The Apprentice - High School vs. College Graduates

by carefully faded 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

d'oh, i missed the first show... anyway i think in technical or specialized fields, applied knowledge wins over street smarts...

• carefully faded
    carefully faded
    It shouldn't be. While I completely understand your frustration at our being discouraged from getting a university/college degree, you should be proud of what you've accomplished! I've been working since I was 16 years old, so when it comes to knowing how to get things, done, I probably know more than someone with a degree. A degree is certainly useful in many jobs, but not every job. It can make you book smart, but sometimes that doesn't mean squat. For example, I see students with a BA in Economics who can give you a very complex reading of the entire economic structure of the country, but they don't know what 9 x 7 is without a calculator.

Mary: Thanks! I am proud of what I've accomplished . And I agree with you - you and I probably know more than a lot of people with degrees - because experience is an education in itself. You're right too about degrees and book smarts - I've met several people who are educated and have a lot of knowledge - but come up short in the common sense department. However, at the end of the day, it is still pretty intimidating when all of your business partners start talking about their educations, degrees and schools and then they ask you about yours . . .just a constant reminder of how I let an organization have such a strong control of me and my major life decisions.

I especially like the part in the beginning where the High School grads toasted their glasses and said... "We're already winners, because we got nothing to lose".... they just seemed so much "together" than the other group....the kind of strangers you could sit down with, have a drink, and feel totally relaxed with.

Double Edge: I know. That statement was classic!

As I've been reading this, I just think yup, yup, yup... as has been said before, 'thanks WTS'. Had to get my degree after leaving the org so that I could pursue better positions. It took me 6 years and 23k while raising a family and working a full time job.

Jeanniebeanz: That's great that you got your degree. I can't imagine finding the time and energy to go to school now - and I don't even have any children. That's a huge accomplishment!

Nothing beats experience and intelligence for most jobs. Still, I think the right kind of college education gives knowledge and balance that will take one a little higher up the skill level. I guess it also depends on the profession you?re in. I wouldn?t want a ?HS only grad? performing heart surgery on me.

Fairmind: Very well said - I totally agree with you.

- CF

• heathen
    heathen

Genious is after all ,1% inspiration and 99% perspiration .The one guy playing his guitar attracted more attention than what the college kids could devise , it was clever but the season just started so I expect the college kids to put more thought into their marketing campaign this week , they also went wrong by not training enough people to run the cash registers . College kids do tend to lead sheltered lives and often takes them time to cope with the real world as they come out of college thinking that a degree is all they need to find success .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit