BLOOD card - in a nutshell

by TheEdge 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

I know they are renewed yearly, and here's my dilemma......My mother being a devout JW (and me well faded) - I know I am named on her card as next of kin (she mentioned it a few weeks ago) and over the years she has always asked me to stand against the blood issue on her behalf IF she's unable to do so. I have always agreed, because whatever I believe, I also respect the belief of others too. Now I'm wondering WHAT exactly is ON there........is it a flip flop? I'd hate to support something that someone's LIFE depends on only to find out that their faith is in changing rules and NOT God's Word ......can anyone tell me the current blood issue? It all seems a bit vague to me - I read that it's admissible in life threatening situations (but WHO'S to judge what is 'life-threatening'?)....

As I haven't seen a blood card in years, can anyone list me the ''permitted'' stuff'' - many thanks :)

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

TheEdge

Check out this website http://www.ajwrb.org/index.shtml

D Dog

• kls
    kls

TheEdge don't mean to hijack your post but i need to ask a question to any who know the answer

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

In a nutshell, taking blood fractions has become a conscience issue. In the past, this was unheard of. Anything in any way associated with blood was a no-no. The 4 major elements of blood (red blood cell, white blood cell, platelets, plasma) are still not allowed. (The WT, not the medical field has defined what these 'major' elements are)

Why is it presented in such a complicated way? it's to hide the fact that basically blood transfusions have now really become a matter of conscience. Why do they want to hide this under a veil of confusion?

Can you imagine what would happen if they flat out came out and announced that taking blood is now your personal decision? Current and former JW who have lost loved ones in the past would sue them for every penny and the public outcry would be enormous.

So to minimize the damage, they have introduced a new DPA which replaces the old blood card. Now YOU have to choose which fractions your conscience allows you to take on the DPA. That way if anything happens where you lose your life because of blood complications, the WT is not liable. Are you kidding me? Last I checked, most of JW are not experts in the medical field. How are we supposed to know which fractions should be considered 'holy and unacceptable'? I have to reason that 99% of JW who fill out that form will accept all blood fractions that wont get themselve DFed when their loved ones lives are on the line.

As for the 4 'major' components that are not allowed? That's a joke.

Ex: If I need plasma (which is 97% water) to live, would you consider that blood?

White blood cells are transferred from mother to child when breast feeding. Is the baby drinking mom's blood?

The doctors can always find a way around these idiotic technicalities if there ever is an issue. So basically, blood transfusions have become a personal decision and if you die because you refuse any blood component, it is your responsibility. If you filled out the DPA, you cant sue the WT society.

You'll never read that in the WT though. Instead you get the encrypted version.

• archangel01
    archangel01

Once again the WTBTS are up to the same old stuff. Every year that goes by they get new light and slowly start to change this an that. I thank Jesus (The God-Man) My Lord that I can see right through all there lies.Think about how many people died/almost died listining too that cult.Didn't people learn from what happen at Jones Town in 1978, it's 2005 an people are still drinking the Kool-Aid.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I have no doubt that my husband has a Blood card some where ,i have not seen it but my question is : he knows i would never sign the card so who would he name on this card to make sure his stance on Blood would be fulfilled ?

KLS- All states do not require healthcare providers to honor written advanced directives (like the blood card). It may very well be that, if your husband was unconscious, you would have the authority to make all health decisions for him.

Are you in the US? If so, what state are you in? Let me know where you're at, and I'll try to find the answer for you.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I saw my mother's blood paper the other day. It is now a full sheet of paper, with directives that cover many areas, including being on life support. It is literally a Durable Power of Attorney. Mom wanted me to be on it as her spokesperson, and I will respect her wishes. I'm not out to prove anything with my 92 year old mother. What she wants is what she will get and she knows it.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

I agree with you Mulan - I too would support anyone's right to choose. What concerns me is that this choice is not based on Bible priciple, but on instruction from the WTBTS which could change at any time.

On the Blood Card I have seen, it has no Blood Substitutes listed, just a breakdown of whole blood components (English) - maybe this is different in USA.

Many thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit