How would YOU interpret these lyrics? Care to try?

by Yadirf 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Are you one that really listens to the words of the songs you hear?

Please pull up the URL, and give me your ideas as to the meaning of the lyrics that you will find there. Also, you can listen to a portion of the song.

http://4heavens.homestead.com/6.html

Friday

• somebody
    somebody

Hi Friday,

I see the lyrics as explaining that men have been "searching" for the answers to life. Searching for answers to lifes mystery and confusion. All the confusion and mystery has always existed (Long as I remember, The rain been comin' down), even though men have always searched for the answers, all the confusion and mystery still exists (Good men through the ages, Tryin' to find the sun). Gathering in numbers to try to find the answers didn't help either, even with all the plans that looked so good. ( Still the rain kept pourin').

John Fogarty could have been writing that song because of the Vietnam War too. That song was released in 1970. He could have wrote it about woodstock, during the war . If that was the case, then "who'll stop the rain" would mean, "who'll stop the fighting and killing?" I seem to think that that IS why he wrote it. Because of watching the war happening.

peace,
    somebody (a CCR fan)

edited for afterthoughts:

Really, there is no security in regards to life, whether one has God or not. And I noticed that your e-mail is blocked here, but it's available on your page. Just thought you might want to know, in case you didn't think about that when you gave the link to your page.

• willy_think
    willy_think
    Long as I remember, The rain been comin' down.
    Clouds of mystery pourin', Confusion on the ground.
    Good men through the ages, Tryin' to find the sun.
    And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain?

I went down Virginia, Seekin' shelter from the storm.
    Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
    Five-year plans and new deals, Wrapped in golden chains.

Heard the singers playin', How we cheered for more.
    The crowd had rushed together, A-tryin' to keep warm.
    Still the rain kept pourin', Fallin' on my ears.

not about a union. lol

"all along the watchtower" by hendrix comes to mind

• crossroads
    crossroads

What is "MONA LISA" smiling about? " The answer my
    friend is blowing in the wind the answer is blowing in
    the wind". Dylan was afraid that "A Hard Rain was gonna
    fall" he wrote that song during the Cuban missile crisis.
    As for Fogerty you need to ask him looks like all three
    verses are unrelated unless he's talking about rain being
    the media. Man has always had propaganda shoved down
    it's throat. A few men in each generation since the beginning
    have tried to sift through the rain few have found the sun.
    Sad to say the poets and song writers artists and
    revalotionaries of what should and could have been the
    greatest generation are now holding umbrellas.

• Caole
    Caole

Good call Somebody

http://www.bergen.com/yourtime/protest30200004308.htm

Singer-songwriter John Fogerty's "Who'll Stop the Rain" was a tired, hopeless allegory about the seemingly endless war...
  • HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

While we are on the topic of lyrics!

Song by: Jethro Tull
    "Just Trying To Be"

There was a time when you were so young and walked in their way. They made you feel they loved you all-seeing they say. You're going wrong if their game you don't play And that the song I sing will leave you astray. Unfeeling, feel lonely rejection, unknowing, know you're going wrong. And they can't see that we're just trying to be, and not what we seem, and even now believe that it's not real and only a dream.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Excellant song, good application. HCM

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Thanks all, that have participated so far.

To Somebody (Chag):

Thanks for the reminder about the email, but I had already taken that into consideration. This is MY computer and email address NOW, since I bought my wife a gift that was in the form of a new laptop. Besides, I have already goofed up and somehow had given away the email
    address. Man do I ever make use of the delete button over in my email section. Talkin' about some filth that you can get unsolicited. I will be changin' my address probably.

Thanks for your thoughts regarding how the lyrics struck you. Interesting! I can't remember if you have the URL to my home page. If not here it is:

http://4heavens.homestead.com/4Heavens.html

I didn't get as far with it as originally anticipated, and you can tell by there being so many different buttons that are non-clickable. I will probably be letting it all go by the wayside as Homestead decided to begin charging for having a site with them.

So yer a CCR fan. Cool! Most cool! I could listen to "Green River" all day long and still NOT have a belly full of it. Been wanting to see if I could come anywhere near close to duplicating it on my guitar. I have an electric solid body, and the tabulature for GR. If I could get COMF to accompany me with his drums, I might give it a try. ;-)

Friday

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Caole

Thanks for that URL.

Friday

• sf
    sf

Ever dwelled on RUSH's lyrics? Very intoxicating for my mind and soothing to my soul. A great deal of TRUTH is revealed within them.
    Take a real good listen to "Subdivisions" and "Free Will" and "Spirit of Radio". ~slight sigh~

Music is my mentor!!

sKally, "VERY APOSTATE" klass

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

willy_think

Looks like you were right, actually ... insofar as what was on Fogerty's mind. Still rhymes with my deductions, though, I think.

The rock band most often associated with Vietnam is Creedence Clearwater Revival. Singer-songwriter John Fogerty's "Who'll Stop the Rain" was a tired, hopeless allegory about the seemingly endless war,.... -- http://www.bergen.com/yourtime/protest30200004308.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit