How's this for an effective anti-Watchtower media campaign?

by nicolaou 14 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Bear with me, you'll soon see where this is going........

I was listening to Radio 5 Live (UK) this morning. A chap was being interviewed about a campaign he has started in Brighton to save his local football club and its ground - full story here. What he and his friends have done is release a record! It is now at number 10 on the midweek charts and there is no reason to suppose that it could not reach number one in the UK Singles Charts!

I've heard the single. It's nothing special, just a bunch of mates thumping out the old Piranha's classic 'Tom Hark'. It is only on sale in Brighton and on the HMV website and yet it has managed to climb into the Top Ten. Why? Because local people who support the cause are buying it - it doesn't matter that the single is crap!

So how about if we release a record? Maybe a cover of Jimi Hendrix 'All Along the Watchtower'. A couple of months ago, Swedish DJ Eric Prydz sold 23,519 copies of Call On Me to stay at the top of the chart for a third week! ( more here ) Good grief, if just half of all JWD members bought our single we could keep our apostate message at Number One for months, embarrass the shit out of the Watchtower, let a new generation of teenagers be warned about cult involvement and maybe even get on 'Top of the Pops'!!!

Sadly I have less musical talent than the writers of the Kingdom Melodies but I bet there are some of you out there who are tempted....

• Voyager
    Voyager

Nicolaou:

Sounds good to me. If it will expose their hypocrisy, then I am all for it!

Thanks Nic!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Yeah.. a sort of Feed the World thing with well known apostates each singing a line.

"Don't they know it's armageddon again......!"

Englishman.

• badboy
    badboy

`iTS aRMAGGEDDON TIME,but say for the postoned ones,do they know it armaggeddon time'

`Feed the Armageddon Frenzy as it sends one around the bendies'

• steve2
    steve2

I've a possibly better and more lucrative suggestion. Let's produce a song or two that supports the JW-line; we'd have a prospective customer-base of several million:

How about a re-wording of the Carole King double-side hit "It's Too Late"/"I Feel the Earth Move", which both had an enormous personal impact on me when they were released in 1971 - four years before 1975!

"It's Too Late" can emphasize the "end-of-the-world's-so-close-there's-nothing-you-can-do-to-stop-it" mentality and "I Feel the Earth Move" can be the "constant-citing-of-meteorological-evidence-that-the-end's-coming-any-time now" (i.e., 'earthquakes', 'men ruining the earth', unusual weather patterns, etc).

Released in the weeks leading up to the 2005 memorial, such a double-sided single would rocket to the top of the charts in time for the first crackle of unleavened bread and sip of wine.

• Simon
    Simon
    Sadly I have less musical talent than the writers of the Kingdom Melodies

Surely this is impossible?! Can people have "negative talent"?

• Triple A
    Triple A

Perhaps Prince will see the true light, get out of the WTS, and do it himself.

• belbab
    belbab

Nicolau,

I think you are onto an excellent idea.

But let's expand the idea a little.

Why limit the song lyrics and the tune and any other muscical stuff to something already out there

Over the years I have recognized a lot of talent on this board. Why not first try to find originality.

If someone can come up with some good lyrics. If there is no-one to belt it out, then someone that can, can be enlisted, yea, even hired to do it.

Now is a good time to do it. JWs are trying to cash in on the present disaster. Not only them, but other religious, self centered groups are also.

I would like to see some creativity, genuine, compassionate creativity. If an ulterior motive is behind it, such as exposing JWs then I don't believe it will fly. People do not want to see anyone put down,

Something like Live Aid, We are the World. Something that doesn't blame God, something beyond politics, nationalism, creeds, dogma etc.

We can do it!

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

We can get some XJW musicians to make the music! I can play bass, guitar or the synth.

And how about we make the proceeds go to silent lambs?

But in all honesty, we're too scattered across the globe for us to spawn a #1 hit.

What we need to do is just make a song and have the regular populace listen to it and then to buy the song.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Hell, if Ashlee Simpson can sell records, I can't see why you guys can't!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit