JW Brochure "Keep On The Watch!"

by AlanF 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlanF
    AlanF

I just got hold of a copy of the JWs' recent 32-page brochure Keep On The Watch! I'm surprised at some aspects of it, and not at others.

I'm not surprised that it contains much of the same old clap-trap about "the urgency of the times" and "we're so close to the end now!" -- the same nonsense they've been spouting for well over a hundred years. I'm not surprised that the language continues the Society's tradition of dumbing down, being about on a third grade reading level.

I am surprised that so much of the material is oriented, not toward "giving a witness" to non-JWs, but toward encouraging the JWs themselves to keep going and following Watchtower commands. The JW-oriented material begins on page 10 and continues unabated throughout the brochure. It's easy to see that this is the focus, since JW jargon is used continually, and of course, non-JWs will have little ideas what's really being said. By page 24, the focus is entirely on motivating JWs, with the remaining material presented in the familiar numbered-paragraph style of "study articles" in The Watchtower.

Naturally, the brochure is full of the usual JW nonsense, but one thing stands out: On the title page, the title "Keep On The Watch!" is followed immediately by the questions:

For What?
    Why Is It Especially Urgent Now?

What stands out is that the first question is never answered, even though it's supposed to be the focus of the entire brochure! The internal text dances around the question a lot, often asking leading questions about the phrase "keep on the watch" and making dire implications that if one doesn't, one will suffer the fate of "this old system". About the closest the brochure comes to answering its own question is in two places:

The Bible warns of the end of the present system of things. We now live in the last days. As the end nears, are you keeping on the watch? Are you taking action so as to stay out of the danger zone? With a sense of urgency, are you warning others to do the same? [p. 21]
    20 By all means, then, let us "keep on the watch," being alert to where we are in the stream of time. (Matthew 24:42) Let us be on guard against any of Satan's temptations that could distract us. Let us never allow this cold, loveless world to prevent us from demonstrating our love for others. [p. 31]

This raising but avoiding giving an answer to a question is typical of the Watchtower's methods in the last two decades. A typical example, not deviated from in this brochure, is titling a subsection with something like, "The End Is Coming Soon" or "God's Promises Soon To Be Fulfilled", but not following through and indicating, much less proving, why anything is coming "soon".

As with so many things of the Watchtower Society, this new brochure is all smoke and mirrors, designed to frighten ignorant JWs into continuing to do the bidding of the huge publishing corporation they don't realize they're working for.

AlanF

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

AlanF,thanks for the update.If Dubs would just read their back issue of the Awake April 5 1968 Article"1975 What does it mean to you" they would realize the urgency of this newest brochure,there is none.Your absolutly right "All smoke and Mirrors"...OUTLAW

• Satanus
    Satanus

So basically, the brochure says to watch for the devil. Sad.

Satan

Ps, they're watching for me? They won't see me in a kinghall, unless they drag me

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Actually the kotw is a great idea by wts marketing. They knows only JWs really read their stuff so they made this to mostly jws. Look at the cover. You are named watchtower, the publication is "keeep on the watch" a nice rampart theme would be spot on. Yet we get a sleepy oddly man. This goes over the head of any "worldly" person. But to jws you know exactly what that cover page means. I have seen it duplicated vebatim of several watchtower covers last year. I wonder if they'll be indexed as "confused old caucasian male" or "the generation that passed away".

Also around the time of the release we were told to stop preaching about armageddon at the door, and to preach paradise only. I assume they wanted to boost sales. In all reality this publication is sadly wasted. It is filled with the wts latest campiagn of preaching to the choirs. Talk after talk of trying to convince JWs that already are baptized that the watchtower is a meaningful addition to their lives which over the years has become watchtower lite.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

reading between the lines...

The Bible warns of the end of the present system of things. We now live in the last days [but keep in mind a day to Jehovah is as a thousand years, so this might take a while] . As the end nears, are you keeping on the watch [of people?s windows for Christmas trees and other unwholesome goings-on] ? Are you taking action [like reporting them immediately] so as to stay out of the danger zone [and keep our congregation squeaky clean]? With a sense of urgency, are you warning others to do the same [so they aren?t labeled ?spiritually weak?] ?

20 By all means, then, let us "keep on the watch," being alert to where we are in the stream of time. (Matthew 24:42) Let us be on guard against any of Satan's temptations that could distract us [so that we start actually thinking about things] . Let us never allow this cold, loveless world to prevent us from demonstrating our love for other [Jehovah?s Witnesses] s. [p. 31]

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

AlanF,

I'm interested in seeing some textual examples of how the style changes, as you say, after page 10, and again at page 24. Is the paragraph numbering only after page 24? How strange.

SNG

• AlanF
    AlanF

Seattleniceguy said:

: I'm interested in seeing some textual examples of how the style changes, as you say, after page 10, and again at page 24.

Well, I suppose it's best shown by going through the table of contents, with my comments along the way. So here goes:

Page 3: "Where Is This World Heading?"
    Standard "bad old world" stuff including comments about bombings, crime, churches backing war, clergy involved in genocide and sexual abuse and coverups, church buildings sold, pollution, difficulty earning a living, malnutrition, war, pestilence. Oddly, earthquakes are not mentioned here. Idea is: this is part of a pattern of global significance. Sidebar on "Does God Really Care?"

Page 6: "What Does It All Mean?"
    Standard "end of this system" exposition on Matthew 24:1-8, Luke 21:10, 11, concluding with "the world is so very, very bad." Sidebar "The Last Days of What?" that concludes, "these are the last days of this violent, loveless system of things and those who cling to its ways." Sidebar "Is the Bible Really God's Word?" plugging the WTS book by nearly the same name.

Page 9: "Where Is Your Life Heading?"
    Theme is that most people pay little attention to the really important matters of life or where they're heading, but the Bible gives good direction. Sidebar "What Is Most Important to You?" asks how the reader would rate various issues in importance, such as entertainment/recreation, job/career, health, mate, worship of God, etc. Sidebar "Are Your Choices Leading You to Where You Really Want to Go?" on page 10 expands on previous page's sidebar. You can really start to see the JW jargon come into play here, even though an attempt is made to dress the exposition for a general audience. The last bit is the kicker. The subtitle "Worship Of God" says: "Is having the approval of God more important to me than the approval of my mate, my children, my parents, or my employer? In order to maintain a comfortable life-style, would I be willing to push service to God into second place?" Sidebar on page 11, "Consider Carefully the Bible's Counsel", asks a number of questions that expand yet again on themes of JW living. E.g., "Ask Yourself: Does my pattern of life show appreciation for this direction found in God's Word? During the past month, did I skip any Christian meetings because I let something else crowd them out?"

Page 12: "'The Hour of Judgment' Has Arrived"
    Standard exposition on Revelation, the day of God's judgment, Babylon the Great, "get out of her my people", do not love the world -- all of which would thoroughly confuse, and probaby irritate, non-JWs. Short sidebar on page 14: "When Will the End Come?" quotes Matt. 24:44, 25:13; Hab. 2:3. Longer sidebar on page 14, "Would It Make a Difference if You Knew?" gives the standard JW view on the question. Full-page sidebar on page 15 explains "The Issue of Sovereignty" using the standard methods. This page has a large picture of the great dream-image of the book of Daniel, which has a head of gold, feet of iron mixed with clay, etc. Not a word of explanation about the picture; only a JW (or perhaps SDA) would have a clue what this is about.

Page 16: "A New World According to God's Promise"
    Standard "if you're good, you will live in a paradise earth" theme. Typical pictures of paradise scenes: mountains, a pretty lake, families eating from baskets and tables overflowing with produce, a man and two small girls petting lion cubs in a zoo. Concludes with a steretypical bit of JW jargon: "The crucial question is: Are we making the needed adjustments in order to be counted worthy to be a part of that 'new earth' under the 'new heavens'?"

Page 20: "Paying Attention Saved Their Lives"
    Standard exposition on "pay attention to warnings" including "the early Christians heeded Jesus' warning to flee from Jerusulam and lived". The subtitle on page 21 appears to be general, but JWs will understand that it means "You'd better pay attention to the warning the Governing Body is giving you in this brochure!" I just about busted a gut after reading the first sentence. Here it is in its entirety:

Do You Take Seriously Warnings From Reputable Sources?
    After hearing about numerous warnings that have not materialized, many people treat all warnings lightly. However, heeding warnings may save your life.
    In China in 1975, warnings were given that an earthquake would strike. Officials took action. The people responded. Many thousands of lives were saved.
    In April 1991 in the Philippines, villagers on the slopes of Mount Pinatubo reported that steam and ash were spouting from the mountain. After monitoring the situation for two months, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology warned of imminent danger. Promptly, tens of thousands of people were evacuated from the area. Early on June 15, with a mighty explosion, more than two cubic miles of pulverized material was hurled toward the heavens and then settled over the countryside. Paying attention saved thousands of lives.
    The Bible warns of the end of the present system of things. We now live in the last days. As the end nears, are you keeping on the watch? Are you taking action so as to stay out of the danger zone? With a sense of urgency, are you warning others to do the same?

Note the JW-oriented jargon in the last sentence.

Page 22: "They Took No Note"
    People ignored cyclone warnings in Darwin, Australia and many were killed; people ignored volcano warnings in Colombia in 1985 and 20,000 were killed; you'd better heed warnings that come from God himself; note what happened with Noah, and Sodom and Gomorrah. Short sidebars on pages 22, 23 with accompanying scenes of disaster: "Was There Really a Global Flood?" and "Were Sodom and Gomorrah Actually Destroyed?" Implication is that the reader had best heed the vague warnings in the brochure, since they really come from God (even though nothing has really been stated clearly), and "KEEP ON THE WATCH!" (even though "watch for what?" has not been answered).

Page 24: "That You May Not Enter Into Temptation"
    Jesus was tempted; we today are under pressure; we must endure to the end; we must not yield to the temptations of Satan's world and quit; pray continually; God answers prayers; be realistic in our expectations so as not to grow weary; Jehovah will help us; remember the issues in God's permission of wickedness; stay close to Jehovah. Sidebar on page 25: "Some Factors That Cause Discouragement". The 20 paragraphs conclude with a sidebar on "Study Questions" in the standard Watchtower manner.

Page 28: "'Above All Things, Have Intense Love'"
    Definition of "agape" love; why we should love one another; how we demonstrate that we love others; love moves us to share the good news of God's Kingdom with others; soon this wicked world will give way to God's righteous new world. The 20 paragraphs conclude with a sidebar on "Study Questions" in the standard Watchtower manner.

Page 32: "Help to Understand the Bible"
    The usual offer of free home Bible study.

: Is the paragraph numbering only after page 24? How strange.

Yes.

AlanF

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

AF did you notice the lack of 1914? Also did you notice the lack of armageddon. I was reading the track and thinking "keep on the watch for what?" They sepend so much time trying to sound like the intro of the Captian Planet cartoon! http://www.angelfire.com/film/jonnyspage/Theme%20Tunes/Captain%20Planet/Planet%20Intro.htm

They never tell you what to look for! Think of it what event or sign was the pub telling you to look for or how (what action) to do to survive. Think of the tsunami. If you see the bay draining run to higher ground. This message was passed to a village of "Morgan's sea gypsies" by tribal elders for hunders of years, and all of them survived. Many normal fishermen ran out to pick up fish on the beach and died. This pub tells you nothing on how to survive the tribulation nor the signs to tell you when it is coming. It also does not state how to tell when armageddon starts or what exactly the JWs teach people to do when armageddon comes.

(Note since Jehovah protects nobody during the actual tribulation you can't use the argument that feild service or a study is what the wts says will protect you.)

(Also af you wana start a thread together on what does the wts teach to do during armageddon sofar it seems to be no information provided on how to actually survive. THe entire world population of JWs are just as in the dark as the world.)

• sf
  • seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Wow, thank you, AlanF, for that great summary. Reading through the content, I was overwhelmed by the feeling of limitedness - of reading the same, limited, limiting content, over and over again, with no hope or opportunity to learn anything new - that is such a hallmark of JW life.

You're right - this brochure is clearly aimed at JWs. I tried to imagine what a non-JW would think, reading this brochure, and the only people who I could possible imagine finding it enlightening would be people who already have elaborite end-time theologies in their head.

Fascinating stuff. Thanks so much for the analysis.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit