UK Charity Commission - new rules

by IT Support 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IT Support
    IT Support

I was browsing the UK Charity Commission website and came across an interesting document which says:

all charities must also be for the benefit of the community or an appreciably important section of the community

A further document says:

What can you do if already-registered charities don?t demonstrate that they?re providing public benefit?
    If individual charities aren?t delivering public benefit, we will clearly need to take further action. This might include helping the charity change its activities so that it is benefiting enough of the community to show public benefit. We might also use our powers to enforce change.

Wouldn't it be fun if we could prove that WT are not providing any benefit to the public?

What do you think?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Wow....that is beautiful! I really don't think ANY religion should have charitable status if they cannot offer something that really benefits the community without asking for any spiritual commitment in return.

Okay you UK peeps....tell me, what does the JW over in the UK do so they fall within the charitable rules? I am curious!

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Ah that explains the thread (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/82994/1.ashx) discussing the UK JW contribution site listing "Disaster Relief" as an option with "Worldwide Work."

JW site:

JWD topic in "Experiences": http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/82994/1.ashx

• Earnest
    Earnest

Charities have been categorised under four heads: (i) the relief of poverty, (ii) the advancement of education, (iii) the advancement of religion and (iv) other purposes beneficial to the community within the legal understanding of the charity. The normal rule is that every organisation claiming to be charitable under the fourth head must positively demonstrate public benefit. With regard to the first three heads, we can assume (subject to evidence to the contrary) that benefit will result from bodies for the relief of poverty or the advancement of education or religion. However, that assumption may be challenged (see, for example, the decision of the Commissioners of 17 November 1999 in relation to Scientology). Details of the particular circumstances may show that no benefit would in fact arise. Or it may be that people could not back up their claim of benefit by evidence that we or the court could evaluate. Or it may be that the relative benefits and disadvantages liable to be caused by the achievement of the object showed that the likely outcome would be a net detriment to the public. If it is so challenged, those trying to register the organisation as a charity must provide factual and positive evidence that benefit may result. Additionally, even though there may be a benefit, that could in some cases be outweighed by a greater harm to the community in some other way by putting the purpose into effect. Public benefit cannot be demonstrated and no presumption of public benefit would survive if, taking into account all of the relevant facts and circumstances, on balance the purpose tends to the net harm of people.

• IT Support
    IT Support

Earnest,

(iii) the advancement of religion

Thanks for pointing out the following:

With regard to the first three heads [i.e. including the advancement of religion], we can assume (subject to evidence to the contrary) that benefit will result from bodies for the... advancement of... religion.

With WT, we can't assume anything.

However, that assumption may be challenged (see, for example, the decision of the Commissioners of 17 November 1999 in relation to Scientology).

In this case, the Charity Commissioners rejected the Church of Scientology's application for charity status. The second (of three) reasons for the decision was:

"(b) That even were CoS otherwise established for the advancement of religion, public benefit should not be presumed given the relative newness of Scientology and public and judicial concern expressed ? ie the presumption of public benefit available to religious organisations as charities was rebutted (section 8, pages 40 to 43);" (page 1)

It is significant that the Charity Commissioners took note of public concern about the Church of Scientology. That they were allegedly formed for the "advancement of religion" is irrelevant and it cannot be presumed any such religion would be given charity status.

Which, after all, is how it ought to be.

Further on, on page 40, the document states:

"The Commissioners would take a wide view of the question of public benefit and would take into account a number of factors in this connection. These would include whether there was evidence that the organisation?s purposes were adverse to religion, were subversive of morality, failed to confer recognisable charitable benefits, focused too narrowly upon its adherents or extended to too limited a beneficial class."

Is the Watchtower Society (a) adverse to religion, (b) subversive to morality, does it (c) fail to confer recognisable charitable benefits, and is it (d) focussed too narrowly upon its adherents?

(a) adverse to religion: WT's opposition to 'Christendom' and 'Babylon the Great' is well known and documented.

(b) subversive to morality: WT's "theocratic war strategy" damns them by their own words. Their inhumane treatment of those who are expelled from or leave their religion, plus their disdain for 'worldly' persons who do not accept their 'Kingdom message is contrary to civilised behaviour.

(c) fail to confer recognisable charitable benefits: even when there is a disaster, WT does not dip into its own funds to provide relief, but asks congregations to send them funds, some proportion of which--and who knows how much--will undoubtedly reach the intended recipients.

(d) focussed too narrowly upon its adherents: the only body to benefit from their charitable status is Watchtower Society.

In each case, WT fails.

Going back to Earnest's helpful quotation:

Details of the particular circumstances may show that no benefit would in fact arise.

So each individual religion's "particular circumstances" would have to be examined: not a prospect I would expect WT leaders to embrace.

Or it may be that people could not back up their claim of benefit by evidence that we or the court could evaluate.

Precisely.

Or it may be that the relative benefits and disadvantages... showed that the likely outcome would be a net detriment to the public.

While some here most likely would disagree, I think that there is some degree of benefit to the public from JWs preaching activity. E.g. I think some benefit is derived by the elderly and housebound by the social contact they have with Witnesses visiting their homes. But it is very limited, and greatly outweighed by the disadvantages: "the likely outcome would be a net detriment to the public."

If it is so challenged, those trying to register the organisation as a charity must provide factual and positive evidence that benefit may result.

That would be an interesting read.

Additionally, even though there may be a benefit, that could in some cases be outweighed by a greater harm to the community in some other way by putting the purpose into effect.

Where to start? Shunning, hate, blood, paedophiles, mind control, mental ill-health...

Public benefit cannot be demonstrated and no presumption of public benefit would survive if, taking into account all of the relevant facts and circumstances, on balance the purpose tends to the net harm of people.

It doesn't look like WT has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding. Awww.

Can we help them along the way??

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

That is very interesting IT Support. I think you may have something there.

• Gill
    Gill

Well if all else fails they could always try applying to the National Lottery for funding!

• Earnest
    Earnest

IT Support,

Apart from the identification of the Watchtower Society as a charity, there are a number of congregations registered as charities (I counted 34 at http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/). Whether or not it would serve any purpose to challenge that status is a moot point but I wonder how many would be able to defend it.

Earnest

• IT Support
    IT Support

Earnest ,

Apart from the identification of the Watchtower Society as a charity, there are a number of congregations registered as charities (I counted 34 at http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/ ).

The government requires any organisation that wishes to benefit from Deeds of Covenant (now, I think, replaced by Gift Aid) to be registered as a charity. The Society recommends that most congregations register to benefit from this provision. I suspect probably 90% of congregations would be registered (though I'm not sure how many that should make the number of registered congregations!).

Whether or not it would serve any purpose to challenge that status is a moot point but I wonder how many would be able to defend it.

I agree with your second comment: very few, if any. As for your first point, once the charity status of WT, IBSA and other subsidiary organisations are revoked, I would expect the congregations to follow automatically.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit