Bigger Than A Jumbo.

by Englishman 25 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

"They never competed with Concorde" .........LOL. As much as it pains me to say (I loved Concorde) maybe Boeing were right to never compete.......look what happened to Concorde!!!

• franklin J
    franklin J

the unveiling of this new aircraft looks incredible. It looks like a return to the era of "gracious" travel. I wonder what its flight is like

• Simon
    Simon

It does make me laugh when they show the mockups with shops, bars and super-sized luxury cabins on board. The rality is that it will be jam-packed with holiday makers 2 rows deep !

I can see it having a place and being successful but personally I subscribe more to Boeing's view - I would prefer to fly from a local / regional airport straight to wherever I wanted to go rather than that going between major hubs.

eg. It's much nicer to fly direct from Manchester to Calgary (a 8-9 hour flight) rather than fly Manchester to Heathrow (the armpit of the earth) and then to Calgary which becomes about 14 hours or even more).

Now, if only the EU could get together and cooperate on making cars we could then divide the world up between us and China

• Jez
    Jez

I watched a program on tv, John Travolta hosted it, about the building of this airplane. It was absolutely fascinating, a real feat to bring all the pieces together. Floating them down rivers and all sorts.

The news this morning said that they had to sell 250 just to break even.

I can't fathom how they get something this size in the air!

Jez

• ballistic
    ballistic

On the other hand, when there are direct flights from Manchester, they are cheaper. Last year I drove all the way to Manchester to get a flight to the Caribean.

• Simon
    Simon
    I can't fathom how they get something this size in the air!

The engines have the same diameter as the Airbus 330 that sits 6 across !

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Simon Says eg. It's much nicer to fly direct from Manchester to Calgary (a 8-9 hour flight) rather than fly Manchester to Heathrow (the armpit of the earth) and then to Calgary which becomes about 14 hours or even more).

No doubt about that Simon - totally agree

• IronGland
    IronGland

That's double the carnage of a 747 when one finally crashes.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Lots of people don't know that John Travolta is a commercial pilot!

They have to sell 200 to break even

They have orders for 149 already!

There are a few drawbacks with this plane though... Most airlines in the us have a hard time filling seats on a 747 how the heck are they going to fill the seats on this monster! Runways will have to be extended and widened as well as concrete reinforced to take the weight! Interesting that the western world isn't buying them yet all orders so far are from asian countries! Price is $280 MILLION yikes! I'll take 2! Imagine the horror if one crashes! Or even worse if two hit each other on the runway! A 9/11 scenario is just to horrible to imagine! Of course on 9/11 the hijackers didn't try to get the biggest most crowded planes either so who knows...

I sure would have loved to fly one of these big bitches tho'

• simplesally
    simplesally

I'm with Simon..........smaller planes to direct airports instead of hubs. I can't stand that it takes 17 hours to get to the Caribbean with all the flight changes and waiting around ....... (oh yes, I am including driving time of 20 minutes to the airport and then waiting at the damn airport for an hour for the flight to take off........)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit