An End To The Quick-Build KH?

by Englishman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I just think that there isn't enough new converts to need NEW halls being built. I am sure they are still doing it here and there, but I don't think there is much growth in my area.

I did have lots of fun doing them, back in the day... but the safety was a joke. I remember being 14 yoa and being given an air nailer after a 5 minute lesson. I was on the roof air nailing shingles in. I even got my picture in the newspaper... but seriously who would give a 14 yoa girl an air nailer? I could have had an accident so easily.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

The quick build we were on in Cabool Missouri is still standing 19 years later. I may hate the dubs but we had some talented brothers working on the site. I installed the soundproofing in the bathroom

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

All due respect, E-man, but this sounds a little fishy to me:

I've just been talking with a recently departed dub elder. He tells me that the WTBTS are becoming very wary of lending money for KH "quick-builds". He says that, in the UK at least, there are brothers who act as building inspectors who have been appointed by the society to make sure that any new KH being built comes up to certain minimum standards before the society will part with any mortgaged money.

All Witness construction is controlled directly by the society, through the RBCs. If the Society is getting leary of quickbuilds, they wouldn't change their lending policies, they would simply tell the RBCs "no more quickbuilds" and their word would be law.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It depends on your definition of quick build also - for a while the site would be cleared in one weeknd, the foundation would be laid another weekend the bicks and mortar would go up in another weekend and the roof in another weekend - the nthe decorating and internal fixings would go up - for quite a while now a quick build usually takes about 8 weeks -so depends on your definition of quick

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I was on the roof air nailing shingles in. I even got my picture in the newspaper... but seriously who would give a 14 yoa girl an air nailer? I could have had an accident so easily.

Jeez! At our quick build, one of the regional "brothers" got a special "deal" on some cheap bricks. There was one catch. Seems that the reason they were so cheap was the rust stains from the steel bands. Soooo.... a whole bunch of sisters had to take brushes and acid and scrub them clean. Un-freaken-believeable.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

In this area, they are inspected each step of the way by non-JW government employees.

I heard a good story straight from the elder's mouth a couple years ago. Seems there was a lot of local opposition to a new Kingdom Hall being built in a very Catholic community in central Minnesota. In order to 'expedite' the process, the brothers ended up slipping the inspector some $$$ to approve their permits. I was surprised to hear such a thing would be done( I know, I am quite naive), but even more surprised that this elder was bragging about it.

No Apologies

• Robdar
    Robdar

No more quick builds? Gawd, I used to love them! Sweaty brothers with their shirts off building a temple to Jah--what a rush!

Robs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit