Biggest mistake of my life

by SixofNine 27 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Never let it be said that I passed on an opportunity to call Craig weird.

I no longer believe in a "Jehovah," but I do believe that there is a Prime Cause.

You've heard the term "a distinction w/o a difference"? Well, you just made a distinction WITH a difference. A differance so huge, that drawing similarities between your dedication (a Jehovahs Witness term, thru and thru) to "jah" vs your "whatever" to some vague "Prime Source" (isn't that a lending company?), is just..... weird.

I know that no apologies whatsoever are required from me to the Prime Cause.
    As the Prime Cause of this here thread, could I get an apology from you for posting existentialist bullshit into it?
  • onacruse
    onacruse
    existentialist bullshit

roflmao...you worthless piece of still-existing bullshit.

Yes, indeed there are distinctions without a difference. And "dedication," as others have observed above, can be dishonest at the moment of inception. So be it, and no judgment against it.

But the title of your thread: "Biggest mistake of my life,"...reminded me of so many things I've myself pondered over, and changed within myself, these last 2 years--

1) Was I "guilty"?

2) Was it the "biggest" mistake?

In answer to #2: Yes, in retrospect, it was overwhelmingly the greatest mistake I've ever made in my life;

In answer to #1: Only insofar as being a being.

As for apologies to you, my friend...I'm calculating the damages as we speak. LOL

Craigster

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

er... I meant ex-intentionalist ;-)

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

ACEofCAD

I was 15 at the time when I did that. Kind of funny now, since the reason that got baptized is because one of my younger sisters was getting baptized. Being the oldest I could not let her get baptised before I did. lol Oh well

I got baptised under similar circumstances at the same age. I realised my 13-year-old sister was "working towards baptism" so I decided it was time for me to get baptised too. I almost succeeded in convincing myself that I hadn't known, and that my decision was entirely personal. I had been thinking about it, but probably wouldn't have done anything on my own initiative. When my older brother found out two of his younger siblings were getting baptised, he decided to as well. Interestingly, he's the only one who's still an active JW. My youngest sister had the good sense never to get dunked.

• teejay
    teejay

Getting married the first time.

• heart2heart
    heart2heart

Funny how the WTBS brags about not baptising babies like other churches do, because in the Bible, only men and women were baptised.... yet they will allow children as young as 7 to get baptised! How did we ever overlook that? I'm sure most of us thought "wow, that child is so mature!" - not really, they just know all the answers to the questions in the green book and that life is all they know.

I was baptised at 16 (started studying when I was 14) and at the time, I felt like I was dedicating myself to GOD, not the WTBS. Admittedly tho, I didn't feel all excited and everything - being baptised at an International Convention was weird, mass baptism. It caused a lot of problems with my non-JW family, and I do regret it very much. I should have listened to them (and my gut - which I attributed to pressure from the world). I was not ready for it, and did not really think of the consequences should I change my mind down the road.

Like many others here, I am very socially inept, from those formative teenage years being so messed up. Sure, I had my fun, went to worldly parties (before, not so much after), had good friends (who I pretty much left when I got baptised ) , but then I became a real goody-goody and forsook the rest of my teenage years. Now here I am at 24, and I went to a bar last weekend FOR THE FIRST TIME. That is sad! I am struggling to learn social skills now, to make friends, to branch out and learn who I am all over again.... for someone who is naturally shy and anxious, that is not a very easy thing to do.

At the same time though, if I had not studied and gotten baptised, I would not be married to Kwin or have our wonderful kids, so it turned out ok in the end. I just chalk it up to experience and am trying to move on and move up. Now I can get a better education and a decent (non-minimum-wage) job that actually stimulates my brain. (I thought my brain had gone numb from having kids and no time to myself - turns out it was the WTBS' fault, lol).

Heart2Heart

• ddean3673
    ddean3673

I'd say that was part of the series of decisions I was influenced to make that caused me to be socially underdeveloped. An outward expression of my social retardation and total disregard for accepting responsibility to myself to become a better person by learning about EVERYTHING and making decisions based on that knowledge...I acquieced to popular opinion, peer pressure, and lost the real truth...the true me.

But then again like so many more have said already...it's what we were taught to do by the only people we had to learn from.

dd

• Will Power
    Will Power

Hi H2H,

Funny how the WTBS brags about not baptising babies like other churches do, because in the Bible, only men and women were baptised.... yet they will allow children as young as 7 to get baptised! How did we ever overlook that? I'm sure most of us thought "wow, that child is so mature!" - not really, they just know all the answers to the questions in the green book and that life is all they know.

In the bible in more than one place - Acts: 11: 14, Acts: 16:15 , Acts: 16:31, Acts 16:33, to name a few - it is said that whole households were baptized at once. Since there was no birth control during these times, wouldn't there be small children living in these households?

Some of these passages seem to allude to one person believing and because he is baptized, his whole household will be saved. Not to mention that some were taken "that very hour of the night.....and immediately he was baptized, he and all his household."

Big mistake: giving weight to anything spewed by the god of brooklyn.

The real God must be furious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit