What was Judas' motive for betrayal?

by JustTickledPink 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TruthBringer
    TruthBringer

Very simply put, it needed to happen to fulfil prophecy. This was God's plan.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Were is the account in acts? I've browsed and can't find it! My Jw wife says that judas got money returned money then went off and hanged self... jews didn't want money as was blood money so they bought a field and buried criminals there... this tugs at my memory but I can't find scriptural reference! I read about judas and the silver in matt and mark and luke... Matt mentions the hanging but thats the only reference I could find... where's the deal in Acts?

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

JUDAS - BETRAYAL

SCRIPTURE -

Matthew 26:14-16, 25; 27:3-10. Mark 14:1-11. Luke 22:3-6. John 12:3-6; 13:2, 27-30. Acts 1:18,19.

BIOGRAPHY

Judas was one of the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ. He was the son of Simon (John 6:71) and was known as Judas Iscariot. Iscariot indicates that he was from Kerioth which was located in Moab (Jeremiah 48:24,41 Amos 2:2) or Kerioth Hezron (Joshua 15:25) which was situated 20 kilometres south of Hebron. Judas was the treasurer (John 13:29) and was also a thief (John 12:6). It was Judas who criticised Mary when she anointed the Lord with precious ointment (John 12 3-5). The ointment he saw as a source of income. His avarice eventually became so overpowering that he conspired with the religious leaders of the time to betray Jesus. He did not understand the whole implications of his action because when he saw what the authorities were doing to Jesus Christ, he felt sorry for his actions and eventually committed suicide (Acts 1:18,19).

EVALUATION

a) Judas always appeared last on the list of disciples (Mark 3:14-19).

b) He was described as a traitor (Luke 6:16) and betrayer (Matthew 10:4).

c) Judas was an unbeliever who did not address Jesus as Lord (Kurios) but Rabbi - Teacher (Matthew 26:25).

d) At Simon the leper's house, Mary came and anointed the feet of Jesus with ointment while they were eating (Mark 14:3).

e) The disciples, led by Judas, complained about the waste of money, estimating it at a year's salary (Mark 14:5).

f) After this Judas left to barter with the chief priests to betray Jesus (Mark 14:10,11; Zechariah 11:12; Exodus 21:32).

g) At the last supper, Jesus gave Judas his last chance to be saved when he offered the sop, a portion of food reserved for honoured guests (John 13:26).

h) Judas rejected Jesus and was then indwelt by Satan (John 13:27). He then went to betray Jesus.

i) Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss (Matthew 26:47-50).

j) When Judas saw that Jesus was to be condemned he felt sorry (Metamelomai, Gk.) for what he had done (Matthew 27:3) but did not repent (Metanoeo, Gk.) or change his mind about Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 7:10).

k) He went and hanged himself (Matthew 27:5) and his body fell into the Kidron Valley (Acts 1:18,19), at Alcadema - the field of blood (Zechariah 11:12,13).

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Thanks!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Actually that's the statements that our father always put in front of us, for him the one in this story who truly sacrified himself was Judas (in knowing that Jesus had to be betrayed anyway - to live again anyway)

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Judas' greed left him open for Satan to operate through him, imo.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

He saw things about God as a trade - effort and rewards - about what people 'deserve'.

He hung himself not because he betrayed, but because he became responsible for killing a man - in his belief/trade system/understanding of scripture, he had no hope - he had failed to 'earn' heaven.

He returned to his spiritual leaders, distraught and confused, but they had no help or understanding to give - they traded in their own ways and needed to maintain that for their own spiritual comfort zones. (they love salutations in the marketplaces)

Know any spiritual groups like that ? ......no one can buy or sell unless.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit