Was Johnny Carson pro JW?

by HappyDad 33 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Welcome Ashton. Thanks for the confirmation that the John Denver episode is not an urban legend. If I'd been into his music, I would have gotr rid of it after his sick behaviour towards the JWs.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I think it was the international assembly in 1973 that Glenn Campbell was rumored too have come to the Vancouver Convention to get baptised. It went was passed all around the convention and had every good dub watching out for Glenn sightings instead of paying attention to the boring talks.

Will

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I had heard that John Denver was not a fan of witnesses for their stance of neutrality. He was very patriotic.

That reminds me of another version of the John Denver legend. He supposedly said something like, "We are now going to sing the national athem so before we start to sing it, all you JW can just leave".

Will

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/search.do?name=john+denver&singleDateMonth=0&singleDateDay=0&singleDateYear=0&dateRangeBeginMonth=0&dateRangeBeginDay=0&dateRangeBeginYear=0&dateRangeEndMonth=0&dateRangeEndDay=0&dateRangeEndYear=0

The URL above is a listing of all the times John Denver appeared on the Tonight Show and a brief synopsis of what he said or did. No mention of Johnny Carson asking him to leave or any negative JW comments. I supposed they could have left them out. I have known JWs that lived in the territory near Denver, Colorado, where John Denver lived. They had no knowledge of him asking any JWs to leave his concerts and said that JWs worked for him.

As far as wives, I understand he was married twice.

During this period (1966) he met Annie Martell of St. Peter, Minnesota. They married on June 9, 1967. They would later adopt a boy, Zak, and a girl, Anna Kate.
    Denver's 1974 recording of "Annie's Song" tells of a love, but in real life their marriage was starting to fall apart and they divorced in 1982.
    In 1986 Denver met Cassandra Delaney in Sydney, Australia. They married on August 12, 1988. She later gave birth to Denver's daughter, Jesse Belle. Denver and his wife divorced in 1993.

I can find no reference that either wife was ever a JW before, during or after being married to John Denver.

It would be nice if someone could find a scan in a newspaper when John Denver asked JWs to leave. A date would be helpful and the location so that newspapers in the area could be checked.

Click Date for More Info

Featured On
    JOHN DENVER10-19-1990
    CONRAD REEDER (DUET WITH JOHN DENVER)10-19-1990
    JOHN DENVER12-03-1987
    JOHN DENVER03-03-1986
    JOHN DENVER05-29-1985
    JOHN DENVER12-20-1984
    JOHN DENVER05-24-1984
    JOHN DENVER08-26-1983
    JOHN DENVER05-04-1982
    SINGERS WITH JOHN DENVER10-16-1978