Disabilities

by mactoph 7 Replies latest jw friends

• mactoph
    mactoph

Hello Everyone-
    This is my first post- I am actually looking for any information that anyone might have on Jehovahs Witness resources on disability. I am putting together a directory of links and resources dealing with the topic of disability from different religious organizations and haven't yet come up with anything-
    If someone could point me in the right direction or give me any ideas it would be grealy appreciated.

Thanks so much,
    Christopher
    http://www.faithability.org/
    Religion, Spirituality and Disability Resources

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Their CD-ROM will give access to articles written by JWs about disabilities - not quite sure where you would get external sources of info

• londoner
    londoner

Hi,

I have always noticed when visiting different congregations in the past, and at assemblies, that there are quite a lot of witnesses who are in wheel chairs, I wonder if they would still be witnesses ir they were not disabled, or are they going along because they have been told that one day God will cure all sickness. A sad thought. I really feal for them if that is the case.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for.

Are you looking for assistance (financial, educational, medical expense, and otherwise) that Jehovah's Witnesses as an organization provide for their own people who happen to have disabilities?

Or perhaps philosphical rationalizations about why people become disabled??

Or how to cope if you personally are disabled?

Please elaborate.

-Aude.

• upside/down
    upside/down

AS- that's a good one! ha ha ha! JW's as an org taking care of those with disabilities (provide for their own!lol) ho ho ha ha!

Oh my God I'm gonna pee! ROTFL

They don't give a hoot about the healthy, if your diabled your SOL. As long as you're a contributor you might be "tolerated". The Dubs will forever perplex me with their huge efforts to make disciples and the ease with which they let those in the flock, just disappear or worse yet THROW THEM OUT!

u/d (LMAO)!!!!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

hi and welcome..

the wtbs has a 1 800 number where you could call and they'd hook you up with someone to talk to officially. i dont have the 800 number so i hope someone here will provide it for you.

i know that once laws were passed the wtbs had kingdom halls altered to fit the disability laws. put in wheel chair ramps and made the bathrooms accessible. sometimes they provide phone hookups of the meetings for the disabled . but as far as any practicle home help there isnt any programs in place.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    AS- that's a good one! ha ha ha! JW's as an org taking care of those with disabilities (provide for their own!lol) ho ho ha ha!

Upside/Down -

I'm glad you found my humor there. I came back purposefully looking for someone to catch it!!!

Loved the ROTF happy guy. Made my evening...!!!

-Aude.

• mactoph
    mactoph

Thanks to those who replied- mainly I am looking for websites or any other type of information really that is geared specifically towards supporting persons with disabilities.
    The comments made about nothing existing are unfortunately not too common for many religious organizations.
    While there are certainly exceptions, too many preach "All are welcome," but then put up either physical or attitudinal barriers to full acceptance of persons with disabilities. Some persons are able to get past that and worship anyways, others look elsewhere or leave religion all together.
    If anyone is interested and there really is nothing specific to Jehovah's Witness, there fortunately are a number of interfaith type of organizations- there is a listing of some of them at:
    http://www.faithability.org/directory/
    If anyone comes across anything, I'd love to hear about it.
    Thanks,
    Christopher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit