Can someone take me through what it means to start/do a "study"?

by wordlywife 15 Replies latest jw friends

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

When I attended with my husband, (I am not JW, he is over 20 yrs.) I was asked many times who I was studying with, are you studying, etc. I didn't know what they meant, husband never pressures me with this kind of questioning. Can someone tell me what would have happened if I did "start studying"? Is there a pattern of publications you are expected to read? Do they test you after each one to make sure you've ingrained it all before going to the next one? What would have happened if I had started to "study"? How often (once a week?), how long (months, years?). What is the process?

Why do I feel weird one one of the congregation members calls and asks how I am doing? I always feel like they have a hidden agenda, like converting me, which would be a lost cause mind you.

Thanks all for any comments.....

WW

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Cynical here wordlywife - but having a study means the JW chalks up one hour on their timesheet while eating all your biscuits.

• heart2heart
    heart2heart
    Is there a pattern of publications you are expected to read?

You would study a brochure called "What Does God Require of Us?" or a book called "The Knowledge that leads to everlasting life", or both.

Do they test you after each one to make sure you've ingrained it all before going to the next one?How often (once a week?), how long (months, years?). What is the process?

The book/brochure is set up in a question/answer format. There is no test afterwards to see if you know it all, unless you want to be baptised, in which case you will have to answer a ton of questions on basic doctrine (which you have already said is not going to happen). They like to spend an hour a week on the study, but depending on how often you want to do it, it could be more or less. Basically, you read one chapter at a time - read one paragraph, answer corresponding question. It is very straightforward because you are supposed to answer from the material.

Why do I feel weird one one of the congregation members calls and asks how I am doing? I always feel like they have a hidden agenda, like converting me, which would be a lost cause mind you.

You are probably right - they are always looking to convert someone, and an "unbelieving wife" would be even better! (sarcasm). The whole point of a study is to convert you, it is supposed to lead to baptism, it is not just a method of learning more about their beliefs. If you are not interesting in converting, don't study with them! If you study and decide to stop/not get baptised/whatever, the congregation may view you and your husband differently, and there could be more pressure on him to try to convert you. While it is nice if someone from the congregation is just calling to say hello and is genuinely interested in you, there sometimes are alterior motives for being so friendly.. They may just be hoping that you will see "how nice and loving the congregation is" so you will want to be a part of it. Studying is serious business, don't do it unless you plan on being active as a Witness.

Heart2Heart

• Dustin
    Dustin

They always have hidden agendas. The study would have gone differently depending on who conducted it. I don't know what book they're using now, because it's been awhile since I've gone. The one thing I can tell you is usually they look for you to be attending all meetings and stuff like that in about 6 to 9 months. Do yourself a favor, and stay away from them. I'd be a little creeped out if they kept calling me too. Is it males or females calling you?

Dustin

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

One of my then soon to be SIL started a study with me. She was a pioneer, and we usually covered a chapter a week of the Live Forever book. They would usually run for an hour, or two (depending if I had actually studied, and how many hours she need to pad).

I remember one study, I had a problem with the concept being presented ie the Whole Wide World being destroyed. I musta pissed her off, because when she left, I had discovered she had tinkled all over my freshly cloroxed toilet, and bathroom floor.

One of my very last studies was with another pioneer, and she had given me an ultimatim be ready or else this is it. So, I actually studdied and was ready for her. That was a night my husband was out of town, and my daughter needed dinner, no food in house, there I was scrounging up something for her, and I get a call from one of the SIL. She was stuck somewhere with a flat tire, and needed a ride (her hubby was out playing ball with the bros.). I tried to explain my situation, but she got all mad. A few moments later, I got an angry call from MIL, berating me on not helping my SIL. Wish I'da asked her why she could not get her, or fix dinner for my kid.

Yes, they do have an agenda, if you are a woman and not a JW spouse. They will use the opportunity to get inside your home, see how you operate, and create crises or messes for you to deal with.

• franklin J
    franklin J

well, wordlywife,

If your husband has been a JW for 20 years, he must not be all that dedicated to the faith--or they would not have allowed him to marry you ( due to your non JW status); an outsider. They do not tolerate or allow marriages outside the faith.

Yes, they do have a hidden agenda, and that is to report hours of preachiing and numbers of Bible studies.

Once you start to study; you will be expected to comply to Watchtower requirements for their followers. You will be required to give up friendships and family members who ARE NOT JWs; and be expected to go out in the preaching work. Despite any feigning of friendship or concern for you; their primary objective is to start a bible strudy with you and and convert you.

More ciritical and of concern is that they will expect you to give up any vestiges of making your own decisions or thinking for yourself. The Watchtower will do your thinking for you and tell you what to do in all matters; including your marriage; your children and their future. It is not a religion for people who can think for themselves.

It is that simple.

• franklin J
    franklin J

well, wordlywife,

If your husband has been a JW for 20 years, he must not be all that dedicated to the faith--or they would not have allowed him to marry you ( due to your non JW status); an outsider. They do not tolerate or allow marriages outside the faith.

Yes, they do have a hidden agenda, and that is to report hours of preachiing and numbers of Bible studies.

Once you start to study; you will be expected to comply to Watchtower requirements for their followers. You will be required to give up friendships and family members who ARE NOT JWs; and be expected to go out in the preaching work. Despite any feigning of friendship or concern for you; their primary objective is to start a bible strudy with you and convert you.

More ciritical and of concern is that they will expect you to give up any vestiges of making your own decisions or thinking for yourself. The Watchtower will do your thinking for you and tell you what to do in all matters; including your marriage; your children and their future. It is not a religion for people who can think for themselves.

It is that simple.

• franklin J
    franklin J

well, wordlywife,

Once you start to study; you will be expected to comply to Watchtower requirements for their followers. You will be required to give up friendships and family members who ARE NOT JWs; and be expected to go out in the preaching work. Despite any feigning of friendship or concern for you; their primary objective is to start a bible strudy with you and convert you.

It is that simple.

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

My husband was DF'd when we met and got married, and has been re-instated. I do not plan on ever doing "a study" or whatever, but was curious what it was and why, etc.

It is women that call to see how I am doing (I'm with child). They usually call when I'm not home (coincidence?).

What bothers me is that why would they call me or be concerned for me, as I am wordly? Is ot only because theyhave a hope that one day.............I will become JW (again, that's not ever going ot happen).

An elder's wife shows particular interest in me, and I hate to sound suspicious, she seems very genuine, but after listening to many talks about avoiding worldly associations, why would she ever show a personal interest in me?

WW

• blondie
    blondie

Once you study have and have absorbed some of the WTS doctrine, in their eyes, you will be come more responsible before God if you don't become a JW. Then they are no longer held accountable for you and they are off to the next person.

You will find that you will not be studying the Bible but a Watchtower publication with a few isolated scriptures here and there. If you ask questions not in the material, you will be told 1) that will be covered later in the book or 2) we'll discuss that later when you are more able to understand it.

Quite a few JWs don't like to be tied down to studying the Bible with someone; it gets in the way of their entertainment and is too much work. The ones that will do it are seeing it as an easy way to get time in to report on their monthly slip. It is more enjoyable to talking with someone that is wanting to learn something about the Bible rather than hours spent calling on people who aren't home or have no interest in JWs. There is a certain status too in conducting a study.

My advice is don't go there. If you have a question about JWs, let me know or someone here. I can answer it with their own publications.

The question I always found hard to answer the WT way was "Will only JWs survive the great tribulation?" The honest answer is yes per WTS dogma. I always answered, "God would never destroy anyone who truly loved him." I guess that's why I don't go to the KH any more. I can't lie for them any more.

Love, Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit