Have you noticed an oddity at indoor conventions?

by truth_about_the_truth 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Every time I've attended a DC in an indoor arena, I 've noticed a U.S. flag hanging on the rafters or somewhere prominently displayed. Of course it is a permanent fixture of the arena. Anyways, since national flags are symbols of idolatry. Is it proper to have an idol hanging in a place that is being used for 'pure' worship? Can you imagine having a statue of Baal in the convention site?

What's amazing about this is that no one really notices.

Has anyone noticed that no one notices this too?

Notice: Overuse of the word "notice" has been noted.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Has anyone noticed that no one notices this too?

No...Never noticed...But I imagine the s@it would hit the fan if they ever decided to take the flag down.

Especially if it got leaked to the press

Welcome to the board.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Yes, I have noticed the flag there, but I don't think there is anything they can do about it.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

Another slap in the face for the WT. Yay!

laters

kaykay_mp

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Yeah, especially after 9-11 with all the patriotism going on.

i guess they're damned if they do and damned if they dont. They choose to keep the hanging idol and hope no one notices the inconsistency and compromise. It's working so far.

• undercover
    undercover

I found it interesting that they never asked to take down the flag at convention sites but at the funeral home in my area that most of the JWs use for family night or visitation and for larger funerals that the KH can't handle, they ask the funeral home director to take down the huge cross that hangs on the wall behind the speaker's podium.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    Yeah, especially after 9-11 with all the patriotism going on.

It would drive the dubs freekin' crazy if the stadium had all these flags hanging from the rafters and patriotic-colored streamers everywhere. I'd love to see the looks on their faces if that happened. That would definitely be a time when there would be absolutely nothing they could do about it.

laters

kaykay_mp

• Purza
    Purza

The flag has been in the Cow Palace (in SF) for years. It is huge and I always noticed it. It would take an acrobat (or an act of god) to bring it down. There is probably something in the contract that does not allow them to remove it. JMHO

Purza

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The WTS knows that the news media would jump all over it...

"Jehovah's Witnesses Remove All Flags From Convention Building".

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

If I remember correctly from my elder days and being on various committees such as "building" committee.........it is a federal law that all public building have a U.S. flag in them........INCLUDING ALL KINGDOM HALLS. And KH's are considered public buildings. The flag does not....however....have to be visible!

So as long as there is a flag somewhere in the building........the JW's are not breaking the law. I could be wrong, but I think public buildings are also to have the state flag too!

If anyone has the latest info on this, please correct me if I'm wrong. (yoo hoo.......Blondie!)

But I wonder if someone from the govt. would actually check up on the KH's.....how many KH's actually have a flag somewhere?

HappyDad Flag 2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit