Unity vs. Uniformity

by confusedjw 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Wasn't the thought that we were so unified a comforting one when you were in the congregation? Only to realize that kicking everyone out that disagrees or forcing people to act a certain way "in the name of God and the WT" produces Uniformity and not unity.

There is a difference, which of course are worlds apart.

Did you notice this while in? What value do you place on unity now? I'm morally opposed to presenting a "unified front" if I'm not actually of the same mind, as is done by elder bodies and the WT.

Unity at all costs! Even it if means Uniformity based on Falsehoods!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

"In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, diversity; in all things, charity": Augustine.

"Noooobody expects the spanish inquisition! Our three chief weapons are surprise, fear and an unquestioning devotion to the pope and... nice red uniforms!": Monty Python.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Yes, I did notice the unity=uniformity mind-bent of the organization. It was one of the things that started bothering me through the years because of the pharaisaical superficialty of it all. There were times when circumstances got in the way of meeting attendence. During those time I not only made it my habit to read the Bible (and I mean really read it) and to study various christian qualities without the direction of the Org.. This helped to realize that what Jesus taught is really at odds with what the Org. would have us believe God wants of us.

Jesus wanted real, internal changes, much like what anthropologists call a "mazeway realignment." He condemned the rule-driven lifestyle that is so much the norm for any good Dub. As I grew in my understanding, I was repulsed by the increasing devotion of oneself to the Org. before everything else being preached from the podium. I was shocked by the constant aggrandization of the "FDS" and the continued emphasis on rules, rules. Such worship is cold-h4earted and self-serving, and it is easy for me to see why so many here are now agnostics and even atheists. Who wouldn't be if that really represents what God is? I am glad that I, myself, and others have come to very different conclusions after reading Jesus' potrayal of his loving father.

Jesus called us to freedom, not slavery to an uncaring corperation. To me that is a liberating thought. Genuine Christian worship is about who we are inside, not about how we appear on the outside. If there is one thing that the experience of the Israelites with the law should teach us, it is that none of us can become worthy of fellowship with God by following dozens of rules and regulations. By our very fallen nature that is an impossibility. Fellowship with God is a gift. And it can't be obtained by anyother means than God giving it to us. Any other path is doomed to failure!

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    Genuine Christian worship is about who we are inside, not about how we appear on the outside.

Boy you didn't learn anything did you?

• TheListener
    TheListener

I've always felt (well, since becoming eeeeevil ) that a lot of those in org. are there precisely because of the enforced uniformity. They don't want to think about what to do. They want to be told. Memorizing a bunch of mindnumbing rules and regulations is much easier than reasoning out various situations. When a circumstance comes up that isn't covered by memorized knowledge they break out the CD rom to see what they should do. If that doesn't work they call a favorite elder to guide them.

I've always felt (again, since becoming eeeeevil that getting a dub to reason on a matter using their own understanding is one of the most difficult things to do. They aren't comfortable making a decision unless it's from a memorized rule, cd rom or stated by an elder.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Thanks, Confused.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    I was shocked by the constant aggrandization of the "FDS"

This was one of the things that got to me also. I tired quickly of all the self-congratulatory pats on the back the organization kept giving themselves for even the most significant things.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Hey Confused - you stole my topic!

I was going to start a thread of this very subject today. I was reading Ray's CoC last night and it is an expression that he used.

The WTB&TS talks about unity when what they require of its members is uniformity.

Eyeslice

• barry
    barry

LT I think that is 'in non essentials liberty'

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    I was going to start a thread of this very subject today. I was reading Ray's CoC last night and it is an expression that he used.

What Ray stole my topic? Eyeslice I too got this from CoC and have thought about it a lot. It was so obvious after I read it, I chaffed against it, but I didn't identify it as Uniformity over Unity.

We're cool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit