Do you Long for a World Without Fear?

by jgnat 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

This is the key marketing ploy of the WTBTS. Play on peoples' natural fears, then promise to make it all go away. For a small introductory price. As Blondie patiently, persistently reminds us, "Jehovah's sovereignty" takes a firm second place in the WT lexicon.

"Do you Long for a World Without Fear?" is the title of the back article of the November 15, 2004 Watchtower. This article rankled. It selectively quotes doctors also selectively quoted by Newsweek then blandly declares that the world is a more fearful place. Jesus Christ indicated that such emotions would intensify in the near future. (Note that they do not claim that our world is truly more dangerous). Covering their bases again, JW apologists can now insist that our world is getting worse because we feel that way, regardless of observable facts. My argument would have been stronger before the terrible tsunami, of course. But I still maintain we live in a safer, healthier, and happier world today. That the entire world can be inspired to compassion and action, shows that we do expect to see our children grow to adulthood, and that we will reach a healthy old age. World expectations for health, peace, and prosperity is rising, because we are now capable of meeting that goal. I believe the WT is fully aware that they are creating their own market by inciting fear, then peddling the paradise dream. I believe they also know that both the fear and the dream are fabrications. Shame on them.

The selective quote:

"We're living in a 'chronic heightened state of alertness and...helplessness.' prompted by a 'poorly defined...danger that could strike at any time in an form without warning.'"

The complete Newsweek article:
    http://www.brandeis.edu/lemberg/Teacher_Development/our%20bodies,%20our%20fears.pdf

Another quote from that same article:

"Iraqi civilians are no doubt asking the same question. Israelis and Palestinians have asked itfor decades. And though America's current worries may seem unprecedented, the current situation has nothing on the 1918 flu pandemic or the Cuban missile crisis. Yet none of that makes living with fear any easier."

By the way, the doctors quoted, Sigal and Hassett, are studying various chronic diseases, and no doubt, the effect of chronic fear on our health. Here is one of their articles, which I cannot access online. Contributions of societal and geographical environments to "chronic Lyme disease": the psychopathogenesis and aporology of a new "medically unexplained symptoms" syndrome.

(WT quotes in red. Other sources in quotes boxes)

• jgnat
    jgnat

...and what is the Newsweek cure for chronic fear? They conclude this way:

Anyone with a TV and an amygdala is sure to experience anxiety in the coming weeks and months. For those lacking tickets to Vegas, the best remedy may be to turn off the set, venture into the world and come home alive to remember it.

• kls
    kls

I had more fear being a JW then living in the world around me.

I had to fear Satan constantly

I had to fear worldly people

I had to fear being not good enough nitwit to make it through Armageddon

I had to fear not enough hours put into service and meetings

I had to fear Blood , Smurfs and having my children Inoculated against disease

I had to fear Apostate material

As all know that where in this cult the list is never ending and i could go on and on, so anything the world has to offer in the fear dept, i can handle it as it comes

Great post Jgnat.I know my JW husband lives in fear daily as i am sure JWS do and it is constantly pounded in their minds and the fear keeps them coming back.

• logansrun
    logansrun
    This is the key marketing ploy of the WTBTS. Play on peoples' natural fears, then promise to make it all go away.

Yep. Sounds exactly like an apocalyptic cult that started a couple thousand years ago in Galilee. "Christianity" I think it was called.

B.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

logansrun

Maybe you didn't hear the Good news.

D Dog

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I must admit - fear of dying at Armageddon was what made me want the truth =FEAR -NOT LOVE

• jgnat
    jgnat

kls - this is the trick, isn?t it. If the WTS can?t deliver paradise now, they have to keep the fear going. So their faithful followers are kept running, running, running for that ever-fading carrot. The result? Tired, apathetic, fearful followers.

logansrun

- are you going to snipe-and-run this time, or engage in a little dialogue? I admit I was running from something when I became a Christian. But I guarantee it was not from any Apocalyptic teachings. I believe that fear-for-the-future hurts both Christianity and people. Is there something else in the Christian message, perhaps, a more positive message, that also appeals to people?

Here is my latest favourite writings on the behaviour of early Christians. Their subversion had less to do with apocalyptic warnings, and more to do with a lack of appropriate worship of the current Caesar.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/pliny.html

Hi, Deputy Dog! Thanks for visiting my thread.

stillajwexeldler

- the most loving organization on earth....NOT. All the instruction in the world cannot fix this fundamental fault. One cannot teach a people to hate the world and fear the future, and at the same time ?love thy neighbour.? Regular folk are not fooled. A magazine placement is not the same as home-baked cookies.
  • BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Fear-mongering is rampant these days, and not just the JW's! The media (especially US media) is as much if not more at fault. I dont' buy it, and I refuse to pass it on.

I refuse to live in fear. I live in a neighborhood that is comfortable and safe. We do not lock our doors unless we leave overnight. We don't lock our doors at night. I feel comfortable in just about any neighborhood in Portland that I go to or through. Even the "bad" ones.

Saldy, I feel safer in Mexico than I do in general in the US.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Brenda, I agree that the Bush administration has indulged too frequently in fear mongering. I saw an absolutely horrid commercial just before the American election that suggested that terrorism and injured children are in America's future if they didn't vote in the Republicans.

But I do lock my door at night. But I keep out my welcome mat!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

stillajwexeldler - the most loving organization on earth....NOT. All the instruction in the world cannot fix this fundamental fault. One cannot teach a people to hate the world and fear the future, and at the same time ?love thy neighbour.? Regular folk are not fooled. A magazine placement is not the same as home-baked cookies.

JGNAT - PERFECTLY SAID - 100% CORRECT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit