic violations and the procedure and applying them to felony charges is only confusing as the two are totally different situations.

Well it is plain neither of us will agree.

So I wish you the best in life Amazing and I "usually" enjoy your posts and knowledge.

• jwbot
    jwbot

This reminds me of a story my boyfriend related to me. He was tailed and eventually pulled over by a cop-something about not having the signal on long enough to pass someone.

Anyway the cop wanted to search his car and he said no. So the cop made him get out of the car and wait an hour (in a snow storm in Maine) and not let him get his jacket from the car while the police dogs arrive. When the dog arrived, the police pulled the leash harshly and made the dog freak out-thus "showing" there must have been drugs in the car. Of course there was not. Another hour later they finished searching the car and turned up nothing. 2-3 hours he was forced to be outside in a snow storm with no jacket. HE DID NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG and was eventually let free with a warning that "next time you will go to jail"... So to me, that is an example of how "If you are not hiding anything why worry" is complete bullshit.

Good day.

• undercover
    undercover
    Do you get nervous when a cop pulls you over? I don't. I may get mad and a little pissy with him because I was speedy and now I'm going to get a ticket but why get nervous?

If the driver was nervous, doesn't that give the police officer some cause for alarm?

c'mon. We all get at least a little bit nervous when pulled. It's a natural reaction.

I've been pulled more than my share during my life and as experienced as I am with it, I'm still a little nervous when I have to deal with it. I'm not so nervous that I can't speak or answer questions, but nervous enough that an experienced cop will know that I am. That doesn't mean I have drugs in my car. It doesn't mean I just robbed a bank. All it means is that a police officer has decided that I have broken the law enough to be written up for it. That's enough to make anyone just a little nervous.

So in answer to the last question in the quote above, No, it doesn't give the officer cause for alarm.

The last time I got pulled for speeding, late at night, from a speed trap, the cop asked several unrelated questions and had me spell some of the answers. None of which had anything to do with my speeding. It was a mini-sobriety test. I got pulled for speeding, but now all of a sudden I'm being checked for drinking. If I got pulled for speeding, give me my ticket, let me go on my way and go catch some real criminals. Quit trying to make a bust out of nothing when you have nothing to go by. The same with roadblocks. You wanna check license and registration, fine, but don't ask if you can search my vehicle. I will not give permission. You wanna search? Get a search warrant.

The city that I live in has, over the last couple of years, decided to up their revenue by using the cops as tax collectors. Cops sit in speed traps in certain parts of town, usually the nicer parts where people don't shoot or run from them, and wait for someone to speed by. Instant revenue. If you took all these cops and put them patrolling the areas where drug dealers frequented and hookers plied their trade, or, god forbid, actually investigate a crime, they could cut down on real crime and run the bad guys outa town. But it's too easy to sit in the shade and wait for a mostly law-abiding citizen to come by to give a ticket, make the city some money and count it agaisnt their quota.

Ever noticed that you see more cops out on Sunday morning and early afternoon giving out tickets than on a Saturday night? It's safer. Church-goers are less likely to shoot a cop.

• link
    link

As a former police officer I would suggest that the officer(s) in this case knew exactly who they were stopping and exactly what they would find when they did.

Whenever we were acting on information provided to us, especially in drugs cases, we would call it "reasonable suspicion". To do otherwise would almost certainly cost the informant their lives.

I agree it's a pity that the politicians got involved but this must tell you something about the complainants in this case. Where there's drugs there's money power and politics.

link

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Roybatty,

Look here in Illinois and the screw ups with death penalty convictions.

Yep ... excellent point. I too live in Illinois ... I work in Arlington Heights. If you are not too far away, maybe we can meet up. PM me if you are interested. Thanks to Gov. Ryan, the situation is better. I agree with the death penalty, but not when it can be 50% wrong. Rather, it needs to be 100% right ... as in the Timorthy McVeigh case.

Outofthe org,

Well, I understand your statement to agree to disagree ... not feeling that a sniffing dog is anything to worry about ... your were or are a deputy sheriff ... you see things from one view and not as an unarmed citizen who is not dangerous. If there is nothing to worry about ... then why did the founding fathers put the Bill of Rights into effect? There was a purpose ... was there not? Read what JWbot and Undercover and Roybatty wrote ... abuse happens all the time ... and the more we allow the government and courts to weaken our rights, the more opportunity for abuse.

Jim W.

Jim W.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Amazing1914

I could care less about the sleeze-bag druggie they caught

What about the kids he may have sold his $250,000 worth of drugs to?

I do understand that we need to protect our rights, but there is a very fine line, I believe, we need to ride.

At first you said the "case that has demolished the 4th Amendment".

Later you said, "This decision does erode the 4th Amendment".

I think even you see that the 4th Amendment may be weakened perhaps, but not destroyed (demolished).

There are good cops and bad cops; it's always been that way. I'm sure it will continue, but this new ruling will not change it or make it worse.

IMHO,

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• franklin J
    franklin J

...at what cost; freedom?

while drug dealers may be of concern, the real threat these days is terrorism on American soil.

If this modification to the 4th amendment will help track down and catch any terrorist; many Americans will go along with it. Especially when we learn that the terrorists on the jets of 9/11 were in this country illegally and easily traceable through the DMV and phone records.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit