Why doesn't our musical taste change?

by Seeker 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• ladonna
    ladonna

Hi Seeker~Tigger,

You have now found someone who's taste in music has never changed.

Oh....I listen to other types of music....alternative....ect; only so I get a bigger charge from my greatest love and ONLY for mundane chores.....or I would be on the sofa listening to the music!!! Not Good!!!

But from a child....further back than I can remember, I was absolutely fascinated by classical music.
    Wagner gave me a charge....a boost; a feeling of being in an unearthly place.
    Verdi's Requiem sends thrills up my spine......I paint to it and the brush has a mind of its' own......my artwork HAS to be done to music.....classical only.
    The beautiful Rachmaninov Piano concerti 2 & 3..........from a child I got a thrill and inspiration from these; the beauty was already appreciated at such a young age....it was natural to me to listen to; second nature. Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, Tchaikowsky, Sarti, Ravel, Faure`, Berlioz, Bach, Handel..........I will not go on, but these were MY heroes....my teachers. Later came Puccini, Mozart (don't like him much now), Massenet, Donizetti and then Bellini, Wagner and Verdi....my favorites. Vocally I also love the works of Berlioz. EG..Nuit D'ete.

Later...at about 11, when my parents went out of the house I would put on Maria Callas singing from La Gioconda....and I would sing along; completely unaware of what I was actually doing.

This was forbidden for me to touch Mothers' recordings!!!

Then my mother decided I should have piano lessons. As a pianist herself she felt it should be someone other than herself that taught me. The pianist who taught me eventually asked me to sing upscale for him to test my ear for intonation. After I had done it.......he told my mother "it is not the piano that she needs training for, it is the voice".
    Although I did complete piano to year 5.
    I believe my taste never changed because genetically I was born to be a musician. My father was a Russian Concert pianist.....my Mother a Spanish pianist......so I was in fact a genetically engineered child way before time and without my parents realizing what they had created.

I hope that answers some of your questions....
    I believe another classical musician may be able to answer this in likewise terms. We know from a very early age. Like destiny.

Where is Farkel??????

Ana

Some Birds Were Not Meant To Be Caged
    edited for my terrible spelling

• Seeker
    Seeker

Hi Ana,

Thanks for answering. Unfortunately, you don't quite fit the pattern I was looking for. Yes, your tastes didn't change, but that is because you bonded with very sophisticated music already as a child. There is nothing for you to grow out of! It's as if your parents had you on fancy food and wine as a six-year-old and now you continue to love fancy food and wine. :)

I was thinking about those who love the Britney Spears of the world at age 12 and at age 25 are still bopping to such stuff.

• crossroads
    crossroads

Is not
    Lennon's Imagine
    Dylan's Blowin' in the Wind
    Tupac's Unconditional Love
    CLASSICAL MUSIC

• Seeker
    Seeker

Yes, crossroads, those are classic. But they also have more depth to them than the average song.

However, it's not quite the same thing I'm talking about. You can enjoy Imagine all your life, but it's the same song. I'm talking about liking the same type of songs indefinitely.

I think this is the wrong board to post this question -- too many intelligent, free thinkers here. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit