Bibles view of women and children.

by Norm 12 Replies latest jw friends

• tergiversator
    tergiversator

gsark,

Actually, their actions make perfect sense if you don't think they were divinely directed. The Isrealites killed off all of the adults because that's what warring tribes did in those days - and of course you didn't want any sons left alive because they might grow up to try to take vengeance against the slaughter of their parents. Girls, on the other hand, girls were useful. You could always use an extra concubine or subjugated worker.

And as for killing off the women to avoid venereal disease... I would tend to think these diseases are not so rampant as you would think, else how would the other tribes have survived long enough for the Israelites to conquer them? I think it is more likely a result of a cultural fixation on virginity, plus the practical realization that young girls are easier to assimilate than grown women.

The only place God necessarily comes in here is in justification for why the Israelites had to slaughter everyone in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

-T.

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy,

In actuality, one man was needed - and a lot of women. Women died in childbirth, along with their babies, not men. One man could have many wives and concubines, servants, prostitutes, just about any woman he could afford. The woman was never allowed that freedom.

Men hunted, hearded, went to war - women pretty much did the rest. As for veneral disease, well, men were with women as often (or more so) than vice versa. That really didn't come into play. All nations seemed to survive on about the same scale as for diseases.

The virgin part? Necessary for the male ego. A "used" woman wasn't much good except as a servant. To my knowledge, a bride's price (dowery) wasn't paid for a "used" woman.

The virgin girls, female children and animals were considered valuable, trainable, and useful by males. Males were considered as potential adversaries.

Btw, in the feline cat family, it's about the same. A female mother will hid her new litter of kittens from any and all males - including the father of the litter. He will kill all the males, allow the females to grow - his next sexual coupling.

waiting

• sableindian
    sableindian

There is also an interesting point here. Aren't there a lot of virgins for a nations (Canaanite) that was supposed to have no morals?

People have just GOT to think! This proves that not all the females were leg gapping whores! sheesh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit