Andrea Yates Murder Conviction is overturned...

by TresHappy 9 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The Texas First Court of Appeals threw out today the capital murder conviction of Clear Lake mom Andrea Yates, who's serving a life sentence for drowning her children in a bathtub.

The three-member appeals court granted Yates? motion to have her conviction reversed because, among other things, the state?s expert psychiatric witness testified that Yates had patterned her actions after a Law & Order television episode that never existed. In ordering a new trial, the appellate court said the trial judge erred in not granting a mistrial once it was learned that testimony of Dr. Park Dietz was false.

?It?s unbelievable,? defense attorney George Parnham said. ?I?m stunned, unbelievably happy and desperately trying to get a hold of Andrea.?

In 2001, Yates confessed to drowning her five children, ranging in age from 6 months to 7 years, but she pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, and psychiatrists determined she suffered from schizophrenia and postpartum depression.

She told those psychiatrists that she drowned the children because they were not "righteous" and would burn in hell if she did not take their lives while they were still innocent.

Her case generated national interest and put a spotlight on postpartum depression. The case also raised questions about Texas? legal system when it deals with the insanity defense.

During her 2002 trial, Yates? attorneys argued the stay-at-home mom, who was under psychiatric care at the time of the murders, didn't know right from wrong when she filled up the family?s bathtub and drowned her children one by one.

The Harris County jury deliberated just 3-1/2 hours before convicting her of drowning three of her children. She was not tried in the deaths of her other two children.

Yates could have received the death penalty, but the jury sentenced her to life in prison instead.

Yates' attorneys vowed at the trial's end that they would appeal the case because of the testimony of Dietz, who told the jury he had served as a consultant on an episode of the television drama Law & Order in which a woman drowned her children in the bathtub and was judged insane. He testified the show aired shortly before Yates drowned her own children.

Prosecutors referred to Dietz's testimony in his closing arguments of the trial's guilt or innocence phase, noting that Yates regularly watched the show and that she had alluded to finding "a way out" when Dietz interviewed her in the Harris County Jail after the drownings.

But right after Yates' conviction, defense attorneys discovered no such episode was produced. As a result, both sides agreed to tell jurors who'd moved on to consider Yates' punishment that Dietz had erred in his testimony and to disregard that portion of his account.

Dietz later said he had confused the show with others and wrote a letter to prosecutors, saying, "I do not believe that watching Law & Order played any causal role in Mrs. Yates' drowning of her children."

Prosecutors told the Houston-based appeals court they didn't know that Dietz was wrong about the television show, and they argued the erroneous testimony wasn't material anyway.

Writing for the appeals court, Justice Sam Nuchi agreed the state hadn't knowingly used perjured testimony but expressed concern that the jury could have been prejudiced when weighing Yates' guilt.

"We conclude that there is a reasonable likelihood that Dr. Dietz's false testimony could have affected the judgment of the jury,'' the court ruled. "We further conclude that Dr. Dietz's false testimony affected the substantial rights of appellant.''

• xjw_b12
  • JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

From what I have heard, other countries in Europe handle post partum depression differently than here in the US. I'm curious to hear what the people from the UK think of this.

Personally I think her husband also need to share in the guilt, she had already been committed and had been showing signs of severe stress and depression but he chose (as supposedly a sane person) to not only let her care of her children but also get her pregnant again and again. Instead of easing her burdens and getting her help, his answer was to have more kids, it didn't make sense to me.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

It is a sad situation. I dunno...sounds like the husband dilluted himself in believing it was getting better..

They didn't convict her on all the kids deaths, so if they needed to go to court again, they would be all set. I understand the husband being glad she can get some help...but I have to tell you, if I go so crazy as to kill all my children, then let me stay in a fantasy world, or execute me. Because once you really realize what you have done, what mother would want to go on?

• elder_abuse_survivor
    elder_abuse_survivor

So what? Was she a JW? If not, then why am I wasting my time reading about something that has nothing to do with this forum?

• Valis
    Valis

Dude, you really need to get whatever bug is up your ass removed and soon, because this pissy business of going around in threads acting like a jerk is just about at its terminus. If you don't like our forum then go away. Otherwise play nice.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

elder_abuse_survivor

twice tonight I have read you comments about what does this have to being or not a JW. Do you think that as a JW or not we all do not have other intrest such as weather and news. OR NOTHING AT ALL.

I believe I really felt for you and a fellow victim of sexual abuse. Now I wonder if you have learned anything from your struggle? Seems to me a person who has survived and actively fought legally back would have looked a little into letting people be. And perhaps looked into becoming a strong and COMPASSIONATE person. Add some tactfull salt to that!

sometimes you have to talk about other things besides ONESELF. If you dont like the thread, maybe you should not post. Just my opinion. There are a lot of other discussions going on around you.

And opinions ARE like A-holes. YaH YEAH YAH

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    why am I wasting my time reading about something that has nothing to do with this forum?

I donno, why are you?

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Posting current events is done everyday on this forum. Andrea Yates did a horrible crime, many sympathize with her post-partum depression and the inability to get the help she needed before she committed these murders. Many others sympathize with her for having such a jerky husband (soon to be ex-husband, he's filed for divorce.) I for one, know she was friends with a religious fanatic. We have all escaped from one form or another of religious crazies, such as in the Watchtower.

Michael Woroniecki: Michael Woroniecki was a traveling minister from whom Rusty purchased their bus and whose religious views had influenced both Rusty and Andrea. Rusty only agreed with some of Woroniecki's ideas but Andrea embraced the extremist sermons. He preached, "the role of women is derived from the sin of Eve and that bad mothers who are going to hell create bad children who will go to hell." Andrea was so totally captivated by Woroniecki that Rusty and Andrea's family grew concerned.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I had our second child a few months ago.

With our first child I had horrible post partum depression not post partum psychosis like Andrea Yates.

It was absolutely horrible and it made me very fearful if I ever had another child to be depressed like that again.

The hospital where I had our second child has a very active day program where women who have PPD and PPP can go everyday and get help and not be alone while they care for their children.

I think this is a wonderful thing and I don't know why someone didn't think of it years ago.

Thankfully, I have had no PPD issues this time around. Maybe its because I am happier.

Maybe its because the JW's didn't ruin this birth experience and keep coming by telling me to pray harder and I'll be able to breastfeed my child, keep my house clean and be a good wife.

And for anyone grumpy and reading this - I'm sorry if this doesn't have enough to do with the Jehovahs Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit