X-JW , X-Mormon & More OR: Around the World's Religions in 60 Years!

by Rod P 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rod P
    Rod P

To: boy@crossroads:

When I was excommunicated from the Mormon Church, I most certainly am regarded and treated differently. They treat excommunication very seriously, and they see your eternal salvation as being lost, unless you repent. But it does not necessarily follow that they have to "Shun" you like the JW's do. Further, they would not be socializing with you either, and it you wanted to still be friends with them, they would certainly be councilling you to repent and consider coming back to the "True Church" and the Priesthood. Having been an Elder in the Mormon Church, if I wanted to get my Priesthood back, it would have to be restored by one of the Apostles of the Church, which is right up there at the top of the Church hierarchy based in Salt Lake City, Utah. I know of one who was excommunicated and then later came back to the Church. He got re-baptised, but still could not hold the Priesthood until he had it restored by one of the 12 Apostles of the Church. He waited until one of the Apostles visited the Ward where he attended, and while he visited, he met with the guy and re-conferred the Priesthood on him.

An excommunicated Mormon is allowed to attend Church, but is not allowed to partake of the sacraments.

You will find your visit to the Mormon Church very interesting, and the Mormons a very friendly people. They will treat you very kindly, and befriend you, and, of course, would love to send the Missionaries to your home and give you the Book of Mormon as a free gift, and start you in on their discussions. It is a very thorough and well-organized program to steer you in the direction of becoming a Mormon. The problem is not so much what they tell you, for a lot of it is often pretty easy to accept. The real problem is all of the stuff they DON'T tell you about, and that you may or may not even know or find out about until much later. That is where most of the X-Mormons come from, much later, given what they later discover is also part of their Church History and their Revelations, and become shocked and disillusioned.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

About the Giant Mushroom. I know of some of those fairy tales, and gnomes and elves, etc., but age 6 I had not heard of any of this stuff. But this was absolutely what happened. I did find a giant mushroom. I remember looking at it and wondering if I could eat it all myself. I thought it was enough to feed the whole family. And when the sprinkle of rain came, and that's all it was, I held that mushroom over my head like an umbrella. No, it did not cover my whole head. I just held it up, kind of like pretending it was an umbrella. It seemed so natural, and, of course, kids have a lot of imagination.

Regards!

rod p

• Rod P
    Rod P

Episode #4

I couldn't wait for that first meeting with the Reverend. After exchanging background information, we agreed to discuss various JW doctrines over a number of weekly meetings, with the first one being the Soul Doctrine. Not being a JW yet , my objective here was to put JW teachings to the test with a minister and biblical scholar. His library seemed to me to be quite impressive, especially when it came to the various books of the Bible. My modus operandi was to study the JW publications on the doctrines, and to memorize the arguments and the scriptures applicable to each topic. This would all be done at home, and then we would meet at his place and have our discussions.

When we talked about the Soul, of course, it was to prove that the bible taught that man did not have an immortal soul, but that man was a soul made out of the dust of the earth (the elements), into which God breathed into man's nostrils the "breath of life" (the life force), "and man became a living soul". Ezekiel 18:4 stated that the "Soul that sins shall die." Also, "man has no pre-eminence over the beasts. As one dieth, so dieth the other." This discussion went on for some time, and the Reverend listened attentively, and did not interrupt. In the end, he stated that the United Church Scholars had also done a lot of research on this subject, and essentially they agreed with the JW position on this subject. I went away, thrilled with the confirmation that the doctrine the JW's were teaching on the Soul was the "Truth".

I do not recall the order of the topics we discussed during subsequent meetings. One of the subjects was "Baptism by Immersion". The Reverend agreed, and said that anyone who got baptized in the United Church, while baptism by sprinkling was generally the practice, if anyone wanted to be baptized by immersion, that was perfectly OK, and they would be accommodated. Well, it made more sense to me, that if Jesus Christ was baptized by full immersion, then we should do no less. Sprinkling was just not good enough. Again, I thought the JW's taught more "Truth" than the United Church did.

At another meeting, we talked about Hell. Hell (Gehenna) was not to be taken literally when it talked about fire, and the place where "the worm dieth not", but rather symbolically. The Bible taught that Hell (Hades) was the common grave of mankind. Again, the Reverend concurred, and that their scholars basically came to the same conclusions.

On the Trinity doctrine, the idea of Three Gods in One God, did not make good or logical sense. It made a lot more sense that God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit were One in Purpose, rather than One in Nature, Essence or Being. While Christendom essentially teaches this concept, and the United Church is a part of this, still the Reverend did not have much to argue about respecting the JW stand on the Trinity.

When it came to the subject of Evolution, I argued that this vast and complex universe could not have come into existence from nothing and by mere random chance probability. There had to be a First Cause, and that is God. We went on to discuss some of the major premises of Evolution (eg. natural selections, survival of the fittest, mutations, missing links, etc.) and also some of the problems with carbon dating. I believed that Evolution was a false doctrine, and a throry that cannot be proven, and which required as much faith to believe in it as a Christian had to have to believe in God and the Biblical account of Creation. On this whole subject, the Reverend agreed with much about the fact that there was a God who created the Universe, but that no-one had all of the answere, and maybe God brough about Creation BY Evolution. In other words, the theory of Evolution maystill have a place in the big picture. I could see his point, but would have to think about it, and do some more research. I went home, all the more convinced that JW's had the "Truth". Still, I had doubts.

For a few weeks I attended the United Church services. I enjoyed his Sermons, and he always seemed to look at me in the audience to see how I was responding to his sermons. On one Sunday he invited me to come along with him to his 2nd Congregation in the Town of Irvine, a few miles east of Medicine Hat. I found it quite interesting, and enjoyed meeting a lot of farm people. Then the Reverend told me he was going away for a couple of weeks, and he needed someone to take his place by delivering sermons at his two congregations. He had one person for one Sunday already, and wondered if I would be willing to take the other Sunday. I agreed, and so now had to decide what the sermon should be. I had been receiving the Watchtowers and Awakes by subscription in the mail, and one of them had an article "Faith in Faith, is that Your Faith?" I felt that the United Church was too liberal and wishy-washy in their definitions of "Truth", and that their faiths should be more precisely and accurately defined. Too many people were simply going to Church and believing in Jesus Christ and their Church, yet really didn't know or understand what they believed. It became a "Faith in Faith". This article really brought the issue into focus, and basically "woke us up" to the need to define what our faith consisted of. I delivered the essence of those concepts in the sermon to those Congregations. When the Reverend returned, he advised that he received excellent reports on the responses to the sermons, and wanted to know what I said to them. I then told him about the contents.

As time went on, I expressed an interest in going to University and studying Hebrew and Greek. It would have meant that I would be doing it under the auspices or sponsorship of the United Church, and that essentially I would be in training for the Ministry. I most certainly wasn't convinced that the United Church was the be-all-and-end-all, but it would be a way for me to get into those halls of learning where I could become expert in Hebrew and Greek, which were the languages of the Bible at the time of the writing of the various books of the Bible. That way I would be equipped to understand the Bible as it was originally written, and be able to expertly decide the correct interpretations of scripture, and not have to depend on others to decide this for me.

Mom and dad knew that I had been meeting with the Reverend, and that I was attending Church on Sundays. One day, quite by surprise, I came home and found some members from the United Church visiting with mom and dad. They were talking to them, trying to get them to pledge money on a monthly basis in support of the United Church. This was all on the basis that I was attending there. This did not go over very well with mom and dad, and after that I made a decision to stop attending. They felt the Reverend was into this more for the money than anything else. Also, they said that if I became a United Church Minister, it would be quite a feather in his cap for the Reverend.

In a private conversation one night, dad told me that if I was going to go to University to become a Minister of the United Church, go ahead, but don't look to him to finance my way. I told him that I did not necessarily want to go to University to become a United Church Minister. Rather, I had to have a sponsorship from some Church to get into the religion faculty, and I wanted to study Hebrew and Greek so that in the end I would be in a position to prove from the Bible what really was the "Truth".

At that point, dad said that if I was on this great quest for "Truth" then to be fair and open and comprehensive about it, when I was done studying the Bible, I would also need to go to India and study Hinduism and Buddhism, and similarly visit other countries like China and Japan and the Continent of Africa, and study all of the other religions. Then and only then would I be in a position to decide what is the "Truth". Secretly I said to myself "Yes dad, I am willing to do even that!"

Dad then reminded me that he will die believing this (JW Teachings) was the Truth, but that he didn't have the guts to go back to it, because the minute he did, there would be a lot of conflict and arguing with Mother.

I did a lot of thinking about what dad had told me. I felt sorry for him, that he did not have the courage of his own convictions. I also thought about the fact that research showed whatever primary issues remained undealt with or left unresolved by a parent of one generation, the children usually end up having to deal with it in order to finally resolve it. I was determined to find the "Truth" and to KNOW that I had found it, even though my dad had just kind of gave up on everything!

Meanwhile, back at High School (Grade 12) there were a lot of serious subjects and exams to prepare for. I focused on that until the end of school. I began to "cool" on the idea of becoming a Minister for a Church I did not really feel committed to. This, by no means meant that I was going to abandon my search for "Truth". However, I had just completed two years of Electricity and Electronics, and had extremely high marks, and I really loved that field of endeavor. Since I was going to have to find a way to finance my own career, I applied for jobs at a couple of Banks for after, when I graduated from high school. I would save up the necessary funds to go to College or University, perhaps in the field of Electronics. At least that was the plan.

It was July 1961, only ten days out of school, and I found myself working at the Bank of Nova Scotia in downtown Medicine Hat. This was a whole new world to me, the world of Business. I had to learn bookkeeping and accounting principals, the law and economics and government and politics, and all kinds of things I knew nothing about. Most of all, I had to learn about the Banking business. I felt like a babe in the woods. My first pay cheque was $175.00 for the first month of pay.That was the first and only time I had so much money I didn't know what to do with it all. After that, I learned how to spend. For the first year I had to learn how to be a Drafts Clerk, a Ledger Keeper and a Teller. I would get a ride to work in the mornings by dad, and would catch the bus back home after work. I still lived at home with mom and dad in Redcliff.

Friday nights I would usually stay down in the Hat and take in a movie or whatever, then catch the late bus home. (Mom and dad went out Friday nights, so never had to worry about bed times.) One Friday night I wasn't doing anything, and things were kind of boring. So I wandered across the bridge and walked to the Kingdom Hall, where they were having Kingdom Ministry School. There they taught Public Speaking, and put on field service demonstrations, etc. I found it quite interesting, so started to attend regularly each Friday night. I enrolled, and started to learn public speaking (Audience contact, use of notes, gestures, subject theme emphasized, extemporaneous speaking, etc.). A number of them attended the Kingdom Hall who lived in Redcliff, and they offered to give me rides home after the meetings. After a while I started to attend Watchtower meetings on Sundays, and would get rides down to the Hall with one of the brethren in Redcliff. Then I started to attend Tuesday night bookstudies with Gerry N. and others in one of the homes. Gerry N's wife used to be active, but at a certain point decided she could not believe the teachings, and so became inactive. We became good friends, as we shared a love of music. Then I began attending Bible studies with Gerry N. on Wednesday nights. He was having these studies in the home of Brother M with his wife, a non-believer, and I simply joined them. These Bible studies were very intense. Even though they lasted only one hour, we would continue on and discuss for hours all of the various JW teachings and doctrines and bible prophesy, etc. It was like I was making up for lost time, and I'm sure Gerry N. didn't mind, because he got to report all that time on his "field service report.

The problem was, I was starting to come in at 11:00 p.m. and midnight Tuesday and Wednesday nights, while mom and dad went to bed at 10:00 p.m. Mom would lay there in bed, but would not go to sleep until after she heard the door open and me going into my bedroom. The next day, I would be given a lot of accusatory looks, because now mom was over-tired due to my coming home so late and "waking her up" when I came in the door. There would be complaints and lectures about coming in so late as well. However, now I was 18, and I was doing nothing wrong; just studying the Bible at some friends' place. I also had my own money, since I was now earning a living in a good steady job. The time for treating me like a kid was over, and she knew it. I became expert at opening the door completely silently. I knew every squeek in the floor, and how to avoid them. I could turn on the furnace with the thermostat, then sneak into the bedroom without being heard or detected. However, mom would still be miffed at that, because then she would have to stay awake even longer, and finally had to get up and check the bedroom to see if I had returned home. This was a "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" situation, and I detested it. I felt persecuted by mom's attitude, thinking this was all about the fact that she couldn't stand that I was studying with JW's. (On the other hand, it could have been that she just wanted me to be home and go to bed when she did, and I never could see that as a reasonable expectation.) The tension between us started to grow and grow, and there was a very negative atmosphere around the house. And yet, when my birthday came around in April 1963, and things were very bad between us, mom got me this beautiful briefcase that I needed to do field service with. I couldn't thank her enough, and I loved her for it, yet the tension between us still persisted.

I believe it was in July of 1963 that a Convention was being held in Medicine Hat. I was approached by one Brother Ted who asked if I would like to get baptized then. I was totally surprised, but then it also made a lot of sense to me since I felt I was ready to make the commitment. So I said "Yes." Then he asked me if I would mind if they put my name in the local newspaper, as they are doing an article on the Convention, in which they mention who was baptized on that occasion. I said "OK." since I couldn't see there would be any harm in that, and I thought the only ones who would be interested in reading about that would be other Witnesses. Boy, I could not have been more wrong! Also, I never said anything to mom and dad about getting baptized, as I just thought it was an internal religious matter, and mom and dad did not really want to talk about what goes on inside the JW activities. At the Convention that weekend, I along with a few others, rose and affirmed our dedication to Jehovah, and after that were driven to the Kingdom Hall where we were all baptized by immersion. And that was it. Now I was officially a JW.

Little did I know of the storm clouds that would now be looming over the horizon as a direct result of this baptism that was reported in the local newspaper. That will be covered in the next episode, where I will talk about my life as a JW and how I got married.

LOL

Rod P.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Hey People!

I haven't forgotten you.

I still have to make a living, so need to book off a few days.

Also, I have been surfing a few other good threads, and had to stick my two cents in here and there.

Will get back next week.

LOL

Rod P.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Episode #5

The phone started ringing off the hook, and mom was the one who usually answered the phone. People from all over Medicine Hat and Redcliff were calling and asking "Is that your son I read about in the paper, getting baptised as a JW?" At first mom said she didn't know anything about it because I never said anything to her. When she asked me and I confirmed that I did get baptised, she got very upset and told me about all the phone calls, and how embarrassing it all was, because she had to find out second-hand from others. I tried to apologise, explaining that I just didn't know think it was such a bid deal, and she and dad did not seeem to be interested in anything I was doing with the Witnesses. After that, things went from bad to worse.

As a JW, I settled into the work of field service. One Saturday we were in a car filled with six witnesses, travelling in the countryside and knocking on farmhouse doors. It was Magazine day, so we were offering Watchtowers and Awakes. We came to the door of a guy who despised JW's. It was my turn, and someone in the car warned me about him. I went to the door with a companion beside me. I did the talking, and introduced ourselves as "members of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society". As I was talking, I could see he was pretty agitated. He said he was not interested, so we politely left and went back to the car. As we were preparing to drive away, the guy stomped out of his house, and jumped into his pick-up truck that was parked about 30 feet from where we were. A little boy, who looked about three years old, was sitting in the dirt right behind the left rear wheel of the truck, digging with a spoon. We all sat there in our car, staring at this unbelievable scene unfolding before our eyes, as the guy backed up his truck and ran over his little boy. It happened so fast there was no time to react, and that wqs the last thing anyone would have expected. Realizing what he had just done, he immediately jumped out of his trunk, scooped up his son and jumped back in his truck, and stormed off at a high rate of speed. No doubt he was now rushing to the hospital in town. We were all pretty shook up, and I felt an overwhelming sense of guilt that maybe I had triggered the whole thing, hurting this small child. If he hated JW's before, imagine how much he hated us now. This incident haunts me to this day, and I often wonder if that boy made out OK.

A short while later, I took a one-week vacation from the bank. At the assembly where I got baptised, I had met a guy whose name was Lee H. We became friends, and he lived in the town of Brooks, about 70 miles west of Medicine Hat, and he invited me to stay at his place. I decided to go Pioneering on my one-week vacation, and so I travelled to Brooks by Greyhound bus, and stayed with my new-found friend.It was fun, and this was the first time I had ever been away from home on my own. The congregation in Brooks was small (about 40) and I found everyone quite freindly. One of the Witnesses, Otto H., was a Reflexologist, who worked from his home, and patients would book appointments in advance. This gave him a lot of flexibility, as he could set his own hours and days for working. This enabled him to do field service on other days, which is why he became a full-time Pioneer, meaning at least 150 hours of field service a month. So while Lee was at work, I went around with Otto H, pioneering together.

Brooks was a town of about 3,000 people. Within a radius of 30 miles there were a number of smaller towns, each with a population of a few hundred (some even smaller). About 15 miles north and west of Brooks were the small towns of Rosemary and Duchess. In this rural area there lived a lot of Mormons and Mennonites, and the odd Japanese Buddhist. Years earlier all this land had been given to the Canadian Pacific Railroad (CPR) by the Government of Canada. In order to develop communities all along the railroad, the CPR offered the land for sale at $1.00 per acre to anyone who was willing to become a homesteader here. This attracted a lot of people to the area. The land was a vast prairie, which meant dry-land farming. To minimize risk against crop failures, and also to increase crop yields, they built the world's longest aqueduct running from the town of Bassano 30 mile west of Brooks, running straight past Brooks, and on to the town of Tilley, some 20 miles east of Brooks. This was built in the 1920's, and in its day, was an engineering marvel. This allowed the whole region to be irrigated with a reliable and controlled water supply. The Bow River wound south from the City of Calgary, which then fed into this aqueduct. Every so many miles the water would be released into head-ditches, which would feed down main canals, and then branch off to the various sections of farmland. This whole area became known as the Eastern Irrigation District (E.I.D.) and geographically was called the County of Newell. In the early years, when Brooks was first established, the town was named after its first Mayor- Mr. Brooks, who imported all kinds of trees and plants and planted them in the area. That is why Brooks and the surrounding area is so beautiful with countless deciduous trees everywhere you look, like an oasis in the desert.

This is where I did my Pioneering work. A number of JW's lived on farms in the County, and would drive into Brooks for the meetings at the Kingdom Hall. I was able to visit a number of these people on their farms. This brought back memories of my childhood when I lived on the farm with the Fishers. I fell in love with the area! As we knocked on doors, I met a number of Mennonites who, while they were polite, they were just not interested in listening to the messages of JW's. Mormons, however, loved to get into discussions. At one door, I met a Noel C. who was a school teacher, married with a family, and a former Mormon missionary. He was very well-versed in the Bible, and was very skilled in debating. He listened to my presentation (I was alone at his door.) Suddenly, he asked me where I got my authority to preach, because unless I could demonstrate that I had that authority, I had no right to be going around preaching religion to others. I told him this was a very good subject, and would like to come back again when we could discuss this matter more thoroughly. The truth was, I needed to be better prepared when up against someone with this level of knowledge and sophistication at articulating his points of view. Of course, as a JW, we relied on the Bible as God's Word, which would lead us to an understanding of the "Truth" The Bible was our authority, because we were preaching what the Bible said. At a subsequent meeting with Noel C. I explained our position on Authority. What he then told me, threw me for a loop. He said that there are many religions preaching and teaching from that same book, the Bible. Also, there are hundreds of translations of the Bible, and they don't all agree on every verse, especially those that have doctrinal implications. How then, can you be sure that you have the correct interpretation of Scripture? How do you know for sure that the other guy, or the other Church doesn't have the correct interpretation of the Scriptures, on this or that doctrine? Isn't it just a matter of opinion or debate as to who is right and who is wrong? On the other hand, if you can demonstrate that your Church was given the Authority from God to act or speak in His Name, then and only then, can you know that your interpretation is correct. I told him that the Bible teaches "By their fruits you shall know them." He countered that there are many Churches with many men and women who have the Christian "fruits" (faith, hope and charity, etc.) and live exemplary lives that would rival any of the JW's. So this is not necessarily a proof of Authority. Noel C. went on to explain that it was the Priesthoold that was the Authority from God. In Old Testament days, they had the Aaronic Priesthood, and the Priesthhod after the order of Melchizedek. One would not dare to speak for God unless one was ordained of the Priesthood. This was a very sobering experience for me, and left me baffled. What if he was right? I would have to dig into this subject further, to not only prove that Mormons did not have that authority, but that JW's did. I knew it was going to take some time to resolve this issue, and I only had a one-week vacation, and all my books were at home.

Anyway, one day we paid a visit to the farm of the "D. family" They were devout JW's, although the parents originally had been "converts". At the time, they had one daughter, age 18, and four younger brothers, all being raised in the "Truth". They attended school in the town of Rosemary, two miles from the farm. They were the only JW's in the school, where a couple of Buddhist kids also attended. The rest of the kids were either Mennonite or Mormon. The "D" kids often felt singled out and picked on by a lot of the Mormon kids, who behaved like "brats", and thought they were "It!". This made them stick together as JW's, and they were very loyal to the Watchtower Society.

I was very attracted to this young girl, a couple of years younger than me.They had a big party at the farm on the weekend, and pretty well the whole congrgation showed up. We had a ball. During the day the farmhand, Ed P., who lived there on the farm with his wife and two sons, came in from the field riding on this beautiful brown horse. He told me her name was Jeannie, and she was a very gentle horse, and I could ride her if I wanted to. He instructed me on the signals for "stop" and "go", left and right turns pulling on the reins, and how to ride in the saddle. I was dressed in my 3-piece banker's suit, with cuff-links in my shirt. I mounted up on Jeannie, and away we went. The only problem was, the stirrups were too long for my feet to reach comfortably. I could reach them only if I stood up in the saddle, when my toes could just touch the stirrups. We got out in the field, and Jeannie went from a walk to a trot. I told her "Whoah!", but she then went into a gallup, and then a full gallup. I was bouncing up and down in the saddle, and started to panic. I grabbed the reins, and pulled as hard as I could, and yelled "Whoooaaaah!" Except, I had only grabbed on to the left rein, so Jeannie thought I was signalling a left turn. I didn't know a horse could make a 90 degree turn that fast while galluping full tilt. As she swerved left, I went straight up in the air, and then straight down, and made a one-point landing on my butt. It knocked the wind out of me, and I landed so hard, the two cuff-links fell right out of my shirt. Don't ask me how! I looked down the field and saw Jeannie half a mile away, still galloping as hard as she could along the fenceline. I limped back to the farmhouse, and explained what happened. Ed P. went out and retrieve the horse. That was the last time I ever rode a horse. Still, all in all, we had a lot of fun on the farm that weekend. At the end of my vacation, I have to say it was a memorable experience, and I made a lot of new friends. I promised to write this pretty young girl I just met when I got back home. Her name was June D.

Now back home and at work, I was working as a Teller. I was having a lot of difficulty balancing my Cash at the end of each day. My bank manager had read in the paper about my JW baptism, and was very upset. I discovered his distaste for JW's when he called me into his office and asked if I had really become a JW. When I told him "Yes", he told me about a Church where the members allow themselves to be bitten by snakes, and then pray to God to get healed. "You can't tell me that is Religion!" he asserted. "And this standing on the street corners with Watchtowers and Awakes! Don't tell me that is Religion!" I could have argued this from the Bible, about how Jesus commanded his followers to preach the gospel, etc. But he was my Boss, and he was angry, so I just kept quiet. He finished his lecture, told me to think about it, and let me back to my work. Now, as I was having so much troubled balancing my daily Cash, he blamed the JW religion as the reason. He told the branch accountant that I wasn't concentrating on my work, because my head was thinking too much about religion.This wasn't true, of course. I just couldn't get things to balance. The accountant looks at your journal sheet daily, and if you're out, would try to help you find the differences. If you were short, the bank would charge you for the shortfall. They would record this on a ledgersheet in your name, and then deduct payments from your pay cheques to repay the Cash Shorts. One day, when I had another Cash Short, the Manager called the accountant into his office and told him "Let's fire him!" The accountant refused. The manager asked him "Why?" He said, "I lost nine brothers in the war fighting for our freedom of speech and religion, and it's people like you who will try to take it all away!" The accountant left his office, went to me and helped me find the difference. He told me what happened, and said "He's out to get you, you know." I continued on, trying very hard each day to balance, and did significantly improve.

Finally they took me off "Cash" and put me in the Loans and Discounts department. Suddenly the world of banking opened up to me, and I began to see the "bigger picture". Things clicked! I felt happy in my job, and knew I could succeed. A day came when they transferred one of the tellers to another city, so that our branch was short one teller. Wouldn't you know it, they put me back on "Cash". I groaned! But at the end of Day 1- "Sight balance." (meaning cash was balanced right off in 15 minutes, no recounts). Day 2- "Sight balance." Day after Day, this kept happening. It was amazing. "Very few tellers could achieve that" I was told. The bank manager later commented that every once in a while someone comes along who has trouble in one department. You take them off that department and put them in another, and they do well. Then you put them back where they were having trouble, and suddenly they "take off" with success. He said I must be one of them. He asked me if I was still a JW, and I told him I was.

One day a Western Canada Staff Department Supervisor visited the Branch. He interviewed us all one by one. In my interview, I explained some of the problems I was having at home, and that I was now older and needed to get out on my own. He smiled and said "Well, Rod, we'll see what the Bank can do for you." In two weeks my bank manager received a letter stating that I was being transferred out to the Airdrie Branch, about 20 miles north of Calgary, Alberta. I was to relieve the "Chief Clerk" (Branch Accountant) for one month, while he was away on holidays, and after that, I was to be transferred in to a downtown branch in Calgary. I was jubilant. Now it could never be said that I moved out of our home because of the JW Religion; the Bank had transferred me out, so I had to leave.

Obviously, I needed a car. My uncle had an old 1949 Ford parked out in his field. He sold it to me for $150.00. I was ready to face the world! I remember driving down that Trans-Canada Highway to my new home in Airdrie. It was very exciting, and I couldn't wait. Whenever a staff member gets transferred, the bank manager writes a letter to the manager of the branch where you are going to, with a copy to the District Staff Department. The branch accountant told me he read the letter, and commented that he had never seen a better letter of recommendation on file in all his years of banking. I guess he must have gotten over his hatred toward me as a J.W.

A few months earlier, I started writing letters to June D from the farm. She had graduated from Grade 12, and now wanted to go to post-seconday school to get training to become a Secretary. She decided to move to Medicine Hat and go to business college there. I helped her find a place to live. Would you believe it was the home of Grandma Fisher from the old farm, and who I studied with in High School. We began to see each other regularly, and we attended meetings together, and went out in field service together. We fell deeply in love, and we were planning to get married. But now I was being transferred out by the bank. This left June feeling pretty alone and kind of isolated, because I was her close companion.

When in Airdrie, and later Calgary, I would travel 180 miles from Calgary to Medicine Hat every weekend. I would stay with mom and dad, but spent most of the time with June. Soon the day came when June had completed her courses in Secretarial School, and now was ready to get a job. That summer we went to the International Convention in Pasedena, California. I had arranged a two-week holiday with the Bank. We all went to Pasedena with the D Family. I remember how we were all crammed into their stationwagon. It was a great trip, and we enjoyed the Assembly, but it was very hot there. By the end of the week we were all sick of Mexican food, and couldn't wait to get home for some roast beef and mashed potatoes smothered in brown gravy. After that, June moved to Calgary, and in due time got a Secretarial job, and took board and room at the home of the Congregation Overseer and his family. I was staying at the home of an elderly sister as well, with room and board. So now we were both living in Calgary, and looking forward to the big day when we would get married.

We settled into a routine, attending meetings, giving talks and going out in field service. I bought her a ring, and we celebrated our engagement. We planned a wedding for May 1964, which was less than a year away. One Saturday morning June and I went out in field service, making short presentations and offering magazines. There was only half an hour available, so in order to cover the entire block, June went one way and I went the other, and we were to meet each other on the other side of the block. June ended up on this one doorstep where she had a very interesting discussion with a guy who happened to be Mormon. His name was John C., and he was married with three kids, and also had a brother who was JW in Edmonton, Alberta. He therefore, was very familiar with JW teachings.

Because "Magazine Day" called for short presentations, June suggested we set up a meeting for another day, and she would introduce John C to me. The following week we did the visit, and we found the family very friendly. John and I hit it off immediately. At this meeting we set up the "ground rules" for later discussions. We decided to have a series of weekly discussions, and for each meeting we would focus on a single topic or doctrine. We also agreed to use the King James version of the Bible. We further agreed that we would listen to one another's presentations without interruption, after which we could ask questions and debate the subject. Looking at the list of topics, we tried to find a doctrine where Mormons and JW's differed the most. The most obvious was the "Soul Doctrine", because the JW's taught that when we die, we do not have a spirit or soul that leaves the body and lives on after death, whereas Mormons believed that we do. After the meeting, we went home, and I prepared for the next meeting. I was absolutely convinced we could prove from the Bible that we do not have an immortal soul, and that when we die, we do not live on as a spirit. At the next meeting, I proceeded to quote Ezekiel 18:4 "...the Soul that sinneth, it shall die". Then Genesis 2:7 "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul."So God created man from the "dust of the earth" - the elements, and breathed into man the "breath of life"- the life force, and it was this that made man a "living soul". You "are a Soul" NOT you "have a Soul". We got into Hebrew and Greek words for soul and spirit and talked about ruah, pneuma, psuche, nephesh, etc. We looked at scriptures that showed no man has an immortal soul. I Corinthians 15: 53, 54 talks of mortal man putting on immortality. I Timothy 6:16 says "who only hath immortality" referring to the Lord God. Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20 ".....a man hath no preeminence above a beast....All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again". The Bible uses the word "Soul"over 8,000 times, and speaks of it as dieing, being killed or captured, being weak or hungry, and all kinds of other attributes that show man is a soul, and it is not immortal. How then, can the Mormon Church be true? This was the thrust of the argument.

John C. agreed that in all these places, the use of the word "Soul" is in the context of man being a soul, but that none of these passages can be regarded as relevant to the doctrine of the soul, as they in now way speak about the nature of man. It is true that man is mortal, meaning he dies, and he seeks immortality, which means afterwards he would no longer be subject to death. But this does not address the question of the Nature of Man.

In terms of what happens when we die, when God created Adam, Genesis talks about him being made of the dust of the earth, and God bretehd nto his nostrils the breath of life, and so man became a living soul. This is talking about the Creation of man's body, and the breath of life that makes the living soul alive. But this does not necessarily prove that a spirit could not or does not inhabit the body. (Mormons believe in the preexistence of the spirti, that we were spirit children in Heaven before we came to earth to experience mortality and to obtain a physical body.) John asked me to consider Jeremiah 1: 1, 4-5: "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee, and before thou camest forth out of the womb I santified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." John asked "How can someone be foreordained if he did not yet exist? Some argue that this is about the foreknowledge of God, but that is a weak argument."

Then there is Ecclesiastes 12:

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

"If the spirit returns to God at death, surely the Bible is teaching that man has more than just the "breath of life" or "life force"

As we finished that meeting, it began to dawn on me that the Bible does not make its teachings clear and concise in every instance, but can be subjected to different interpretations. Even though we were in two different religious camps, believing the same book "the Bible", yet it was obvious we are believing diametrically opposite beliefs on the same doctrine using the same book to "prove" our respective interpretations. What is wrong with this picture?

A number of other meetings were subsequently held. We discussed the Trinity Doctrine on one occasion, and while there were differences, Mormons and JW's both disagree with the concept of "Three Gods in One God". However, JW's teach that the Holy Spirit is Jehovah's "activating force" whereas Mormons say the Holy Spirit is a separate and distinct personage, but does not have a body, while God the Father and Jesus Christ both have a body. They are "One" in terms of "Purpose" rather than in "Nature". This was a discussion that could go on for hours, maybe even days. We would never be able to fully resolve the differences one way or another, and it is a subject that can get extremely complicated. Christendom calls the "Trinity" a "Mystery" that we mere mortals simply cannot comprehend.

In another meeting we talked about the Hell doctrine, and we agreed that the Bible speaks symbolically about Hell, and that there is no such thing as a fiery, burning hell where we are literally burned and tortured forever in such a place.

John did tell us about the Joseph Smith story and the Book of Mormon, but we just weren't ready to accept this as true. We did take turns going to one another's meetings. One week John came to the Kingdom Hall and listened to a Watchtower study. The next week June and I went with John to a Mormon Church called a Ward, and we experienced a Sacrament Meeting and a Sunday School session, and I also went to one of their Elders' Quorum meetings. June was not very keen on going to a Mormon Church, but reluctantly went along anyway.

Time was marching on, and the meetings reached a kind of hiatus. We were getting closer to the time for the wedding, and John and his family were moving back to Penticton in B.C., so we would not be seeing each other in the forseeable future. I was not too thrilled with the $275.00 a month I was earning at the bank, so looked for a job elsewhere and found one as an assistant accountant with the Canadian Bronze Company. The company sold brass and bronze merchandise, and repaired and electroplated car bumpers that had been damaged in car accidents. They started me off at $300.00 a month. I now felt we were better prepared to live as a married couple and be able to cover our living costs. June was not going to be working at a job, so this would be our sole family income.

Now it was time to concentrate on plans for the wedding. We decided to have a "garden wedding" on the farm of June's family. I checked with the Weather Bureau for some historical data as to what the weather had been like over the years on the weekend of May 16, and statistically it looked quite promising. However, if the weather did turn out to be bad, we needed to be ready with alternate plans for an "indoor wedding". My dad said we had to be the world's "biggest optimists" planning for an outdoor wedding in May. It was not unusual around the Province of Alberta for there to be rain or snow at that time of year. Anyway, on the day of the wedding, the weather turned out to be bright and sunny, warm and very still. Some flowers were in bloom, and spring was definitely in the air. It could not have been better. The wedding was a beautiful success. The reception and dance was held in a rented hall in Brooks. At about 10:30 that night, we changed into clothes that were more comfortable, said our last goodbyes on the dance floor, and drove off into the night, back to Calgary and into our new apartment we had just rented. Half-way home, we ran into a very big snowstorm, and thought we weren't going to make it. Talk about how close this came to ruining the outdoor wedding. We considered ourselves very fortunate indeed!

After our one-week honeymoon, we settled down into married life. Everything was beautiful, and we were very happy. Or so we thought..........

................................................................to be continued.

• Jaypeeto
    Jaypeeto

I too got involved with the Mormons (actually got baptized by them) for several months before eventually becoming a Christian. Nice people, but I just couldn't stomach the doctrine that God the father has a flesh & bones body AND a heavenly literal WIFE up there, from whom our spirits were all born before we came to earth to get a body. Also couldn't take the teaching that God the Father (Elohim) actually came down to earth and, well, fertilized the Virgin Mary so that Jesus was eventually born. I'll say this for them, they are a much more charitable organization than the Witnesses ever will be. Love, Jaypeeto

• Rod P
    Rod P

To Jaypeeto:

Sorry to hear about your nervous breakdown over the JW thing. I believe that one of the reasons people get to such a state inside the JW Organization (and many other religions or cults as well) is that people who are attracted to faith and religion are usually much more sensitive than most. This is because they aspire towards being loving, meek, gentle and peaceful, and strive to be good and try to be "more perfect". They are not equipped to handle pressures and censorship and disapprovals and chastisements and crises. And when you are a JW, they are your whole life, your whole support network. If you lose that support, it can lead to some very real mental, psychological and spiritual dilemmas, even breakdowns.

I know that a lot of Mormon teachings can be a real struggle to accept. Stay tuned, and I will share with you why Mormons accept these things by faith, often quite readily, and how I ended up questioning the entire system.

My struggle in faith and religion has never been over the sincere, well-meaning followers of the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons. My beefs have always focused on the Leadership, the ones that teach and control all this, while you and I are virtually expected to just blindly accept it, and don't question and challenge anything, and pretty well keep your mouth shut or else there will be some real consequences to follow. In other words, never question their Authority....or else!

I see by your "Profile" that you spent time with the Presbyterians and more recently became affiliated with the Catholic Church. Before I became a Mormon, I delved into the Catholic Church to quite an extent. It became an issue of Mormons vs. Catholics. You may find this of interest in one of my upcoming Episodes (soon to come).

I hope you are finding life peaceful, enjoyable and fulfilling these days.

LOL,

Rod P.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Episode #6

One weekend there was a Calgary District Assembly which the wife and I attended. There was a talk on a Saturday morning after which we prepared to do field service. There were a number of us who got together in a car pool, and we were going to go to a territory in our 1949 Ford and offer magazines. One young lady asked if she could please join us, to which we said "Yes." I immediately saw two "Elders" come up to her, pull her aside, and proceed to scold her for talking to us, since it turned out she was disfellowshipped. She apologized, and just stood there crying, while looking at us longingly. I looked back at her, lip-synching "I'm sorry!", and away we went. I remember feeling very sorry for her, being all alone and trying to reach out for some companionship. I could feel her pain, and it just didn't feel right to treat anyone that way. It was hard to comprehend that this was "love" from Jehovah's "Loving Organization". This was the first time I actually watched Disfellowshipment in action, and I was not impressed.

In the congregation we attended, I was appointed as Magazine-Territory Servant. My predecessor told me that much needed to be done to organize things, and that some existing territories were too small, while others were way too big for one or two persons to take care of effectively. The first thing I did was go to City Hall and purchase two sets of large-scale maps of the whole downtown area, since these were the boundaries of our congregation. Every single block was shown in detail, even the individual Lots within each block, all of the road allowances and, of course, all the streets and avenues were clearly named. Then we walked around every block and counted the individual residences and businesses. Also, the downtown core had a number of high-rise apartments, and these too were quantified. From there, we were able to determine the appropriate size and boundaries for each territory. Then I mounted one of the maps on a large 4 ft. by 8 ft. board, and drew outlines around each territory which were quite visible from 6 ft. away. Now when someone came to me for a territory, they could easily point out the one they wanted, and then receive the assignment. With the second map, I cut up the individual territories and mounted them on cards, gave them a territory number (which I also inserted on the Big Board Map), and put them in a Card File Box in numerical order. This whole project probably took about 60 - 70 hours work over the course of a month. This whole system was designed to allow individuals to select a territory, receive their assignment and get a copy of their own territory map, while at the same time keeping a record on hand as to who had which territory at any point in time, much like a public library handles books for check-ins and check-outs. This seemed to work quite well, and everyone seemed happy with the system. Then the Circuit Servant visited the congregation. He interviewed each one in a position of leadership. When he looked at the Magazine-Territory Servant, and the way things had been done, his advice was "Your time would have been better spent out in the field service." I did not say anything, but the lesson I learned was "Never do your best at anything, unless it has to do with field service."

After a few months went by, we were visiting the wife's parents on the farm. We were told that the farm-hands were let go, and the sons were old enough now to handle all the work. This left the house they were living in vacant. It was an opportunity for us to live on the farm, a kind of childhood dream come true for me, and a chance for June to be close to her parents and brothers. At the time I had a job interview with a lawyer in Brooks (15 miles from the farm) and he needed an office accountant, and would also train the person he hired on how to do legal collections. He offered me the position with the same income I was earning in Calgary plus commissions on amounts I could bring in from collections. We were very excited, and a month later we moved to the farm. I drove to-and-from work. And, of course, we're now living where a lot of Mormons are too. We all felt very close to each other, like one big happy family!

In field service I encountered a number of these Mormons and had a number of intereesting discussions with them. The questions of having the Authority to Preach came up a lot, so decided to pursue this whole matter. Over the years I had collected a lot fo the older Watchtowers and Awakes, books and booklets, etc, including material from the Rutherford and Russell eras. Then along came the 30-year comprehensive Index to Watchtower Publications. With this tool, I was able to research pretty well any question or topic and find it from the publications that were on hand. When it came to Mormonism and the question of Authority, I was able to find pretty well anything the Society had written on these topics. Of course, Mormons are not the only ones to claim an exclusive authority from God. The Catholic Church makes it s claim to that Authority on the basis of Apostolic Succession. "Thou art Peter (petros), and upon this Rock (petra) I will build my church."

Why was the question of Authority becoming such a priority to me? A few years earlier, back in Medicine Hat, there was an assembly at which the booklet "The Word, Who is He According to John?" was released. Around about this time, there was an article in the Watchtower about "Subjection to Superior Authorities", based on the scripture at Romans 13:1 "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God. The powers that be are ordained of God." (KJV)

Back in the time of Rutherford and the Second World War, there were a lot of male JW's who ended up in court for not going to war. As a defense, these Witnesses used the scripture at Romans 13:1. The Governing Body's interpretation at the time was that these "Higher Powers" (or what the JW's now called the "Superior Authorities") were none other than Jehovah God and Christ Jesus. In other words, this was their justification for taking their stand against the war. Their subjection was to Jehovah God and Christ Jesus, and NOT to the earthly governments and rulers, or civil authority. The courts brought in members of the clergy, experts in the languages of the Bible and interpretation of scripture, who pointed out that the "Higher Powers" in this scripture were, in fact, the earthly govenments and rulers, and therefore when that authority tells you to go to war against tyranny, then we should obey. But the JW's, of course, were not going to accept their interpretation, because these clergy were part of the world-wide empire of false religion known as "Babylon the Great", and were in the hands of Satan the Devil, the god of this world or "System of Things". And so these JW brethren went to jail.

Now fast forward about 20 years,. Now the Governing Body has this "New Truth" that the "Higher Powers" (or "Superior Authorities" in the NWT) are, in fact, the earthly governments and rulers, and NOT Jehovah God and Christ Jesus as they had taught previously. They then went on to quote other scriptures to show that our subjection to these "Superior Authorities" is a Relative Subjection, so that our subjection can only be so long as their laws do not conflict with God's laws. To the extent man's laws are in conflict with God's laws, then in such instances we must obey God's higher laws rather than that of the Superior Authorities. But this does NOT deal with the real issue here. Nobody, including the clergy, would argue that where men's laws are in contradiction of God's higer laws, we must obey God's before man's laws. However, the question I had at the time, and still have, is: How is it that these so-called evil clergy, as part of this "Babylon the Great", this world-wide empire of false religion under the control of Satan the Devil, possessed this "New Truth" years in advance.of the Governing Body who Jehovah supposedly inspired and revealed this New Truth exclusively to them? Is the Devil revealing Truth to his clergy years in advance of Jehovah revealing the same Truth to his Faithful and Discreet Servant, the Governing Body? Impossible!!! The real Truth is, the Society was wrong in the first place, and then later had to correct their interpretation of scripture, which was simply a "catch-up" to what the clergy and Biblical schollars already knew years earlier. And this is only ONE example of many that could be cited to demonstrate the problem with the Governing Body's claim to "progressive revelation".

After having had quite a few discussions with Mormons along the way, it was becoming clear that one did have to have proper and legitimate Authority to act and preach in the name of God. This would serve as a sign, a proof, that you were receiving and being taught the correct interpretation of scripture, insofar as it is correctly translated. I had learned that merely appealing to the Bible itself to "prove" what the Bible teaches is a fallacy that cannot be successfully maintained. Here's why: Suppose you had two persons of equal intelligence (say 190 I.Q.) who took the identical scripture that had doctrinal implications. Give them the same library research materials, and give them the same amount of time (say 6 months). However, one individual belongs to one religion, and the second belongs to another religion, and these two religions teach opposing interpretations on that particular scripture. So these people, having faith in the Bible and in the teachings of their respective churches, begin to do their research. However, they tend to start from the position of their own Church, and then go on to try to prove it true. In other words, "Believing is seeing!" Because they believe a certain way to begin with, their research efforts will tend to be from the standpoint of proving "true" the very interpretation of their own Church. So at the end of six months, you put these two individuals in a room and let them debate the issue. In the end, each one will think and believe they are right and the other person is wrong, so that neither one "proves" anything to anyone. And even if one person did convince the other person that his/her interpretation was right and the other person's was wrong, what would this prove? It would simply show that the one person was perhaps a little more skilled in debating over the other person. In the final analysis, it proves absolutely nothing of a certainty, except that there is a difference of opinion. We may well be simply fooling ourselves that we have the infallibly correct interpretation of scripture. The fact that there are so many different religions that believe in the same book, the Bible, and yet doctrinally disagree with each other, certainly demonstrates that we need more than just the Bible itself to arrive at the "whole Truth" and "nothing but the Truth" from the Bible. The sad part is, that there are quite a number of these "Christian" churches or organizations that say your very own Eternal Salvation rests upon you making the right decision about embracing the "Truth" from the Bible. Which "Truth"? God help the human race if eternal Salvation is dependent upon our intellectual capacity and prowess!

True Story: There was one woman years ago who became what is known as a "Professional Joiner". She had listened to the messages of truth from the Bible from representatives of several professed Christian organizations. They all told her she needed to make a choice, and her eternal salvation depended upon it. She could not make up her mind who was right and who was wrong. So she joined all these different Churches, and belonged to all of them at the same time. When asked why she did that, she replied that she did not want to make the wrong choice, so if she joined all of them, then surely one of them would be the Right Church, and so her Eternal Salvation would be assured. How funny! How sad!

And I was beginning to discover from experience that there were quite a number of teachings from the Watchtower Society that were debatable, even questionable. Of course, that made me guilty of "independent thought", which is not allowed. How dare you question the Governing Body?

Speaking of questioning doctrines. As an example, there is the "Soul Doctrine" which I talked about in a previous episode. One thing that did not make sense to me was" If, when we die, we go out of existence, our bodies go back to the "dust of the earth" and our "spirit" or "life force" goes back to the God who gave it. The publications taught that everything that was "US" when we were alive,our personality, our memories of all our experiences, etc. goes back to Jehovah God who has a perfect memory or recollection of all that we were. Then, in the resurrection, God makes a new body, and implants everything of his memory of us from when we were alive into that new body, and this then becomes "You" in resurrected form. But this really ISN'T "You"; it is only a duplicate, a replica, a "clone" of you. The real "You" went out of existence when you died. So, once you go out of existence thru death, what do you care whether you get resurrected or not? I mean really, why should you even care? And why even worry whether you are going to make it thru the Battle of Armageddon and into God's New World? When you die, you no longer exist! That's why I began to seriously doubt the Watchtower Society's teaching on the doctrine of the Soul. If there is an after-life, then there simply MUST be a continuity of existence. Annhilation just makes no sense to me!

These are the seed thoughts that were simmering on the back-burners of my brain, and were starting to percolate to the surface, motivating me to try and answer the question: Which religion has the true Authority from God to act and speak in His Name? Find the answer to that, and I will find the religion or channel thru which God is revealing the correct interpretation of the Scriptures, thru their inspired leaders.

In my next Episode, I will try to explain how I dealt with this whole issue, and where this led me to as a consequence.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Episode #7

I looked around the world of Christendom, asking the question "Who has dealt with the question of Authority in relation to understanding and interpreting scripture?"

Protestantism, in its many forms and sects, essentially held the view that the Bible itself was that authority. If you want to know the truth from God, you need only to look it up in the Bible, and it will reveal the truth from God. In other words, the Bible interprets itself. The W.T. essentially held this same view, except that they would line up all these doctrines, and then quote all these scriptures using their own interpretations of them, and then say "See, this is what the Bible says, and so all the other churches are wrong because they are not teaching these same truths from the Bible. What a ludicrous and circular argument that is! The fallacy of this "Bible only" theory is that there are just too many Protestant religions and sects teaching different interpretations on the same scriptures, even to the point of breaking away from their parent organizations, only to form yet another Church. The main Protestant groups maintain that "we may disagree on a lot of the smaller points, but when it comes to the primary tenets of Christianity, we are all in basic agreement with one another." Yet, when you examine this more closely, you discover there are some very real and significant differences that continue to keep them apart rather than unite them. This is reminiscent of the "Chaos of the Cults" one religous writer once wrote a book about. They cannot all be right together. So to me, the "Bible only" as a way to accurately interpret the scriptures therein is simply a notion that cannot and does not successfully hold up in fact and in truth.

The next thing I looked at was the Catholic Church. They claimed that theirs was the one true Church of Christ on the earth. Here's why:

Matthew 16:13-19 (KJV)

vs.13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

vs.14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some Elias: and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

vs.15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

vs.16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

vs.17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed are thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven

vs.18 And I say also unto thee, That thou are Peter ("Petros" or Rock- Greek- masculine), and on this rock ("Petra"- Greek feminine) I will build my church, and the gates of hell ("hades") shall not prevail against it.

vs.19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

The Catholic Church interprets Matthew 16:18 that Peter was the Rock upon which Jesus Christ would build his church. That was why Jesus changed Simon's name to Peter (Petros- the Rock) and it was on this Rock (Petra) that Jesus would build his church. Protestants have argued that this can't mean Peter, because Petros was a maculine form of Rock, whereas Petra was the feminine form of Rock. Catholics, however, say Jesus had to use Petros the masculine form for Peter since he was a man. On the other hand, Petra, the feminine form had the meaning of a rock that was immovable, firmly embedded, whereas Petros meant a rock that was hewn out of a mountain, implying unstable. So the change in gender does not discount the interpretation that Peter was the Rock upon which Jesus built his church.

Now from this doctrine came the teaching of Apostolic Succession. In other words, there would be 12 apostles who would stand at the head of the Church, and Peter had the first or leading position amongt them. He was their head, and thus he was referred to as the First Bishop or "Pope". Peter was the first Pope at the head of Christ's Church on earth. And someone must always be in that position, because if there wasn't this succession and continuity then "the gates of hell" would prevail against Jesus' Church, and that would make Christ's promise a lie. To illustrate this succession, they quote Acts 1:26 "And they gave forth their lots, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was numbered with the eleven apostles" (KJV) (Lots were like small stones or pebbles, which were typically used to ascertain God's will. It would be like "rolling the dice" and watching the outcome.) So when one apostle died, another person would take his place. This "Apostolic Succession" operated in the "Council of the Cardinals" down thru the centuries to this very day. In the end, Catholics argue that they are the oldest church that has been around since the time of Christ, and have continued on without interruption until today, and so the gates of hell have not prevailed against Christs Church.

There have been good Popes and there have been bad Popes. Do bad Popes prove that this is NOT the true church? Let's look at the following parable of Jesus at Luke 13:47-49 (KJV):

vs.47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind.

vs.48 which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.

vs.49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just.

So, according to the parable, the kingdom of God on earth (as represented by his Church) is like a net of good and bad fishes. (This means bad members of the Church, even bad Popes). When the net is full, the fishermend go ashore, and separate the good fish from the bad fish, or keep the good ones and throw away the bad. At the time of the "end of the world" the angels will come and separate the good from the bad. It is God who will do the judging and the separating, Not Man.

Now when the head of the Church stands in his official capacity as the Chief Bishop or Pope (like Peter was the head in his day) and pronounces the will of God, or interprets the scriptures, he is given the divine protection and guidance of the the Holy Spirit. Therefore, he cannot err, or make mistakes. He is "infallibly correct" precisely because of the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Hence arose the doctrine of Papal Infallibility. It does not mean the Pope has to be perfect, or can't make mistakes. So many people do not understand this Catholic teaching. The word "Catholic" by the way, simply means "Universal"- the "Universal Church of Jesus Christ" for all mankind. Why then, do so many people say the words "Catholic Church" like it leaves a bad taste in their mouths?

Protestants, of course, will not accept the Catholic interpretation of Matthew 16:18. The Church of Christ does not rest its foundation on a mere man. They regard the Rock as "the faith which Peter confessed" or that the "Spiritual Rock" is actually Jesus Christ himself, and after his death and resurrection "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it (the Christ)."

When verse 19 speaks of giving unto Peter "the keys of the kingdom of heaven" the Catholic Church sees this as being given the "authority to act in the name of the Lord thru his Church.....And whatsoever they shall bind on earth shall also be bound in heaven. This authority gives them the right and the power to bind and loose. Protestants, of course, reject this. They see the keys of the kingdom as being doctrine and discipline, which are to be found in God's word, the Bible.

Feeling that I was on the right track, I began to study the teachings of the Catholic Church in earnest. I ordered some 75 booklets from the Knights of Columbus, which dealt with just about everything concerning their doctrines and teachings. In addition, there were about another 30 books on Catholic teachings that covered things in much more depth. Now there was no way I was going to do all this at home. I was still a practicing J.W. and my wife and her family were very active with meetings and field service, and it was expected that I would carry on as per normal. They did not yet know the "Crisis of Faith" I had now entered into. That was why I had the books shipped to the law offices in Brooks where I worked. As for studying, this was done during lunch hours, coffee breaks and "overtime periods". It was a race against time. And in the process I was discovering that the W.T. had written a lot of things about the Catholic teachings that were simply not true, which made my struggle to believe what they said even harder to believe or accept. They had lost all credibility with me.

After a few months, we received a letter in the mail from John C., the Mormon family we had studied with in Calgary, but who were now living in Penticton, British Columbia, over 800 miles away. His wife was in the hospital, about to have a baby. John C. gave us a progress report on what they were doing, and wondered what we were up to. At the same time, I was becoming pretty convinced the Catholic Church was true. I had also reached the point where I could NOT continue to live and function as an active J.W. I confessed to my wife and family, and they were pretty shocked. How could I believe in such a wicked and evil and corrupt church? Look at its history, its Inquisitions, its Crusades, all the wars they were involved with, etc., etc. "The kingom of God is like a net with both Good and Bad fishes." It was the Authority to act in the name of God that was the key, and the only way we could possibly solve the problem of Biblical interpretation. I brought all the Catholic publications home and continued to study them openly, much to their chagrine.

They put a lot of pressure on me to reconsider. They talked about the consequences that would follow if I became a Catholic- the disfellowshiping, the losing of my family and so on. I relented, and gave in and gave up. They told me that if I was sincere and not going to become Catholic, then I should burn all their books. I told them that burning all their books was no different than what the Catholic Church did from time to time- burn all the books to protect everyone from so-called heresies and heretics. This is the kind of thing the W.T. publications had complained about respecting the Catholic Church, and also that they tell their members not to read any literature from outside their church, a kind of censureship. So, it's not O.K. for them to do this, but it is O.K. for J.W.'s to do this. They told me that we are all free to read anything, but in my case, since it was shipwrecking my faith, I should burn them as a protection for my faith. I relented, and gave in, and gave up once more, because I did not want to lose my family. So on Saturday morning we went outside in the farmyard to the pit where previous fires had been lit, and I piled all the Catholic books and publications there and lit a match. I stood there watching them burn, ostensibly to make sure the fire didn't spread, but with tears secretly rolling down my cheeks. This was all so very wrong!

While my faith was pretty shaky, even destroyed, as a J.W., we continued to attend meetings and go out in field service as a family. But underneath it all, my heart was just not in it. In spite of all this, I was still thinking seriously about joining the Catholic Church. (I must admit, however, there were things about Catholic history that really bothered me.)

As I stated earlier, we received a letter from John C. I decided to write him back, which I did from work. I told him that I was thinking about joining the Catholic Church, and told him why as per above. He wrote back, saying that when he read my letter he nearly "fell out of his truck". Anyway, he offered to correspond in the mail where the challenge would be the question of Authority, but this time it would be the Catholic Church vs. the Mormon Church. I wrote back, agreeing with him, since I also thought this would become a very good testing grounds for my belief that the Catholic Church had the authority to act in the name of God.

Shortly thereafter I received some pamphlets in the mail (at the office) along with the Book of Mormon. There was also a pamphlet that talked about the strength of the Mormon position, which I am now going to share with you here, as copied from the internet:

The Strength of the Mormon Position

Author: the late Elder Orsen F. Whitney, of the Council of the 12 Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

The author related the following incident under the heading "A Catholic Utterance"

Many years ago a learned man, a member of the Roman Catholic Church, came to Utah and spoke from the stand of the Salt Lake Tabernacle. I became well-acquainted with him, and we conversed freely and frankly. A great scholar, with perhaps a dozen languages at this tongue's end, he seemed to know all about theology, law, literature, science and philosophy. One day he said to me "You Mormons are all ignoramuses. You don't even know the strength of your own position. It is so strong that there is only one other tenable in the whole Christian world, and that is the position of the Catholic Church. The issue is between Catholicism and Mormonism. If we are right, you are wrong; if you are right, we are wrong; and that's all there is to it. The Protestants haven't got a leg to stand on. For, if we are wrong, they are wrong with us, since they were a part of us and went out from us; while if we are right, they are apostates whom we cut off long ago. If we have the apostolic succession from St. Peter, as we claim, there is no need of Joseph Smith and Mormonism; but if we have not that succession, then such a man as Joseph Smith was necessary, and Mormonism's attitude is the only consistent one. It is either the perpetuation of the gospel from ancient times, or the restoration of the gospel in latter days."

So there it was- the great question: Who has the Authority? With this in mind, I launched into a serious study of the Mormon Church. I felt that I had by this time, arrived at a fairly good understanding of the teachings of the Catholic Church, so now I needed to get a good insight on the teachings of the Mormon Church. The pamphlets were ones that the Mormon missionaries used in their door-to-door work, where interested parties would get into discussions and studies with these missionaries.

We reviewed the Soul doctrine, and by this time I had no problem that we have a spirit that lives on after death. As a J.W., I had to agree with the Mormons that there were not 3 gods in one God- a triune Deity. It was one of the doctrines that concerned me with the Catholic Church. But remember, if the Catholic Church truly did have that Authority, then I would be assured that their teachings were divinely inspired and preserved. You do not find the true Church by studying doctrines. You find which Church has the true authority, and then you know what is the correct interpretation of scripture, because the true Church would be inspired of God to teach the Truth. Mormons taught that there was God the Father, God the Son who is Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit who is a personage without a body.

The Mormons taught that there was no fiery hell where we would be tortured and tormented forever because of our sins. The Bible was speaking figuratively about hell and hell-fire, not literally. Eternal Hell was separation from God and living in "outer darkness". (J.W.'s taught that hell is the common grave of mankind.) On the other hand, this Mormon concept of hell was diametrically opposite to Catholic teachings, which tell of a literal fiery hell where you burn for all eternity. The Mormon doctrine states that we existed before we came to earth in this life (i.e. the Pre-existence of Souls) A number of scriptures in the Old and New Testaments allude to this. The Mormons practiced what they call the Word of Wisdom, which means no smoking, and no drinking tea, coffee or alcohlic beverages. There certainly is nothing wrong with living like that! Mormons tithed, and so did the Catholic Church (but J.W.'s relied on voluntary donations). Mormons taught a Plan of Salvation, where we were with our Father in Heaven before we came to earth. Then we came to earth to experience Mortality, and to get a physical body. This life was a learning experience, and but one more step towards our eternal progression. Mormons taught that "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become". We were the spiritual offspring of our Heavenly Father, and in eternity, we would have the opportunity to become like Him, gods in our own rites, who would be able to go off and create worlds of our own. It is the power of the keys of the Priesthood by which this is done. Thru the Priesthood, we could go on to inherit the highest degree in the Celestial Kingdom in the hereafter. This Priesthood is the Authority to act in the name of God. There is the lesser Priesthood, after the Order of Aaron, and which is referred to as the Aaronic Priesthood. Then there is the higher Priesthood, after the Order of Melchizedek, which is referred to as the Melchizedek Priesthood. These Priesthoods can be passed on to other eligible males thru the "laying on of hands" where they are conferred upon any worthy candidate by someone who has that Priesthood authority already.

When Jesus asked Peter "But whom say ye that I am?" and Peter answered "Thou are the Christ, the Son of the living God" (Matthew 16:15,16). Jesus said to him "Blessed art thou, Simone Barjona, for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 16:17) So Peter knew that Jesus was the Christ by REVELATION from God. "And I say also unto thee, "That thou art Peter (the Rock) and on this Rock I will build my Church." (Matthew 16:18. What is that Rock? It is the Rock of Revelation whereby God directly reveals His truth thru a Prophet of God. This continuing revelation is what Jesus Christ would use to build his Church.

Both the Mormon Church and the Catholic Church teach that there would be an Apostasy from the Church, a falling away. 2 Thessalonian 2:3 (KJW) tells us:

"Let no man deceive you by any means; for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition."

The Catholics say there was a falling away from the Church.The Mormons taught there was a Great Apostasy, a falling away from the Church AND of the Church. As a result, the Priesthood was removed from the earth, to be restored on the earth in the last days, or latter days. Then they teach that heavenly beings visited the young boy Joseph Smith, and restored and conferred the Priesthood upon Joseph Smith and his companion at the time, Oliver Cowdery. Also, an angel named Moroni visited Joseph Smith and showed him where some plates had been deposited that contained a record of certain peoples on this continent, and the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This book was supposed to be a companion to the Bible, and both would testify that Jesus was the Christ. Joseph Smith later translated these plates by the power of the Urim and Thummin that were deposited with the plates. In short, the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the authority of the Priesthood was restored to the earth in these latter days. Each of these points were discussed at great length, and I became satisfied that they made sense, and that the Gospel had indeed, been restored to the earth. At the same time, however, I was told to read the Book of Mormon and to pray about it, and ask God if it is true. I did that, and something happened inside me that told me this was true! It was as though the Holy Spirit was witnessing to my soul that this was true, and I felt a kind of "burning of the bosom". I can remember a similar "feeling" years earlier, when I was having Bible studies with Grandma Fisher from the farm. I asked her why it was that after I left the Bible study to go back to school, why did I have this tremendous feeling of warmth and elation and love and peace inside. "Don't you know?" she asked. "No!" I said. "It is Jehovah,s Holy Spirit," she explained.

But now I had the same problem I did with the Catholic Church. What to do? I knew I had found the Church with true Authority from God, but I would have to be prepared to lose my family over it. Around this time, I took a week off work, and June and I went on holidays. Just before we left, my boss, the owner of his own Law Practice, had been served with papers from the Law Society, for failure to provide them with a Certificate from the Auditors that his Trust Ledger was up-to-date and in order. These represended funds that the lawyer was holding on behalf of all his clients, and must be fully accounted for and treated responsibly. Lawyers are not allowed to dip into these funds, and use them for personal reasons or personal gains. As the accountant, I had to post s $5,000 Trust Cheque issued to a furniture company to buy personal furniture that was moved into their new residence they had just built in town. But there were no funds on hand, against which this cheque could be charged. In other words, I had to open up a new Trust Ledger Sheet in the name of my boss, post the cheque, which then showed a "$5,000 balance" "in the red." When I approached my boss with the question "Where should I post this cheque." He replied that he had arranged a loan with the Credit Union, and that the funds had not yet been released, and so that deficit account will be covered when the Loan funds come in. In the meantime, the Auditors saw the negative balance, and refused to issue the Certificate, unless and until, he covered the overdraft in that trust account. That was what prompted the Law Society to serve him with papers, and he had something like 2 days to provide them with the necessary Certificate. So when I went on holidays, I was very restless over what my boss was going to do in my absence.

Upon returning from holidays, I immediately discovered that my boss had a copy of that Certificate on his desk, and that he had met the requirements of the Law Society. I was greatly relieved. A couple of days later, I was working on the Trust Ledger, and in the mail was a trust cheque from the bank that was returned for the reason "Estate funds not yet cleared". The amount was $4,850, and the cheque was in the name of an Estate of a deceased person being administered by a Trust company. But there was no ledger sheet that matched the name on the returned cheque. I approached my boss and asked him about this, and he said "The account should be in there somewhere." "O.K. I'll try to find it." I told him. I looked and looked. I noticed the date stamped on the back of the cheque by the bank, and it was the day after I left for holidays. Then I noticed he had written a cheque from his personal General Ledger which he had a cheque for $150 payable to his Trust Bank account, and the stamp on the back had the same date as the other Estate cheque. Then I looked at the Bank Deposit book for that date, and here it showed a $5,000 deposit with his own name notated there. It was obvious he had used the $4,850 estate cheque along with his $150 General account cheque to make the $5,000 deposit to his Trust account. I knew that if I posted this in the Ledger, that would mean I had knowledge of what was going on, and so would be implicated in the whole matter. Since my boss would not admit to any wrong-doing, I immediately went to the Auditors and showed them what I had seen. They groaned, because they were personal friends of my boss. Professionaly however, they had to report this to the Law Society. Within 24 hours the Law Society's Auditors walked in the front door and shut everything down, and seized control of the ledgers and the bank accounts, and proceeded to audit his entire Client files. This resulted in my boss getting disbarred, and me being laid off with no job, and no means of support.

I then visited my home town of Medicine Hat and looked for work. Luckily I was immediately hired as an accountant for the Alberta Linseed Oil Company. Essentially, they would purchase truckloads of flaxseed from farmers at daily street prices, then crush the seeds to extract the oil to make Linseeed Oil for paint. The seed pulp was mixed with supplemental vitamins and minerals, and then was moulded into feed blocks for cattle, and sold back to the farmers. So we moved back to the Hat, and settled in. I later heard that my boss back in Brooks had been sentenced to 18 months and was serving his time.

After about three months at my new job, we went back to Brooks to visit the wife's family on the farm. We stayed an extra day, so that when I returned to work, the boss had taken offence at my absence, and told me I was fired. I apologized, but it was too late.

Back to Brooks we went. I found an opening at the E.I.D. (Eastern Irrigation District) and they hired me to work on a Survey crew, and the District would provide us with an E.I.D. house to live in. That was exciting, because it felt good to be back, and I wanted to try working outdoors for a change, instead of being in an office all day every day.

At this time our first daughter was born. I was able to go to the operating room and watch the birth. It was an awesome experience, and it felt strange and good to be a daddy. I felt thankful for my beautiful family, and was happy where we lived, and with my new outdoor job.

Now, in our move to Medicine Hat, I wrote to John C. a letter explaining what had happened, and asked him to send me another Book of Mormon, as the first one was lost back in Brooks. He wrote back, saying that he would not send me a Book of Mormon, because if I had already recognized it as the truth, then I still had it, but if I didn't recognize it, I probably never would. A day later he sent me the book, telling me he changed his mind. I opened up the book and started to read. That same spirit that hit me back in Brooks came over me again, and it was very powerful. I knew I had to act! But then I got caught up in the move back to Brooks, and so again, I put things on hold, while sorting out our new circumstances, a new job, a new house and a new daughter. There was so much going on.

After things had settled down into a kind of routine, I began to revisit my battle with Faith, and what to do about it. I decided it was time to join the Mormon Church. I drove to the home of Noel C. who I had met a few years ago as a J.W. and he had challenged me to prove I had the authority to preach. Now I had to tell him I wanted to join the Mormon Church. He brought in another young Mormon who lived in the area, and also did Missionary work. They had the Missionary discussions with me, which were the same ones I had by mail with John C. They realized that I had already covered all this, and I had accepted everything, so they set things up for me to get baptized in their Church at the Town of Duchess. I told them I wanted to be baptized by John C., the Elder who had been with me from the very beginning. Noel C. offered to conduct the services, and on a Saturday I attended that Church and was baptized.

I told my wife I was going to do this, and they all tried to get me to change my mind. But there was no turning back, and I knww this was the Truth. John C. and his family drove down to Brooks to our home and visited with us. June was very friendly towards them. After all, she was the one who had first met them, and introduced me to them. But in the midst of her being a sociable host, I knew her heart was heavy as she agonized over what I was about to do- join the Mormon Church. After the baptism, John and his family drove home again.

Getting baptized meant that I was now considered an Apostate from the Jehovah's Witnesses. Disfellowshipment was inevitable. I was served with a double-registered letter from the presiding "Elders" of the Brooks Kingdom Hall, informing me of the meeting where I would be disfellowshipped, and they encouraged me to attend on my own behalf. One of the three on the Disfellowshiping Committee was my own father-in-law, which made this especially painful. I wrote a letter to this Committee, citing many scriptures I knew the Society regarded as to what it meant to be a Christian, and that even though I had joined the Mormon Church, I was still in harmony with, and accepted those scriptures. Therefore, by their own definitions, I was still a Christian. I gave this letter to my father-in-law, while he strongly kept insisting again and again and again that I attend that disfellowshipping hearing. I respectfully declined, saying that everything I had to say was already in that letter. A few days later I received another letter from them advising that I had been disfellowshipped. This then, set up a real backlash from the family. They came to town to pick up my wife and our baby in her arms, to take her to the farm to stay there for a period of time. The mother scolded me saying, "This is our daughter, and we gave her to you, and now look what you've done!" As they all left, one of the brothers who was the last one out the door, turned to me and said "I feel sorry for you Rodney!" That was the last we spoke to each other for an awfully long time.

So there I was, alone in our living room, thinking about everything that had happened, and I was in agony, and felt heart-sick. Yet I knew I had joined the True Church. Surely God will guide me thru all this mess. After all, "I did the right thing, didn't I?" And as I sat there, I began to hear funny noises coming from the kitchen. I got up and went into the kitchen to see what was causing the noise. Nothing! I went back and sat down in the living room. Suddenly, there was that strange noise again. Again I went and checked the kitchen. Nothing! Funny ideas went thru my head. You know how the J.W.'s keep talking about Satan the Devil and his demons. Was this noise his doing? Had I been deceived? Am I in real danger here? Then, that noise again. A chill went up my spine, and I approached the kitchen cautiously. I stopped just in the landing, while hiding my body around the corner, still in the living room, but peeked my head out to peer into the kitchen. Nothing! I waited and watched, and watched and waited. I didn't move, and I didn't make a sound. Suddenly, I saw a little mouse run across the floor. After a sigh of relief, and a nervous chuckle ovre how silly I had behaved with these wild imaginings, I began to scold myself for being so stupid and superstitious about it all. I caught the mouse, and released him outside. Then I resolved not to fall for this kind of thing ever again. And I never looked back.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In my next Episode #8, I want to share with you what it was like to live in a religiously divided home, and alss what was going on in my life as a Mormon. I promise you, it will be a real humdinger, with many twists and turns and ups and downs.

Rod P.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I've only made it through half of the posts... it is interesting, I'll check back for more later. I have chores to do!!!

• Rod P
    Rod P

I have decided to discontinue my story on this thread. Have discovered that threads die as new ones come on stream, and this one has been left in the dust.

Somewhere along the line I will continue with a more recent thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit