I have finally decided to do it.

by jt stumbler 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Way to go! Someday I hope to do the same. Like everyone said its best to send it to the congregation that last had your publisher file (in particular to the presiding overseer). They'll send a copy to HQ.

But if you want to have the addy for the US here it is:

25 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, NY, 11201-2483.

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

Thanks Midge

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Congrats on you decision.

I did a multi-year fade (and moved - although the move was for other reasons).

Can't imagine what writing a letter like that would be like.

Please share it with us, if you feel so-inclined.

-Aude.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

But if you don't know where to send the letter - eh, hum, eh - you cannot have been THAT active for some time, can you?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Why write a letter? That's just playing by their rules and saying, "please shun me from now on." Just go on with your life and forget about them. If they come looking for you, don't cooperate with them in any way. You may not be able to stop them from disfellowshipping you, but even then, you'll be no worse off than if you send in a disassociation letter.

• jgnat
    jgnat

For ideas, here's Lady Lee's best of...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/32/78540/1.ashx

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Do you feel you need the "closure"? What difference will it make to you psychologically, etc.?
    I generally advise folks not to play by their rules, and just get on with life. That includes any need to "offically" sever ties. I do appreciate that for some this is a cathartic step, however.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Congratulations!!!

Can't hardly wait 'til it's the right time for me to do just the same.

DY

• SeeSee
    SeeSee

Not to worry. You don't need to send it to the head of the "Society". Your letter to the local congregation will be recorded on special forms provided by WTBTS and kept permanently at the Kingdom Hall. The Elders are required to forward those forms to Brooklyn HQ where they are kept forever!

By the way - you do not owe them an explanation. In fact if you go into detail about why you are disassociating it better make you feel real good--cause it won't serve you in any other way. (They'll be looking for something specific to disfellowship you over.)

God bless

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey JT - Congrats on your decision.

You don't actually need to send a copy to HQ, but if you include a cc: line to them on the letter you send to the elders, it gives it real teeth.

Regarding what some have said about DA'ing just playing by their rules, I don't agree with that. They may assign special significance to a DA letter, but it is not something that was invented by the Witnesses. It has a specific meaning in the larger culture, namely, that you have publicly removed support for the organization and no longer wish to be viewed as a part of it in any way. Making a clean break has a lot of psychological advantages, too. So if that's what you feel is right for you, I say go for it!

Best wishes,

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit