I am not a number

by Peppermint 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

In the proclaimers book it mentions that from 1944 no credits were given any longer to authors or composers of kingdom melodies.

Compare this though to examples in the bible. David is credited with many songs in the Psalms.

This is just a small example of how impersonal the organisation is.

I like to now were things originate from, and so hated the generic ?questions from readers? or M.B., Italy letter responses.

Also why not disclose who writes their books, we know who wrote Mathew, Mark, Luke and John etc.

• under74
    under74

....*trying to think*

I swear there was a thread about the song writers of the kingdom melodies around 2 or 3 months ago. There was a somewhat famous composer that turned JW mentioned in the thread.....but I can't remember any of the dates...

David wrote Psalms? I though he was illiterate... :)

Anyway, someone will come that has something worthwhile to add to this thread...and they'll have something smart to add...unlike somebody I know...me...

*holds head down in shame*

• prophecor
    prophecor

Not giving any attention to the writers of the songs probably lends to the Society's austere prescence, not wanting any attention being drawn to any individuals other than those un-approachable figures in high positions, also their wish to maintain a shroud of mystery and secrecy to their organization.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Hiding the writer's identity keeps it secret that the "Faithfully Deceitful Slave Class" isn't actually writing the BS in their books. Therefore the credit goes to the GB for the "fine spiritual(ly lacking) truths".

Kwin

• Undecided
    Undecided

After all the crap that the Paster and Judge put out that was all false in the beginning, I guess they don't want people to know who wrote the crap today that turns out false, it would be embarrassing.

Ken P.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

It would be particularly embarrassing to have to say, "This fine spiritual food brought to you by Ray Franz."

• blondie
    blondie

Erich Frost--Forward You Witnesses!

*** w88 3/15 p. 21 Forward, You Witnesses! !

"Firm and determined in this time of the end,/Prepared are God?s servants the good news to defend./Tho? Satan against them has vaunted,/In God?s strength they keep on undaunted."

These are the opening lines of song number 29 in the songbook of Jehovah?s Witnesses, Sing Praises to Jehovah. Your appreciation for this song might be deepened by learning that the melody was composed in a concentration camp in Nazi Germany. Recently, some 500 workers of the German Bethel family in Selters listened to a taped conversation with the song?s composer, Erich Frost,

Harold King--From House to House

*** yb75 pp. 208-209 United States of America (Part Three) ***

A fellow missionary, Harold King, spent nearly five years in a Red Chinese prison. He, too, had remained spiritually strong. Did you know that, while imprisoned, he even composed music based on Scriptural thoughts? Yes, the songbook used by Jehovah?s witnesses today?"Singing and Accompanying Yourselves with Music in Your Hearts"?contains a melody that Brother King originated in prison. It is song No. 10, entitled "From House to House." So, do not fear the future. Jehovah can uphold you as he did incarcerated Christian neutrals in the United States as well as many other integrity-keepers, including Brothers Jones and King, who had the hard experience of incarceration in a Communist Chinese prison.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Thanks for the info Blondie, I guess I can let them off a little bit.

Why are there big gaps in my original post? It was not submited that way.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I sit, not stand, severely corrected

• steve2
    steve2

I seem to remember an American prosecuting lawyer from the 1950s who was quoted as saying to the big-wig Witness on the stand something like: "The anonymity of your authors may well be to give glory to God; but isn't it also true that their anonymity lets them off the hook when they get it [the teaching] wrong?" Ouch.

This quote is from my memory. However, does anyone remember the trial and the lawyer who uttered these witheringly hard hitting words?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit