Iraq, Coincidental?

by Golf 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Golf
    Golf

This came to me by way of email.

Interesting, read all the way down. What do you think?

1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq.

2. Mesopotamia, which is now Iraq, was the cradle of civilization!

3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.

4. The Tower of babel was in Iraq.

5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq.

6. Isaac's wife Rebekah is from Nahor, which is in Iraq.

7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.

8. Jonah preached in Ninevah - which is in Iraq.

9. Assyria, which is Iraq, conquered the ten tribes of Israel

10. Amos cried out in Iraq.

11. Babylon, which is in Iraq, destroyed Jerusalem.

12. Daniel was in the lion's den in Iraq.

13. Three Hebrew children were in the fire in Iraq.

14. Belshazzar, the King of babylon saw the "writing on the wall" in Iraq.

15. Nebuch, King of babylon, carried the Hebrews captive into Iraq.

16. Ezekial preached in Iraq.

17. The wise men were from Iraq.

18. Peter preached from Iraq.

19. The 'Empire of man" described in Rev. is called babylon, which was a city
    in Iraq.

And you probably seen this one. Israel is the nation most often mentioned in the Bible. But do you know which nation is second? It is Iraq! However, that is not the name that is uded in the Bible. The names used in the Bible are Babylon, Land of Shinar, and Mesospotamia. The word Mesopotamia means between two rivers, more exactly between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. The name Iraq, means country with deep roots.

Indeed Iraq is a country with deep roots and is a very significant country in the Bible. No other Nation except Israel, has more history and prophecy associated it than Iraq. And also...This is something to think about! Since America is typically represented by an eagle. Saddam should have read up on his Muslim passages... The following verse is from the Koran, (the Islamic Bible)

Koran (9:11) For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a
    fearsome eagle. The wrath of the eagle would be felt
    throughout the lands of Allah and lo. while some of the
    people trembled in despair still more rejoiced; for the
    wrath of the eagle cleansed the lands of Allah and there
    was peace.

(Note the verse number!) Hmmmmmmmmmm. (Conclusion)

Did anyone get this in their email? They recommend that you send it to 13 people. Why 13?

Guest77

• gumby
    gumby
    while some of the
    people trembled in despair still more rejoiced; for the
    wrath of the eagle cleansed the lands of Allah and there
    was peace.

Peace? There is peace in Iraq?

Intresting e-mail Golf. The e-mail failed to recognise that Iraq was normally put in a bad light in the bible. The bible also said that nobody would inhabit Babylon again and her smoke of her destruction would desend forever....which proved to be untrue. Many prophecies concerning that land never happened.

Gumby

• Golf
    Golf

Gumby, mind you, since that area was the cradle of civilization you could write a book on the many things that originated from there.

I agree with you about peace, its not there. A couple of weeks ago on the Oprah Winfrey show she interviewed an Iraqi women, this women said, the news reports are not giving you the true story. She has less freedom and must stay home for safety.

I found what the Koran 9:11 had to say interesting. 911?

Guest77

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

uummm yep it's a coincidence! The reason that Iraq is mentioned so many times is that the israelites lived right there next to them and wrote the first half of the bible... How many times did it get a nod in the New test...? Nope the big baddie then was Rome so they get all the attention or even in the first few books of the bible? Nope the big baddie then was Egypt... Its all just a coinkeydink!

Send this to brownhole though he'll nut himself over it!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    Oprah Winfrey show she interviewed an Iraqi women, this women said, the news reports are not giving you the true story. She has less freedom and must stay home for safety.

Well if it was on the Oprah show it must be true right... She's almost as neutral as FOX news or Dan Rather...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Of course, most of those 19 points are myths. As such, i suppose they could still have an effect on fundys.

S

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

That part purportedly coming from Koran 9:11 is a lie.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~stwright/rel/islam/fearsome-eagle.html

• simplesally
    simplesally

Even though Iraq was an islam practicing nation, it was not considered an Islamic state. Saddam was a dictatory, it was not a theocracy. So, the women there were not mandated to wear burkhas or shadors. Women were allowed to work and go to school. Women held good jobs and there were even women in government. Saddam may have tortured his enemies, but for the most part, the average citizens were not all that bad off from my understanding.

I am not saying that you had freedom of speech but how often do people really get into that in everyday life??? I guess someone could want your job and then trump up charges against you......... very possible. So that could be scary in everyday life. Not sure what life was really like for the populous, but I wish I had seen the Oprah show.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Did Brownboy send that to you?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq.

This cannot be said. The geography of the biblical Eden story is maddingly obscure and likely is more mythological than corresponding to actual geography. There are good cases for placing Eden instead in Armenia, Syria, or even in Israel. Upper Mesopotamia is one possibility, but there are no mountains in Iraq and Ezekiel 28 places Eden on a mythological mountain. I personally think that Mount Hermon in Syria is the best candidate since this is where the Canaanites believed that the creator god El had his Edenic abode and where the two Deeps were joined, producing the great rivers of the world (cf. also Psalm 42:4-8 for this concept).

3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.

The Bible says nothing about where Noah lived before the Flood. Though the original Sumerian archetype of Noah (Ziusudra) was certainly Mesopotamian.

5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq.

Uncertain. There were two Urs, one in southern Mesopotamia, and one in nothern Mesopotamia, near Haran. Since Ur is mentioned in connection with Haran in Genesis, the northern Ur is at least plausible. If so, this Ur would be located in modern Syria.

6. Isaac's wife Rebekah is from Nahor, which is in Iraq.

No. It was in the land near Haran (Aram-Naharaim), so it was somewhere near the Turkey-Syria border, either in Syria or Turkey; the precise location is unknown.

7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.

Jacob lived with Laban in Haran. Haran is in Turkey! ::duh::

16. Ezekial preached in Iraq.

Ezekiel lived at Tel Abib on the river (or canal) Chebar but this may have been in Syria (especially if this is the Khabur river) or in northern Iraq. Whoever wrote this forgot that Mesopotamia was not just Iraq but also much of Syria.

17. The wise men were from Iraq.

Again speculative. The "east" is pretty general. How about Persia or Jordan?

18. Peter preached from Iraq.

Or Jerusalem or Rome. Especially Rome, which was frequently called "Babylon" because of its similar role in besieging Jerusalem and destroying the Temple, for being the seat of an empire alongside a river (see the Sibylline Oracles for clear examples)....

19. The 'Empire of man" described in Rev. is called babylon, which was a city in Iraq.

Ditto. Revelation almost certainly was referring to Rome, Jerusalem, or both...

Israel is the nation most often mentioned in the Bible.

Well, that ain't much of a surprise -- since this is where it was written!

But do you know which nation is second? It is Iraq!

Not so sure about this. Places in modern Syria, Jordan, and Egypt are mentioned quite a lot in the Bible.

The quote from the Quran is made up.

I give this person a D- in Geography and an F in literature (making up nonexistent quotes is automatic failure).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit