The Mother In Law Visit

by Why Georgia 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I have written here before about my mother in law causing problems in my marriage and how she has not been nice to me or my two beautiful children.

So my husband, who is the most kind and forgiving man on the planet wants to give his mother another chance. He tells me she is not going to be around much longer, at the most we only have 10-15 more years before she dies. ( I thought he was trying to make me happy when he said that and accidentally smiled....which made him peeved). Then he goes on to say that he has talked with her and she is sorry about how she has treated me and the children and she would like to come for a visit.

This is after he and I had a very long and heartfelt talk and had decided she was basically disfellowshipped from our lives because of her constant B.S. and cruelty.

This was on Friday. So I start feeling ill and very reluctant about this visit. I tell him I really don't want her over but if she comes over that I don't want to be here because I can't stand her and I don't forgive her behavior. He says okay. Then my mother gets involved and says " You absolutely CAN NOT EVER leave my grandchildren alone with THAT CRAZY WOMAN - not even if husband is there because he just gets all tongue tied around her and doesn't react until later when she does and says crazy things!!" Then my mother goes on and on about don't I want to be there to make sure she doesn't try to give any WTS propaganda to my husband and children, then she recounts what happened the last time we saw her and I feel more ill realizing I cannot leave the house and have to be there for the visit. Ugggh!!!!

So she calls on Sunday within about 1/2 hour after the end of the meeting and asks to come over. She arrives acting as if nothing is wrong bringing gifts for my children and a box of chocolate. The gifts of clothing she brought my children were wrongly sized. 2 years too small for my oldest child and almost about to be too small for our baby. I'm a little confused by this because I would think that after she has had 6 children and a truck load of grandchildren she would know the sizes of clothing...but I digress. It's the thought that counts I guess but this has been what she has always done with my kids - the gifts are never right for my kids but always perfect for the other grandkids!

We are trying to be polite and good hosts and ask her if she would like something to drink. Immediately she says well I just came from the meeting and we aren't supposed to drink alcohol. My husband says to her I was talking about Orange Juice, Water, Soda, Coffee. He and I exchange the I told you so look. I'm thinking WTF - we barely drink alcohol and why would I offer any to her - I will be needing it for after she leaves!!! And I'm getting peaved at how at any opportunity she must toss in WTS BS!!!

While she is here husband and I keep a watchful eye and ear on the situation. She is playing with our oldest child and holds the baby from time to time. She is trying very hard to talk to me and be friendly. I on the other hand am going about my business because I don't want to be friendly but I will be polite. I'm doing laundry and making bread.

Our oldest child is talking to her about his birthday party which is coming up in a few days and I can see her getting irritated and wanting to say something....but I give her my patented don't say a word look. Our son continues to show her what Santa brought him for Christmas and I can see she is visibly anxious but not saying anything.

Well it comes time for her to leave after a mercilessly long 2 hour visit. She hugs everyone and asks if she can hug me and I shake my head and she hugs me anyways. I don't want to be near her because you must understand this woman is a big fake and has done nothing but be cruel and cause problems for me for the last 7 years!

So she goes to leave and hubby and I have it already understood that either he or I will talk to her about that we don't want WTS things discussed in or around our children. No books, no info from the meetings. I see that he is not going to say anything so I tell her I will walk her out.

I start it out with thanking her for visiting the children and that I hope she will continue to do so in the future as long as its on a consistent basis. She says she will do her best.

Then I tell her that husband and I would prefer that she not discuss the WTS in our home or with our children and that she is not to offer literature or the Societies opinon. She starts getting very flustered and says well this is what I believe and what MY husband believes.

I laugh.

I say. Surely you must know that husband does not believe this. We celebrate Christmas, Birthdays, Valentines day. He does not go to meetings anymore. I do not believe anything the WTS teaches and I don't want it around our family.

If you would like to find out why I do not believe what the WTS teaches I will gladly sit down with you and discuss my reasons.

She goes on with she knows that my husband still believes and that she can talk to him about the WTS and give him books if she wants. I tell her that is not the case and that if she does that she will not be a part of our life that husband and I have agreed on this point but she can ask him if she wants.

She is really getting mad and says she is no longer going to discuss this with me. She continues to insist that my husband still is a JW.

I again calmly state that no he is not one he does not go to meetings any longer and that he doesn't believe everything the WTS teaches and has a lot of questions about them. I tell her that I have shown him how the society is a false prophet and how they flip flop and he is very confused by this.

She says to me I am not going to talk to you about this and I am leaving. I say fine but I want you to understand this subject will not be brought up in our house around our children. Do you understand?

I then also say that if she tries to cause trouble for my husband with a shepherding call or by reporting him to the elders that she will not be a happy person.

I again tell her I'd like you to be a part of the childrens lives but its only if you can abide by our wishes.

So mother in law drives off in a huff and I go into the house and husband is laughing about me walking his mom out. He said what did you tell her and I told him what we discussed and he said How did she take it...and I say well how do you think. He laughed and that was pretty much the visit.

I told him, I don't think she will be coming back and he thinks she will. We'll see..

I'm just so glad its over.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Sounds like an interesting visit. Good for you for standing your ground WG!

It's funny how JW's always say, "So-and-so KNOWS it's the truth!" Um, hello! Does the fact that we're here rejecting every single direction from the WTS suggest that maybe we don't?

Kwin

• Balsam
    Balsam

Hi Why Georgia,

I loved your account of your JW mother-in-law visit. Whew she sounds very anal. Sorry you have to be your husbands spokesperson. That is tough but you are strong and don't mind being the stand up person you are. Your husband is a woosie though not standing up to her himself. I suppose he if trying to avoid disfellowshipping. How long has he come to understand the WTS is a false religion? Perhaps this is new to him. Hope he learns to stand up for himself with his JW family, and stop them from trying to corner him.

You are one tough Mom, good for you standing up for none of that WTS garbage in your house. Protect your kids (and hubby) if need be from that brainwashing they do.

Balsam

• blondie
    blondie
    Then he goes on to say that he has talked with her and she is sorry about how she has treated me and the children and she would like to come for a visit.

Clue #1: Did she apologize directly to you with your husband present?

She goes on with she knows that my husband still believes and that she can talk to him about the WTS and give him books if she wants.

Clue #2: I would check with your husband and see why she is so adamant about beleiving this. Perhaps he hasn't made it clear enough to her. Maybe you and your husband could both sit down with her and your husband have a brief discussion with her so she doesn't try to divide you. Of course, she could say your husband is just saying that to create trouble..

BTW, the WT this weekend did not forbid drinking alcohol to JWs. The Bible is too clear on that fact, especially where Paul recommends wine to Timothy for his stomach. Just to drink in moderation and not before meetings, field service, shepherding calls, assemblies, conventions...all things you no longer participate in.

Love, Blondie

• Mary
    Mary
    Our oldest child is talking to her about his birthday party which is coming up in a few days and I can see her getting irritated and wanting to say something....but I give her my patented don't say a word look. Our son continues to show her what Santa brought him for Christmas and I can see she is visibly anxious but not saying anything.

ROFLMFAO!! There's nothing better than to see a bitchy, know-it-all-Mother-In-Law-Who's-A-Zealous-Witness, have to bite her tongue. My paternal grandmother was a miserable bitch who made my mother's life a living hell. Your mother in law sounds like a carbon copy of her. I'm glad you told the old bag off. I can tell from what you posted that she's a domineering woman and doesn't like it that she can't control the lives of her son or grandchildren.

Way to go!!

• Miss_MG
    Miss_MG

Why Georgia, Your mother in law truly feels in her heart if she doesent do or say something you are going to all die at Armageddon, be firm but patient with her ,if she will let you explain the reasons why you no longer go to meetings if she wont the next time she visits let some little thing slip accidently (on purpose) about the organization she might be interested in ,she may shrug it off but you have planted the seed .G OOD LUCK

• Bryan
    Bryan

Very funny. I too, though, wished your husband could have accompanied you out to speak to MIL. She would have gotten the message much better. Odd to me that even though hubby does not attend meetings, and child discusses birthay/Christams, that MIL still says he believes. Is she in like super dinial or what?

Congrats on protecting your family!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Isn't it funny that parents of non-believing children most always will say "they do KNOW it's the truth" and keep thinking that their kids believe it and KNOW it, just that they don't do it.

I'm proud of you... sounds like my mom. I never can understand how they can twist their minds around the lack of love towards family, but I guess thats why I rejected it and they haven't.

For the records, my mom always gives ill-fitting or very "not my style" clothing presents too. She tends to give me a couple Goodwill dresses that come to my ankles every couple of years just in case I need something to wear to a meeting. LOL.

• Lauren In The World
    Lauren In The World

How's it going, you guys.

I'm new here- but I have been dating a disfellowshippeder for aout 3.5 years now. So I am familiar with this dynamic. He's a wonderful man.

Okay- So this story really scares me for two reasons-

1- It sounds like Georgia, here, is having trouble finding a GOAL for an outcome of this situation. I think you should get clear on what you DO want instead of what you know you DON'T want....

2- I shudder to think that my future will be like this with my mother-in-law, in my case, it will most likely be the father-in-law.

Georgia- I don't want to put words in your mouth, so if I were you, I would want to create a loving environment with your mother in law. You can't change HER mind, but you can change YOUR attitude towards her. She wants to love her grandchildren - she's just having trouble showing her love to them in a way that YOU approve of. Whether or not it is because she is stubborn- that's her deal. Why don't you stop threatening her? That only causes her to get defensive. Saying something like "I want you to have a strong and loving relationship with MY children, but that just can't happen if you are not respectful of my child reering decisions. You really need to work on your relationship with her first- then your kids will come. It has to be hard on you to be going through this because it is stressful. It's not going to get any better until you own your power and create this love with her. Maybe create a compromise- what would make you BOTH happy?. Make a list of words that you don't want her to say around your kids- like 5- if she can't agree to them, ask her why. Talk with her.

OH- also- sounds like your husband is having trouble standing up to his mom- INFRONT OF YOU. Sounds to me like he's telling her one thing when youre not around, and telling you another.

-Lauren

• Valis
    Valis
    Why don't you stop threatening her? That only causes her to get defensive.

First, informing them there will be no JW stuff in the kid's lives is NOT threatening anyone. It is a necessity because they won't let up and act like normal people who did respect your descisions as the parent. Been there and done that!

It sounds like Georgia, here, is having trouble finding a GOAL for an outcome of this situation.

The goal IMO is to have them act like real family instead of some dysfunctional know it all religious zealots. For the first time in a LONG time my family was over the day after Christmas. We had food, watched football, had some beers and there was not one word spoken about JWland. My parents know better than to start in on me or my kids any more. it simply isn't wanted and most of all isn't tollerated in my house. In contrast to that they declined my invite last year because of my activities on the Internet and mailing out information on sexual abuse to all the congregations in my area. Eventually they come around, but you have to stand your ground sometimes. It isn't fun, but it is very very very important for one's own sanity as well as, for the lack of a better word, the spiritual well being of the children.

Just my 2 cents.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit