Just when you think Americans can't get any worse...

by catchthis 13 Replies latest social current

• catchthis
    catchthis

...along comes this guy from Cleveland --->

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050105/tv_nm/television_rat_dc_3

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Watching contestants eat dead rats on NBC's gross-out stunt show "Fear Factor" so disgusted a Cleveland man that he has sued NBC for $2.5 million, saying he could not stomach what he saw.

In a handwritten four-page lawsuit filed in federal court in Cleveland on Tuesday, paralegal Austin Aitken said, "To have the individuals on the show eat (yes) and drink dead rats was crazy and from a viewer's point of view made me throw-up as well an another in the house at the same time."

His suit added, "NBC is sending the wrong message to its TV watchers that cash can make or have people do just about anything beyond reasoning (sic) and in most cases against their will."

He said the show caused his blood pressure to rise so high that he became dizzy and light-headed, and when he ran away to his room, he bumped his head into the doorway.

In a brief telephone interview with Reuters, Aitken said, "I am not at liberty to discuss the complaint unless it is a paid-interview situation."

A spokesman for "Fear Factor" said the show would have no comment until it sees a copy of the complaint. The spokesman said the program did feature an rat-eating scene in New York's Times Square on Nov. 8.

Over the years, contestants on the program have eaten some weird things, including ground-up spiders and live worms.

Where the hell is this country heading? Just his comment about a paid interview shows his true intentions.

I think it's about time for plantiffs in these types of cases to pay for court costs, especially the defendant's.

• catchthis
    catchthis

Oh, and I suppose the remote or his thumb was broken which didn't allow him to change the channel or turn off the TV?

Genius, pure genius.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Watching contestants eat dead rats on NBC's gross-out stunt show "Fear Factor" so disgusted a Cleveland man that he has sued NBC for $2.5 million, saying he could not stomach what he saw.

that show is disgusting, and i know better than to watch it. but was that man tied to a chair at the time? good grief. p.s. "Fear Factor" isn't all of America...

• jwbot
    jwbot

That was actually the only part of Fear Factor I have had a problem with because I love animals (and rats too!) but my thums were not broken and I changed the channel...

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    "I am not at liberty to discuss the complaint unless it is a paid-interview situation."

No way this guy is for real. He is demanding they very thing he is complaining about.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

that is plain ridiculous. His suit will be thrown out, there is no way. The ratings are HIGH on fear factor and there is no way he can win his silly law suit.

FYI - all the crap they eat is sterilized before they serve it. It is either boiled or somehow sterile. But I agree, it's horrible and disgusting. That's why I don't watch it!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hell, if watching people eat rats makes him sick, why doesn't he change the channel?

He has the most powerful device in his hands for controlling what the networks show on television... when people change the channel, the networks find something else to put on.

Incense_and_Peppermints

how is his BP spiking and him bumping his head on his own doorway worth $2.5 million? besides, he caused his own "injury". i can't believe any attorney would even take this case, because it's so ridiculous.

• Satanus
    Satanus

So,, maybe the guy is really doing a pr (public relations) war, and this stuff is just props for that. Youknow, fight the company on it's own turf.

S

Incense_and_Peppermints

well, if he were on some kind of crusade, he would have worded his suit differently, citing the moral decay of society caused by the show, or something. i think he just wants a whole lot of easy money. besides, he brought it on himself. i could see if someone restrained him and forced him to watch it, like Alex in "A Clockwork Orange"...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit