Why don't JW's Fast ????

by Why Georgia 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

There are references in the Bible to Jesus fasting and prayfully meditating.

So my question then is why don't Jehovahs Witnesses as an organization ask their members to fast?

Why don't you ever hear about fasting at the KH?

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Same with sacrificing animals, the tithe, etc, Jesus' death took the place of the requirents of Mosaic Law.

That's the explanation I got, anyway.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Well, I would think that when someone decides to make up their own religion, they have to start by pickin & choosin which rules they'd like to follow. As we have seen the evidence of how the WT comes up with its rules, (i.e. who ever is in charge at the time) I predict that fasting might soon come to be a regulation.

With obesity gaining solid ground on tobacco as the nation's #1 preventable death, they might be forced to hold onto the dwindling middlecla$$ membership and force-fast the flock. This would of course be bible based as new light would've shone on those pages that had previously been stuck together. ...."Hey look - there's another rule we missed!!"

They could also request the money that would've been spent on groceries for that time period to help cut down a few more trees. (to build more real estate)

wp

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's another one. Why don't the elders ceremonially wash the feet of the congregation? My JW hubby boasts that they only celebrate the ritual instituted by Jesus, the Memorial (unlike the tripping frippery of Christendom's Churches). So I ask him. "Where's the foot-washing?"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Because they would too darn hungry! What do you they think they are, as sincere as a Muslim?

Can you imagine, no stopping off at Macdonalds after a hard hour in the service ! No trips to the pizza restaurant after a Thursday meeting

No way, Ho sea

• Mutz
    Mutz

They don't need to fast because they do other biblical things like counting how many hours they do in the service and how many books and magazines they can sell. It all balances out........... :p

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

The official line is that there is no reason why an individual may not choose to fast. Personally, I don't see this as a big issue myself.

Watchtower 1996 - 11/15

Decision-making by bodies of elders in the early Christian congregation was sometimes accompanied by fasting. Today, congregation elders faced with difficult decisions, perhaps in connection with a judicial case, may abstain from food while considering the matter.

Choosing to fast in certain circumstances is an individual decision. One person should not judge another on this matter. We should not want to "appear righteous to men"; nor should we make food so important that it interferes with our caring for serious obligations. (Matthew 23:28; Luke 12:22, 23) And the Bible shows that God neither requires that we fast nor prohibits us from fasting.

Eyeslice

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I like to eat too much. But I knew a Witness family that fasted on a regular basis. Sometimes they would do a complete fast and at other times they would do what they called an "apple fast," where they just ate apples for a day or two. They were odd, but the dad was an elder and the mom and daughters were pioneers. They moved to our cong to serve where the need was great.

Now he is no longer an elder and they have divorced. And they are in trouuble for not paying their taxes. Apparently even self contractors have to pay taxes.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

MAYBE BECAUSE THEY ARE 'HALF-FAST'!

OUTASERVICE

• FairMind
    FairMind

Fasting is not a scriptural reqirement for Christians and the WTS has the correct viewpoint IMHO. I have know individual JWs who choose to fast for personal reasons.

FM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit