silly half-awake experiences

by missy04 25 Replies latest jw friends

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Hi Missy,

Great thread. Yes, I am a mess when it comes to sleep disorders.

I was a bed wetter until the age 14 . I sleep walk and talk in my sleep. I also have night terrors occasionally - I know they are more common with children, but I started having them in my early teens - and I still have them. Almost every time, I am dreaming that I am in bed but awake. I usually "wake up" and literally see hundreds/thousands of spiders, worms or other insects, all over my pillow, sheets or the floor around my bed. I jump up, scream sometimes, and depending where the insects are, move away quickly - then I start to wake up. I've woken up finding myself standing by my bedroom window, by the light switch, or even standing on my bed. Sometimes I wake up while I'm moving my pillows trying to find the insects that crawled down between them. It takes a few minutes, and then I realize I was dreaming - but the kicker is the setting of my dream is my bedroom - so it seems totally real. The dreams either involve insects, or strange people in my room - but I'm always in my bed, just waking up.

I've learned that when I have house guests, or when I stay at friends homes, I have to tell them about my little problem and warn them. One of my best friends spent the night over my house when I was living at home, and I had an incident - I woke up screaming and freaked her out. She didn't understand that I was totally asleep and she was having a total conversation with me . . . first she thought someone was breaking into the house, then when she realized nobody was there, she thought the demons had totally posessed me .

Only a couple of times, I have woken up with what I call temporary amnesia. Try to imagine waking up, and literally having no knowledge of who you are, who your friends/family are, where you live, what you do for a living, no point of reference - absolutely nothing is familiar. I've had this last for several minutes - that doesn't sound like a long time - but trust me, it seems like hours when you are going through this. My heart begins to race, I break out in a cold sweat - I am totally freaked out. Then, slowly my memory starts to come back.

When I lived at home, my Mom used to tell me that my incidents coincided with my "time of the month". I thought she was crazy at first - but she would talk with me the next morning and ask me if I was about to start my cycle, and I would say yes, and ask her why . . . and then she would tell me what crazy thing I did the night before. She was right constantly. Can anyone else validate this?

- CF (of the "now I'm scared to go to sleep tonight" class)

• missy04
    missy04
    I thought she was crazy at first - but she would talk with me the next morning and ask me if I was about to start my cycle, and I would say yes, and ask her why . . . and then she would tell me what crazy thing I did the night before. She was right constantly. Can anyone else validate this?

hmmm, I am not sure whether it affects my sleep (or sleep disorder if I have one) but I know it affects my mood!! I guess it does make sense that around that time when your mood is changed (usually for the worse lol) it would affect your sleep too...what you dream about and how you react to stuff in dreams. Makes sense to me!

~Sarah

• missy04
    missy04
    I've learned that when I have house guests, or when I stay at friends homes, I have to tell them about my little problem and warn them. One of my best friends spent the night over my house when I was living at home, and I had an incident - I woke up screaming and freaked her out. She didn't understand that I was totally asleep and she was having a total conversation with me . . . first she thought someone was breaking into the house, then when she realized nobody was there, she thought the demons had totally posessed me .

Yah I have found it to be a good idea to tell people all the weird stuff I do in my sleep, too.

First night I stayed at my good friend Jayme's house, (first time I had ever met her too, she lived with another friend of mine who had brought me home with her for the night) she woke up and I was sitting straight up in bed with my eyes open. The next morning she told me she had been throwing everything in arms reach at me to try to wake me up. I got stuffed animals, books, pillows ect. LOL thrown at me because this scared the CRAP out of her.

Yah I bet that did scare your friend! I'm sure it was terrifying for you too!! Was your friend a dub?

• carefully faded
    carefully faded
    Yah I bet that did scare your friend! I'm sure it was terrifying for you too!! Was your friend a dub?

Yep - totally scarry, and yes, she was a dub (but we're both out now). And to make matters worse, we had talked ourselves into watching a "demonized" Halloween movie that night - so she thought for sure the dubs were right - and we had invited Satan himself into our house.

- CF

• missy04
    missy04

I keep thinking of more stuff I've done in my sleep LOL

This summer in Wisconsin at the cabins we stay at on vacations, my mom and I were sharing a bed and she decided since she still thinks of me as her little girl, she will lean over and kiss me on the forehead. Well I woke up and there was a light on outside the room. So all I saw was this sillhouette of a person hovering over me and I start to SCREAMMMMM "NO! Don't!!!" It was more than just waking up and seeing a person there though because it took me about 1 or 2 minutes of yelling to realize it was just her and that I was half-awake. It was one of those things where you can't fully wake up for a while and come out of some sort of sleep stage, I guess.

~Sarah

• missy04
    missy04
    Yep - totally scarry, and yes, she was a dub (but we're both out now). And to make matters worse, we had talked ourselves into watching a "demonized" Halloween movie that night - so she thought for sure the dubs were right - and we had invited Satan himself into our house.

- CF

LOL what movie did you guys watch?

Scary movies are the worst when it comes to having to sleep peacefuly afterwards!!!

I watched Hannibal once (never again) and had a dream I woke up in a cold, completely red room with Lecter standing over me "Hello, Clarice"

I think I mentioned in another thread once that if I am asleep with the television on, I will inevitably dream about whatever I hear. If I am dreaming and a shoot-em-up movie has come on the tube, I will dream that I am in the middle of a shooting, ect. I had a dream about a flood a few months back...Out of the blue I looked out the kitchen window and everything was being washed away and when I woke up the first thing I said was "you all were talking about floods, huh." They were like "yah, why?" It's so weird. I make very sure that I fall asleep to PEACEFUL tv shows or very soothing movies.

~Sarah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit