JOHN - The Lazy Apostle ?

by Lampokey 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Orobus

I personally love all the extra info thats shared by various posters. I don't see any flaunting, not even in your own little bit about there being competing christologies. But uhmmm, correct me if I'm wrong Orbi, but I believe Q isn't a gospel per se but more a collection of Jesus' sayings. So similar to Gospel of Thomas that I've read some scholars have proposed it as Q or that there was yet another source a Common Sayings Tradition that was the source of both of the above. I like showin' off like this .

Leolaia

Yes, whatever the content, it would be valuable to see it so that more can be learned about the development and transition from oral to written tradition. Being the heretic that I am I have my biases and am still suspicious about what those stories about the resurrected peoples have to say on that. Getting a sort of inside scoop to the Apocalypse of John would have been sweet though. I'm going to have to see if the nearest university library has any of those works you've mentioned.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Oroborus,

Many of the first-hand witnesses to Jesus's acts, works and words were dying out or scattered about and the need arose to put down in writing some "official" records of what occurred, what was said and to a big extent what was meant by all of this. Much of this urgency arose from the "people in power" (orthodoxy) feeling challenged by the "heretical" schools/thinkers/believers.

Wrong start for me. Whether there was or not a historical Jesus in the first place, I think the Gospels have very little to do with the memory of "first-hand witnesses". At most some traditions have been employed in a literary creation, the agenda of which is primarily theological -- but the possible "historical" part of it is very hard, if not impossible, to establish.

Thus gospels began to be created and there were by no means just four. In fact there may have been as many as a dozen plus. Several scholars say that there was one good prototype, which they call Quelle or Q for short which was a foundation for Mark's gospel, but this is more academic whimsy than provable fact.

Not exactly: what scholars from the 19th century onward call Q is a written collection, mostly of sayings as Midget-Sasquatch said, which is presupposed by the verbal agreements between Matthew and Luke when those do not follow Mark. Iow, the only sure contents of Q are those which are not found in Mark. On the other hand, it is entirely possible that Mark knew Q and used it too (the Beelzebul passage in Mark 3, which differently parallels a Matthew-Luke verbal parallel, is a convincing example). But then it casts much doubt on the exact contents of Q.

For more on this subject: http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Papias' work had to go its way. If it had not it would have muddled the message of John's Gospel and the others. What was meant to be collected together and caused to be accepted as the four is what should have been. It's not a vast collection of sayings and works that was necessary but rather a collection of the necessary, that which was indispensible towards the producing of something good and in John's case something eternally good.

Sabrina

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Sabrina,

So here's a case for God causing events directly, isn't it? (crossing threads... )

I supposed He wanted to have the libraries of Qumran and Nag Hammadi discovered in the 20th century too...

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Narkissos,

I supposed He wanted to have the libraries of Qumran and Nag Hammadi discovered in the 20th century too...

Of course.

Sabrina

• gumby
    gumby
    Koester gives a great analysis of the composition of the Fourth Gospel and how its proto-gnostic substrate was shaped into its present form

Thanks Leolaia for that piece of info.

Nark...here is where I think we miscommunicated. John, in it's early form, may have been gnostic in content. The very early christians were gnostic. My point was....it isn't that way in it's present form......which is what we were discussing in the first place.

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:

John was written in the 2nd century to silence the heretical free thinkers as regards who Jesus was. The book of John was written to dogmatise specifics about Jesus to unify the church who wanted complete control... ...Purely the work of the Catholic editing committee.
    Nark...here is where I think we miscommunicated.

Nawww, buddy, you were blowing hot air out of your ass throughout this whole thread

But don't worry, Dolly will console ya

• metatron
    metatron

I agree, John's discussion of who Jesus was is VERY Gnostic - especially if 1:18 really does read 'only begotten god'.

metatron

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Midget-Sasquatch...Here are some quotes of Papias' interpretation of Revelation, ch. 12 (with some notes of my own):

"And Papias spoke in the following manner in his treatises: 'Heaven did not endure his earthly intentions, because it is impossible for light to communicate with darkness [this dualism sounds quite Johannine imho, N.B.]. He fell to the earth, here to live; and when mankind came here, where he was, he did not permit them to live in natural passions; on the contrary, he led them astray into many evils. But Michael and his legions, who are guardians of the world, were helping mankind, as Daniel learned; they gave laws and made the prophets wise [this view of the Law is quite non-Marcion, otoh, N.B.]. And all this was war against the dragon, who was setting stumbling blocks for men. Then their battle extended into heaven, to Christ himself. Yet Christ came; and the Law, which was impossible for anyone else, he fulfilled in his body [Christ as the living Torah is a notion found in Jewish-Christianity, and Logos as Torah in Philo of Alexandria, and similar to the Johannine view of Jesus as the descent of the Logos, N.B.], according to the apostle [which apostle?, N.B.]. He defeated sin and condemned Satan, and through his death he spread abroad his righteousness over all [this is somewhat Johannine in its understanding of Jesus' work and Passion, cf. John 12:31-32, 46-47, 16:11, 33, N.B.]. As this occurred, the victory of Michael and his legions, the guardians of mankind, become complete, and the dragon could resist no more, because the death of Christ exposed him to ridicule and threw him to earth, concerning which Christ said, "I was seeing Satan fallen from heaven like a lightning bolt" ' [Luke 10:18; here apparently, Papias interprets the Lukan logion in light of John]." (Andrew of Caesarea, On the Apocalypse, on Revelation 12:7-9).
    "But Papias says, word for word: 'Some of them,' -- obviously meaning those which once were holy, -- 'he assigned to rule over the orderly arrangement of the earth, and commissioned them to rule well.' And next he says: 'But as it turned out, their administration [taxin] came to nothing [the wording here is rather similar to the Greek text of 1 Enoch, N.B.]. And the great dragon, the ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, was cast out; the deceiver of the whole world was cast down to the earth along with his angels' " (Andrew of Caesarea, On the Apocalypse, 34.12).

Irenaeus also gives a "tradition of the elders" that probably originated in Papias, which discusses the number 666. The only thing Irenaeus says about his source is that it attests 666, and not 616:

"Now such as being the state of the case, and since this number is found in all the good and old copies, and the very men who had seen John with their own eyes testify to it, and reason teaches us that the number of the name of the Beast, according to the reckoning of the Greeks, is 666.... Some, though I do not know how, have erred, following a particular reading, and have taken liberties with the middle number of the name, subtracting the value of fifty and chossing to have only one ten instead of six" (Irenaeus, Against Heresies 5.30.1).

gumby....It is not true that all early Christians were gnostic, or even proto-gnostic. Some strains of Jewish-Christianity understood Jesus as a prophet born through the ordinary course of human generation whose role was to correctly interpret and fulfill the Torah. What is meant by the label "gnostic" anyway? There were different gnostic systems of thought which embraced different christologies and soterologies (i.e. who Christ was and what kind of salvation he brought). Are we thinking of the very elaborate Valentinian system, or popular Marcionism, or something else entirely? Proto-gnostic is useful to describing some of the early or less overtly gnostic literature (such as the Pauline correspondence, the Johannine writings, Ignatius, the Gospel of Thomas, etc.) which have latent dualism, docetism, or other features that appear in full-blown second-century Gnosticism while lacking other essential features (such as a Demiurgical understanding of creation and matter, a system of aeons and archons, emphasis of gnosis over pistis, etc.). But even here the terms are vague...

metatron....John, ch. 6 is also very striking...

• gumby
    gumby

LittleToe.......bite my white arse!

You might as well throw in your 2 bits pal......everyone who has answered this has disagreed to some degree anyway. Hey....I guess us free thinkin bastards are just as confused as the believers, since nobody can seem to agree on what the hell the situation was in Jesus day as to whether it was pro-gnostic or anti-gnostic. Regardless of the answer it's all a bunch of baloney no matter how you slice it.

*blows more smoke out his ass right in LittleToes face*

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit